U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 09:27 AM

8 posts, read 9,522 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what its like living in Port Washington? Or can you tell me what do you think the best towns in Wisconsin are preferably that are along Lake Michigan?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 10:13 AM

545 posts, read 1,149,383 times
It's a pretty typical quiet small town. Not much local industry anymore except for the Allen-Edmonds shoe factory. Many people who live there work in Milwaukee and commute (about 45 minutes from downtown). It has a great lakefront. Schools are average, not bad but nothing special. Pretty inexpensive, especially when you consider the access to Lake Michigan.

There are better towns, but they're going to be more expensive. Sheboygan is similar to Port atmosphere wise, but it's larger and without the proximity to Milwaukee. It's more city than town. I think Whitefish Bay and Shorewood are among the best towns, but they're pricey. Kenosha and Pleasant Prairie are good options because they're large enough to gave their own amenities and they're close to Chicago and its suburbs (and jobs), but still affordable. Again, Kenosha is more city than town. Avoid Racine. Things are getting pretty dicey there.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:40 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,395,878 times
For individual cities (not suburbs), I'd say Port Washington and (if you want bigger) Sheboygan are the best bets. If you want to go much smaller, Kewaunee/Algoma are nice.

Kenosha is a bit of an outlyer, but it isn't that bad, either. Avoid Manitowoc (small declining rust belt town) and Two Rivers, though the latter is a bit nicer.

Does Green Bay count? Marinette? Sturgeon Bay? All are on Lake Michigan or an inlet.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:36 AM

545 posts, read 1,149,383 times
Sturgeon Bay is a nice town. I've spent a lot of time there. But it's not for everyone. Like other towns in Door County, it's extremely busy in the summer and fall and dead in the winter and most of spring. The economy is mostly tourism based, but it also has a pretty large shipbuilding industry and all that goes with that. It's much less touristy than places further up in Door County, but it's still a huge part of the local atmosphere. Definitely worth a look though if you think you'd like that sort of place.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:47 PM

I grew up in Sturgeon Bay, and what you write is fairly accurate. I think one of the reasons I like Port Washington is that while they're very different in some respects, the 2 cities remind me of each other.

However, Sturgeon Bay is right on, well, Sturgeon Bay...which opens east (through the canal) to Lake Michigan, and west to Green Bay. It isn't technically on Lake Michigan, it's a number of miles away from both LM and GB. Not sure if this is OK with the OP and so forth.

Both cities have more amenities than they "should" for their sizes, Sturgeon Bay due to tourism, and Port due to being fairly close to the Milwaukee metro.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:49 PM

136 posts, read 198,961 times
Mequon is the best town along the lake. It has the #1 ranked High School in the state of Wisconsin, it is the wealthiest city in the state except for River Hills (which is the neighboring town) and there are tons of really nice restaurants and coffee shops in Mequon. They also have the Lakeshore Chinooks baseball team, which makes summers really fun to watch baseball along the lake. Halle Berry and a number of other celebrities have lived in Mequon too, if that helps you make a decision.

I have a family member that went to High School in Port Washington and it's not the best area. It's a very blue-collar town and there is a lot of poverty there. It is in the wealthiest county in the state, Ozaukee, but Port Washington is not like of the rest of the county.

There are nice houses and you have the lake and beach right there, but there are some pretty heavy drug problems once you go away from the lakefront. The High School isn't very good, so if you have kids, don't send them there (trust me...I know).

Port Washington is not a horrible place to live, but it's not great either. Mequon, Cedarburg and River Hills are the best places in the area to live. Grafton and Thiensville are mid-tier in the area and Port Washington and Saukville are the worst of the county.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:48 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,747,699 times
Port Washington is one of my favorites. Seemed nice and clean, especially when compared to some of the other more affordable towns along the lake.
If we had stayed in the Milwaukee area and wanted to live along the lakefront, it was our top choice with St. Francis being a not-too-distant second.
I didn't make it up to Sheboygan much, but what I saw of it didn't make it look nearly as bad as some tried to make it out to be. I was also impressed with Two Rivers.
So many nice old towns along the lake.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:30 AM

I'm not sure how Port Washington has so much "poverty" when Ozaukee County has the second lowest poverty rate in the entire United States. Also, I'm simply not much of a fan of Mequon, which is definitely not the wealthiest city in the state (though it certainly does well, as does the entire county).

Old 07-14-2014, 10:40 AM

7,724 posts, read 9,021,232 times
Not sure if the show was actually filmed there or not, but Port Washington had a bit of fame in the 90s. Is there actually an amusement park there?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvnpZxEnCUc

Old 07-14-2014, 11:48 AM

136 posts, read 198,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I'm not sure how Port Washington has so much "poverty" when Ozaukee County has the second lowest poverty rate in the entire United States. Also, I'm simply not much of a fan of Mequon, which is definitely not the wealthiest city in the state (though it certainly does well, as does the entire county).
River Hills is the wealthiest, right next to Mequon. Mequon is the wealthiest of those with populations that are over 12,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin