Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 12:20 AM

12 posts, read 58,841 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how a pawn shop knows if a fire arm is stolen?

Is there a center register to report stolen firearms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 09:48 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,500,576 times
Unsure but think pawnshops have to run serial numbers to see if reported as stolen just like a gun shop and such.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:41 AM

Thanks, but do you know who has the list, ATF, FBI or who I can not find anyone to give the list to.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:39 PM

Sheriff's dept usually post list and goes to FBI. I know had a gun one time a old shotgun and after some problems with ex it had a hit for a stolen gun from Georgia. Must be in a data base somewhere and as long as this was reported should have them on the list and if serial number pops up somewhere the contacts are made. Did you have pics of these guns as this way can look for identifying marks on them.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:19 PM

Default Gun list attached

list is shown under Ad "Marinette Stolen Guns"

I gave the list to the Sheriff Office and all the Clerk said was, "I'll give it to dispatch" they did not know what to do with it, so I don't think they rely to the FBI. Review the list and send it around it you would. The value of the guns is about $25,000.00, so we would like to recover, part of my brother retirement plan.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:17 AM

Sent a DM with more info for you..That clerk you talked to sounded like a real airhead.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:16 PM
stg

5 posts, read 28,041 times
Default Pawnshops

Pawnshops can not legally have the access to check for stolen status on any property, including firearms. Some police departments require the pawnshops to provide the serial numbers and the police departments check the serial numbers for stolen status.

There are times an item is stolen, the police department doesn't find out until after the pawnshop sells the item. The person who bought the item may have to give it to the police department for the rightfull owner to get it back. Buy at your own risk.

Pawnshops are required by WI law to keep an item for 30 days before selling it. Many municipalities have their own requirements for pawnshops and secondhand shops (there is a difference).

Old 12-06-2007, 02:22 AM

Default Well just what I was thinking until, NCIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stg View Post
Pawnshops can not legally have the access to check for stolen status on any property, including firearms. Some police departments require the pawnshops to provide the serial numbers and the police departments check the serial numbers for stolen status.

There are times an item is stolen, the police department doesn't find out until after the pawnshop sells the item. The person who bought the item may have to give it to the police department for the rightfull owner to get it back. Buy at your own risk.

Pawnshops are required by WI law to keep an item for 30 days before selling it. Many municipalities have their own requirements for pawnshops and secondhand shops (there is a difference).
Thank you for responding, but what I have learned in the last two days is

1. it is illegal to have a stolen gun knownly or not. in WI. MI forget you can not even what ever, you need a carrier permit on MI.
2. a lisences dealer collect or pawn shop has a number to call to check the NCIC on the spot,give or take a few, but he ord she can notd make the deal without a positive response from NCIC.

can I send you to dreamhunter65. ?

Old 12-06-2007, 02:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAR1019 View Post
Thank you for responding, but what I have learned in the last two days is

1. it is illegal to have a stolen gun knownly or not. in WI.
Something tells me this is a misstatement of the law. How does someone come to know that it's stolen without being in possession of it? There's no orange tag attached to a stolen gun that says, "Hey, I'm stolen, don't buy me, sell me, keep me in your drawer, pick me up, etc." Once you learn it's stolen, what are you supposed to do with it, throw it in a dumpster so that you no longer possess it? How do you turn it in to the authorities without possessing it? Lay it in the middle of a field and tell them it's there?

And for that matter, how about telling us what your actual issue is instead of being evasive about it? That might help us get to the bottom of it more quickly.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:33 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,324,340 times
Are you saying you had guns stolen?

Did you file a police report? I would think the police officer that you filed the police report would be responsible for getting that information out. If for some reason they are not getting that information out then I would be likely to take a copy of the police report to the local pawn shops myself.

If you SAY you had guns stolen and didn't file a police report then you are probably SOL on ever seeing them again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
View detailed profiles of: