Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 10:51 PM

432 posts, read 541,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay2bay View Post
No need for you to LOVE to see Green Bay thrive. Green Bay is fine.
i've always thought when people say that, it can be translated into, "if they just would do what I want them to do or be what I want them to be like".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 01:22 AM

7 posts, read 9,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milt14 View Post
i mostly throw the fish back, but if i get a good sized walleye i'll keep it and eat it. can eat one of those a week. cleaning them is too much work for me unless it's a big, good eating one.
You can eat one fish per week and not DIE but I hardly think that's something you should feel reassured about! In fact the levels of contaminants in WI natural waters is atrocious and VERY unhealthy - I didn't eat the fish and I didn't drink the water when I lived there... though WI in general has some of the most unhealthy drinking water in the nation (massive farm run-off contaminating everything a primary issue).

I lived in Green Bay and although it has major issues it isn't a terrible place if you keep a positive attitude... although with the extreme cold that sometimes becomes impossible!

After living in many parts of WI I'd rank Green Bay and surrounding areas right about in the middle. I lived in a great neighborhood and made many there friends but ultimately, Green Bay does indeed lack vision and leadership and really suffers as a result of the Scott Walker wars and related State political theater.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarewellToFondy View Post
In fact the levels of contaminants in WI natural waters is atrocious and VERY unhealthy
what is your source for that?
i could see that down in the southern part of the state. madison's lakes are containers of pea soup, fungus covered dead fish and most people get swimmer's itch if they dare go into them once the water warms up.

around where I live, we have a lot of aquafirs and the water just shoots out of the ground. there are a couple of places alongside the road where someone put in a pipe so people can go there and fill up water containers. we use it for our fish tank as it's not treated water. some locals have had it checked and it's quite good water. these run year around.

in some areas around here there is a lot of iron in the water up here and further north though and it tastes irony, if that's a word.

Quote:
vision and leadership
you mean your vision and the leaders you want?

Quote:
the Scott Walker wars
which "wars" are these? are these the same thing as the proclaimed "war on women" and "war on minorities" and "war on the poor" and "war on the elderly" that were all made up slogans so low information voters wouldn't have to actually think and do a little research on candidates before they vote?

Old 04-10-2014, 08:05 AM

365 posts, read 776,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarewellToFondy View Post
I lived in Green Bay and although it has major issues it isn't a terrible place if you keep a positive attitude.
University of Vermont did a study on where in America people are happy. Interestingly enough, Green Bay was one of only two cities east of the Mississippi that made the cut. I'm not big on these types of studies, or ten best places type lists; but, clearly there are many people that live there that like it.

The Happiest States In America In One Map (INFOGRAPHIC)

Last edited by bay2bay; 04-10-2014 at 08:21 AM..

Old 04-10-2014, 11:19 AM

223 posts, read 389,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay2bay View Post
Green Bay is doing fine. The Green Bay area keeps growing and growing. It wouldn't be doing that if it were the horrible place some folk on City Data make it out to be. It's even surpassed Madison in ethnic diversity -- yes, you heard that right. Madison has a larger percentage of white people living in their city than Green Bay does. Not that it matters to me; but, people that think Green Bay hasn't changed need to take a reality check.
No offense, but beating Madison in ethnic diversity isn't saying much. Madison has never been known for its ethnic diversity (nor has any Big Ten town, really).

As far as growth... the only growth I've noticed anywhere near Green Bay seems to be on the Ashwaubenon half of Onieda Street; and even then, it's mostly only chain retailers and restaurants that you can find in any berg with more people than cattle.

I'm not a "Green Bay hater." I think it has some things going for it, like the best tattoo shop in the Midwest (Tattoos By Rick), some neat record stores, a pretty good metal scene for a town its size, the Crunchy Frog on Broadway (reminds me of a lot of the rock/metal bars around Brady Street before the yuppies moved in). The Fox River Trail is ok, but it would be much nicer if there were actually something on the other side of the river to look at. The condos downtown aren't half bad either, but downtown is pretty much dead after 6PM... and it's not even all that lively during the day.

Honestly, I think Green Bay's problem is that, culturally, it's too damned conservative. I don't mean that in the political sense (though guys like Guy Zima having so much influence doesn't exactly help), but more in the sense that unless your aspiration is to be a family man or a mommy, there's not really a place for you in Green Bay, socially... and good luck trying to prove you're not some morally-depraved degenerate if you're over the age of 22 and not thinking about "settling down."

Old 04-10-2014, 11:46 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,270,712 times
MK, you and I are speaking to the wall. No further comment.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:17 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,748,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEastsider View Post

Honestly, I think Green Bay's problem is that, culturally, it's too damned conservative. I don't mean that in the political sense (though guys like Guy Zima having so much influence doesn't exactly help), but more in the sense that unless your aspiration is to be a family man or a mommy, there's not really a place for you in Green Bay, socially... and good luck trying to prove you're not some morally-depraved degenerate if you're over the age of 22 and not thinking about "settling down."
This is the impression I get from people I know that moved away.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:16 PM

223 posts, read 389,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
MK, you and I are speaking to the wall. No further comment.
Perhaps. But I'd like to think most folks on C-D... even those who happen to be more conservative... aren't as psychotically partisan, paranoid, and detached from reality as our friend Milt.

Last edited by MKEastsider; 04-10-2014 at 04:28 PM..

Old 04-10-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEastsider View Post
Honestly, I think Green Bay's problem is that, culturally, it's too damned conservative.
the yet again, it is YOU that has all of these problems.
if green bay would have blocks of all night rap bars, heavy metal bars, gay bath houses, strip clubs, massage parlors, gay pride parades every weekend, it would be OK for you?

have you ever thought that the people there may not want what you want, may not want to live like you do, may not want what you want? i know that seems like an absurdity to you, but there are actually a whole lot of people not like you and want different things in life than you do.

so you stay in your little affluent university enclave in milwaukee and the people in green bay will keep living their lives how they want to.

this shouldn't be that difficult.....

Last edited by milt14; 04-10-2014 at 04:43 PM..

Old 04-10-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This is the impression I get from people I know that moved away.
that sounds like a truly representative sample, lol. you may want to go to some school somewhere and take some basic business or statistics class. local tech college may have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin