Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 11:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,974 times

Advertisements

I currently live outside baltimore maryland with my wife and two year old daughter. I am 30, she is in her 20's. I am working for the Post office as a mail carrier, and I put in for transfer requests out of state, to move to a place with a lower cost of living, better schools, lower crime, etc. The first one to come back is for the Manitowoc, WI post office. I have never lived in WI, but have heard many great things about the small lakefront towns along lake michigan.

I have done some research, and have learned alot about manitowoc, and it seems like a nice town with good schools, low crime, low cost of living, and set in a beautiful place along lake michigan.

just looking for some new input from those who live there/or are familiar with it and may have some advice on whether they would recommend the area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 08:38 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,157,081 times
It will be extreme culture shock, but at least there's the lake/harbor to give you the illusion of home. I'll leave details to people who live/have lived there, I have friends I visit but that's it.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 PM

298 posts, read 702,108 times
Manitowoc is safe, clean and beautiful and will be very very uncrowded compared to Baltimore. People are friendly and a bit conservative in my opinion. I moved here from the Detroit area after marrying and grad school in Madison, WI. It was very different at first, but now I'm so glad to live in such a calm, safe area. Schools are good plus there are private Catholic and Lutheran schools if you prefer. Manitowoc is close to Green Bay, Appleton and Milwaukee if you want better shopping and to visit a more populous area. Unemployment is an issue but if you have a job lined up that is good. I hope you will visit.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:35 PM

46 posts, read 133,701 times
I was born around Manitowoc (Two Rivers) and most of the family on my dad's side still lives there. The lake is awesome, the downtown area is nice for a city its size, Lincoln Park is fantastic. It's an older manufacturing town so it's tough to get work but since you're a mail carrier and seem to already have a job lined up, that shouldn't be a problem for you.

When my dad lived there when I was in my teens I had great times visiting him in the summer. It's a nice place for your daughter to grow up.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:30 AM

4 posts, read 6,617 times
Default not to bad here

manitowoc is not that clean when you come in the car ferry side.The crime rste is not bad.Most of the people are good.mishicot has most of the ones living off of the gov.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,371 times
Lake Wobegon it is not. I found the city to be pretty, well, underwhelming. Yes the town is scenic and the crime rate is relatively low. But the town is a community of people who are, in my opinion, backwards. The women there are passive aggressive. I was born and raised in Manitowoc. I know that after being kicked in the teeth by men who think of their double wide or 1984 mud stained Bronco as the ultimate measuring stick, I would be jaded too. The lack of money in the town creates a tension that is almost palpable. I moved to Cedarburg Wi when I was 17. I am 35 now and occasionally visit relatives who live in Manitowoc. If you do not like anonymity move here. It is a small town and when you tell someone something "in confidence" the chances of it staying that way are about the same as winning Warren Buffets billion dollar NCAA basketball bracket challenge. Jim lukes, a coin dealer in Manitowoc said it best. "Two Rivers is to the point of no return and Manitowoc is not far behind." He has an impeccable reputation. Who by the way is looking to sell his business after 30 years and settle down somewhere in Northern Arizona. Smart Man. Because if I had his resources I would follow suit and move on too.

Source: Born and raised in Manitowoc.

Last edited by Joshua Terry; 05-21-2014 at 01:39 AM..

Old 06-09-2014, 09:19 AM

656 posts, read 1,305,861 times
I currently live in Manitowoc and have been here just over a year. I have my house up for sale and cannot wait to leave this town. moody, unfriendly and aggressively mean people reside here. backward thinking and a lot of trashy people. good luck!

Old 06-09-2014, 08:57 PM

432 posts, read 541,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonM View Post
I currently live in Manitowoc and have been here just over a year. I have my house up for sale and cannot wait to leave this town. moody, unfriendly and aggressively mean people reside here. backward thinking and a lot of trashy people.
so you're transition from socal didn't work out well for you?

you forgot to tell everyone that people there get mad at the drop of a hat during conversations.
hope you're not stating to them what you did above, or i could understand mild annoyance.

http://worknet.wisconsin.gov/worknet...oc_profile.pdf

Old 06-10-2014, 12:21 AM

298 posts, read 702,108 times
I hope ShannonM that your home sells quickly so you can leave Manitowoc soon. It's not good to live in a location you obviously hate. Please remember though that your perceptions are yours alone and many others would not agree. I, for one, love living in Manitowoc (and no, I'm not a native of the city or even of Wisconsin). Good luck with your next location.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:06 AM

432 posts, read 541,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alle View Post
I hope ShannonM that your home sells quickly so you can leave Manitowoc soon. It's not good to live in a location you obviously hate.
good post. i'm always amazed at how people live in places they don't like....and stay there, miserable and unhappy with the way things are. i think those people will be unhappy wherever they are. i just give those people distance unless they try and change my life in some manner.
people should go where they will be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin