Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 07:29 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,011 times

Advertisements

Why are people leaving Wisconsin? State ranked in top 10 for out-migration : Ct

People are leaving, more than coming.!!!See above article.

Our schools are being undermined by the current Governor. Also this administration is very anti small business, and working class lower middle class/upper lower class.

We are leaving after a lifetime here, for better work opportunities, better pay, better culture, better schools and better climate.

Walker is the most tyrannical Governor this state has seen in my 48 years.

Watch out for those so called "tax cuts" He will give you 1 cent tax break, give his wealthy buddies the other 99 cents, and then slip a new expense your way to get that 1 cent back..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 07:52 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
LOL at there being a large number of 100k teachers, and even a larger LOL at the idea of 100k salary person being a 1%. Might want to add a couple of zeros.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:46 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milt14 View Post
Depends upon where as the manufacturing industry is changing and WI is recovering from a very anti-business governance in the last administrations. More businesses will start to flee IL and go to IN and WI. Recreational and farming areas have always been tuff markets.

Madison has always been called "recession proof" because madison's economic engine is government, coming in from the rest of the states or federal going to the state. It's sort of a place to launder taxpayer money if ya think about it. And with government becoming more and more in control of more and more of a persons life and their community and their place of work and recreation, more and more government will be needed, thus grow.
True. D.C. is booming as well.
To the average person, Wisconsin is cold, jobs aren't the best paying, taxes are higher than average, and there are plenty of opportunities to be found elsewhere.
Culture is it's biggest selling point. Safe, clean, pride of ownership everywhere, nostalgic, traditional, family friendly....
Okay, culture to an extent, meaning as long as politics aren't involved.
Seeing a child's school teacher standing on the sidewalk of an overpass screaming in anger that she can no longer collective bargain against those greedy middle class taxpayers........ Makes my stomach turn.
Standing up to greedy corporations is one thing, but public sector unions should keep in mind who they are directly affecting the most. If anything, they should be standing with their fellow citizens for responsible government instead of gouging them.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
LOL at there being a large number of 100k teachers, and even a larger LOL at the idea of 100k salary person being a 1%. Might want to add a couple of zeros.
In most places I've lived, 100k would be 1%ers.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
In most places I've lived, 100k would be 1%ers.

Misuses the term. It applies to the ultra rich. People that have a few million aren't 1%s. You can't draw walls around of town of 1200 then claim the guy that owns a small business a 1%.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Misuses the term. It applies to the ultra rich. People that have a few million aren't 1%s. You can't draw walls around of town of 1200 then claim the guy that owns a small business a 1%.
I know what 1% means and I've lived in many places, big cities and small towns alike.
Point is, 100k will give you a far-above average lifestyle in most places I've lived.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I know what 1% means and I've lived in many places, big cities and small towns alike.
Point is, 100k will give you a far-above average lifestyle in most places I've lived.

So you're using 1% to describe an upper middle class lifestyle in a medium to low income part of the country. Got it.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:00 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
Quote:
According to this, one needs over $500,000 in annual hh income to qualify as a one-percenter:

Who are the 1 percent? - The Washington Post

But if the 1% is used more metaphorically to mean "people with relatively high incomes," then $100,000 could qualify, though such a figure wouldn't go too far in some parts of the country.

But beyond that, I doubt many grade school teachers in Wisconsin are making $100,000, and if they are, they're either administrators on the side or have been working for 40+ years at the job.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:02 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,907,004 times
OP: I happened to be browsing and saw your thread. I grew up in Wis. and most of my family still lives there. You will not regret the move to Texas. Yes, the property taxes are high, but the no state income tax is huge. Not only that, but the growing economy is also a big plus. Home values are generally lower also, and the schools in many of the DFW burbs are excellent. You even save on that dreaded heat bill over the winter. More sunny days also. My wife and I love Wis., IN the Summer, but no more winters for us. We, like lots of other folks I know that have moved south would never move back. Oh, one last thing. Very few mosquitoes.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
But if the 1% is used more metaphorically to mean "people with relatively high incomes," then $100,000 could qualify, though such a figure wouldn't go too far in some parts of the country.
I wouldn't even count that as significantly high since I know some people that go right from undergrad into 100k positions and many many low level (not mid level) managers that make 100k+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin