U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:39 PM

335 posts, read 1,139,896 times

Advertisements

for the cold and the storms?? the storm is coming and the power will most likely be out for a time and in the country for several days. Did you do your northern prep or are you unprepared. ENJOY we wisconsinites love da storms!!! Bring it on. Hope we see 18 inches and and inch of ice!!!!.. By the way anyone been out ice fishing yet. There are about 4 inches on my area lakes and saw folks out today..... Be careful of da ice though as she is not set in yet!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 04:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,796,095 times
You lose power in snow storms?? Having lived in MN most of my life, I have never had a power outage because of a snow storm--even when we lived in rural MN. BRING ON THE SNOW!!

Old 12-01-2007, 06:20 AM

335 posts, read 1,139,896 times
did you have underground rural electric in mn golfgal? some places in wi have it, but most don't. if you have underground that is good, but overhead with snow and wind=branches and trees down, and some knucklhead always drives into a powerpole. we usually lose power in big snowstorms and if there is ice it's a done deal!!

Old 12-01-2007, 06:27 AM

673 posts, read 2,993,630 times
I am in VA and all my family is from Manitowoc...I've been watching the weather and wanting to jump on a plane to get there before the snow hits so I can have a white Christmas!!! No signs of that here anytime...I'm so jealous!

Also, we've never lost power in snow storms in WI and I lived there for 19 years. Even with some ice we were fortunate. I wasnt in the country, just in a very small village.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:59 AM

396 posts, read 1,578,839 times
2-6 inches are predicted here followed by some ice. We've never lost power here, but now I've probably cursed myself. The pond by our house only has a thin layer of ice on it. The big lakes are no where near frozen down here.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:25 AM

3,198 posts, read 11,816,816 times
Hell, I am a native Wisconsinite, but also sort of a transplant (lived in the Southwest for four+ years before moving back to WI) and I am not sure that I am ready for the storm!!!

I guess the snow will be nice, but man, that ice, freezing rain, and sleet just sounds nasty. It has been bitterly cold the last couple of weeks too...it is hard to fathom that it is only just DEC 1!

Seeing the extended forecast for the city I recently left (Albuquerque, NM) with highs in the high 50s and low 60s makes me not necessarily wish I weren't in Wisconsin, however, it DOES make me wish it were September rather than December I think!!

Old 12-01-2007, 10:47 AM

323 posts, read 1,877,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berries View Post
for the cold and the storms?? the storm is coming and the power will most likely be out for a time and in the country for several days.
The folks I've talked to around town all have said that the power doesn't go out around here very often. It did go out once a few years back but that was in the middle of the summer and was due to a tornado that came through town.

Are we ready for winter yet? Hopefully, but there are probably things that we still need to work out about prepping for Wisconsin winters. We'll learn and do a better job next year.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,509 times
Default We're ready

Been back in WI since 10/1/07 and we are ready!

Two of my 3 kids were born in Wisconsin so even though we are purely Southern, we feel at home in Wisconsin and love the snow and ice and all the things with it!

Old 12-01-2007, 06:01 PM

12,802 posts, read 12,618,193 times
Sitting here listening to what sounds like sleet now hitting the window and vent for my fireplace. I'm ready, came from NE Illinois so this isn't much different than there, actually excited about my first bigger snow! Do hope the power doesn't go out though that wouldn't be too much fun!

Old 12-01-2007, 09:20 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,714,656 times
How can you live in the country w/o a generator?? That is just dangerous considering you can easily loose power for a couple days. Pipes will freeze in short time with sub zero temps.

And, around here anyways, if you are at the end of a lonely country road you get LAST priority when the electricity goes out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin