Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,414 times

Advertisements

I accepted a job in madison and I live in racine. I don't want to drive my car back and forth everyday it wears the car down. Is there any express train services that I may be able to take daily ..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 02:01 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,133,689 times
No. Why would you apply for a job 2 and a half hours away, one way, if you didn't want to live there or drive there or know about train service beforehand?

Old 06-14-2014, 03:45 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,105,227 times
Racine to Madison: 1.5hrs, who would want to do that everyday!

Old 06-14-2014, 05:16 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,133,689 times
Factor in weather and rush hour traffic....add another hour EASILY! Door to door...

Old 06-14-2014, 06:25 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,105,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Factor in weather and rush hour traffic....add another hour EASILY! Door to door...
Yeah you're right, I didn't factor that in at all. I would consider that commute for about .0000 seconds.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:29 PM

432 posts, read 544,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Why would you apply for a job 2 and a half hours away
this is the continual "we need high speed trains" thread.
that's about as common as 'will my gay/black...be accepted in?"

i think that's just some leftist 'buzz generator' as those are two pretty high things on their agenda and as you've shown, the topic doesn't make sense. guerrilla propaganda.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:31 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
We do not need high speed rail for a percent of the population who make job choices like this without thinking it over. Some people bring up these ideas and just expect the money to pay for them to come out of thin air.. no actually they expect every taxpayer in the state to foot the bill just so they can have their light rail from point A to point B justifying their decision to take a job 70 miles from where they live when they should be living close to where they work in the first place. Our interstate system works just fine, until the day when we can just teleport places. Good luck with the commute by the way.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:24 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,019,345 times
Years ago I used to make that drive, but it was my job as I had a delivery route that serviced stores throughout Milw area out of Madison. I did it as i got paid to, couldn't imagine it just to get to an office. Not just traffic and winter that slowed me down but the seemingly constant construction along the interstate.
3-5 hours out of every day to commute won't work for many, if the job is of such value to accept then one will have to decide to either move or deal with it.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:34 AM

432 posts, read 544,396 times
well, anywho, for next time this yet again comes up:

Quote:
California lawmakers and Gov. Jerry Brown have reached agreement on funneling 25% of tax revenue from the state’s 'cap and trade' program into constructing the controversial high speed rail project, often referred to as the bullet train.

Gov. Jerry Brown
the infamous 'cap and trade' is a tax on energy because it's a tax on carbon. and the funny thing is you can purchase and trade these 'carbon credits' just like those bankrupt energy trading companies did...

so let's see, democrat gov moonbeam brown wants 25% of the new energy tax revenues in california to pay for his pet mass transit toy? and the energy tax isn't even implemented yet?

...and now that the costs have tripled and service areas greatly diminished and travel times greatly increased....

Quote:
California Democrats Turn on High-Speed Rail

Capitol Alert: Bera, other vulnerable Democrats vote to block high-speed rail

ummm yeah, let's do that here, in wisconsin!!

Old 06-15-2014, 02:10 PM

25 posts, read 39,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimewhite View Post
I accepted a job in madison and I live in racine. I don't want to drive my car back and forth everyday it wears the car down. Is there any express train services that I may be able to take daily ..?
I don't know the answer to your question, but if WI is anything like IL, I strongly suspect the answer is probably no.

To be honest, this seems like a pretty unrealistic/unsustainable commute to me. Even if you can manage for a while, I can't imagine how you will be able to do it once the snow starts flying a few months from now. I don't mean to be nosy, but I can't help wondering why someone would accept a job that far from their present residence, unless they were planning to relocate.

Is there some reason why you can't (or don't want to) move closer to Madison? Even if you don't want to live IN Madison for some reason, there are plenty of other places that would be much closer and easier to commute from than Racine. I would respectfully suggest that you look at a map and start researching other locations that are closer to your job than Racine is.

If you ARE planning to relocate later on and are just trying to find a way to manage in the meantime, you have my sympathies. But if you took a job in Madison expecting to commute from Racine. with no plans to move...well, I honestly think you may have bitten off more than you can chew -- or at more than most of us would be willing to try to chew!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin