U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 09:03 AM

2,936 posts, read 4,540,330 times

Advertisements

Hi, interviewing in Lake Geneva next week, and I keep hearing and reading stuff about the horrible taxes in Wisconsin. How bad is it really? Property taxes seem much more reasonable in the LG area than elsewhere in the region. What other taxes contribute to this reputation as one of the country's worst tax burdens? Do the tax laws in WI negatively affect your quality of life? We have 4 kids and need to squeeze every penny we can. We also have an opportunity to move to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area in Texas where there's no state income tax, but I would rather keep us in the Midwest if I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 12:31 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,567,727 times
I look at property taxes this way, life time of paying taxes adds up for instance. 30 year old buys a house with $6,000 property taxes and his friend buys a house with lower property taxes of $3,500. Carry this out to age 70 or longer if you want. but this is how it stacks up.

You could pay $240,000 of property taxes over your life time or $140,000. I'll take the extra $100,000 over a lifetime.

Most people here don't seem to care as much as say I do about taxes but when you're cheap you look at these things. We were approved for a 300,000 home and we started looking all over the Milwaukee area city and burbs and taxes are typically lower in the burbs than the city although the North Shore burbs I think take the cake. $300,000 for a house and depending where you live who wants to pay $8-10,000 a year on property taxes! that's $670-$835 bucks a month just on property taxes! I'd rather spend a lot less on a home and in an area with low property taxes.

Taxes out in the country are cheaper but when you talk to people out of state from low property tax states even 3-5,000 a year is expensive for them. So I guess it depends on how much you want to spend and what you're used to.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:32 PM

The property taxes are high in Texas, too. What about this "Labor tax" I keep hearing about in WI.....what is that?

Old 02-09-2014, 03:15 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,998,171 times
At least you're looking outside of Dane County. The property taxes in Madison are usually a shocker for those not accustomed to them, and the property values tend to be inflated as well which makes the tax burden even worse.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:59 PM

5,551 posts, read 6,979,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Taxes out in the country are cheaper but when you talk to people out of state from low property tax states even 3-5,000 a year is expensive for them. So I guess it depends on how much you want to spend and what you're used to.
Property taxes in Michigan are typically $3500-6500 per year.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Property taxes in Michigan are typically $3500-6500 per year.
I paid $1600 last year in Emmet County, MI. I know I'm not going to find anything like that within a couple hours of Chicago in WI, and am not expecting to, but we're not buying for at least a year after we move anyway.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
I paid $1600 last year in Emmet County, MI. I know I'm not going to find anything like that within a couple hours of Chicago in WI, and am not expecting to, but we're not buying for at least a year after we move anyway.
You won't find anything less than $3500 a year in the Detroit area.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:57 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,748,562 times
I don't know that it affects quality of life that much, but if you're from a lower-tax state, the sticker shock will be an adjustment for sure.
The taxes on our house where we moved from was 800 a year. Similar house, similar neighborhood in Milwaukee burbs? Over 4000. Before somebody says, "they get their money somehow", um, no. Taxes and fees were substantially cheaper across the board. So was real estate.
Seems like a lot of things were a little more expensive in Wisconsin than where we were from. I think the taxes and regulations had a lot to do with that. Problem was, the wages were the same. So in our case, the spare change we would have had otherwise simply wasn't there. But, everyone's situation is different. Coming from some other states, Wisconsin might seem not so bad or perhaps even a bargain.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I don't know that it affects quality of life that much, but if you're from a lower-tax state, the sticker shock will be an adjustment for sure.
The taxes on our house where we moved from was 800 a year. Similar house, similar neighborhood in Milwaukee burbs? Over 4000. Before somebody says, "they get their money somehow", um, no. Taxes and fees were substantially cheaper across the board. So was real estate.
Seems like a lot of things were a little more expensive in Wisconsin than where we were from. I think the taxes and regulations had a lot to do with that. Problem was, the wages were the same. So in our case, the spare change we would have had otherwise simply wasn't there. But, everyone's situation is different. Coming from some other states, Wisconsin might seem not so bad or perhaps even a bargain.

Where did you move from?

Old 02-10-2014, 11:58 AM

3,823 posts, read 8,920,381 times
we were in the Madison area for a couple decades+, before moving to SC in 09. We ran into the opposite of what those who move to WI find; that down here the prop taxes on homes are far less then WI (and yes locals can still complain). Our home in WI, assessed 220k at the time, ran about 4k in taxes. Our home here that's assessed at 350k is around 2200 in taxes. Even adding in prop taxes paid on cars/boats here, we are still less then WI. And in many cases and for us (empty nesters now), that worked out great.

That said, in a state that hauls in less prop tax, seems schools can be affected. While one can find a very good district here, it's too easy to find one that's not. Obviously not every school in WI is top rated, but we accepted our higher taxes there as our child went to a good district and for us that was of high importance. Down here, it's almost like the goal is to move into the better district, not necessarily the better town (if that makes sense).

My rambling in a nutshell, yes WI taxes are higher then other locations, but the trade-off for some can be accepted. Now the overall cost of housing there? Well that may be for another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin