Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 07:32 PM

136 posts, read 240,242 times

Advertisements

What are some of the best local coffee shops in your area? By local, I mean please don't include things like Caribou and Starbucks. I'm a huge coffee addict and always enjoy trying LOCAL places in Wisconsin when I travel around. Maybe some suggestions here will lead me to stop somewhere on my next trip.

I hate driving through Wisconsin and needing to stop at Starbucks (cheap coffee) because I don't know the local ones.

For my area (North Suburbs of Milwaukee)

The Roastery (Cedarburg, WI)
- Great atmosphere, coffee is outstanding, right in downtown with lots of cool old fashioned shops. They also have extremely friendly employees and make their own coffee right in the middle of the shop. It smells amazing here and is super clean.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 07:35 PM

136 posts, read 240,242 times
Then there's Smith Brothers In Port Washington. Right on the lake and a beautiful view of the docks. It's really bright in here and has a wonderful lakeside atmosphere.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:53 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,287,455 times
My absolute favorite place in the Milwaukee area is Amaranth Bakery, near Washington Park on Milwaukee's west side.

Amaranth Bakery - Walnut Hill - Milwaukee, WI | Yelp

The coffee is great (from Anodyne, which itself has two great sites in Milwaukee) and the baked goods are incredible. Try the kouign amann, a wonderful treat from the Brittany region in France, or just try anything else they have--rugalach, tarts, ciabatta and other breads, excellent soups, etc. Sometimes, when a certain person is in town, they'll have amazing crepes, too.

The coffee and pastry are enough to make this place stand out, but this place also is distinctive for its community vision. It's located in a somewhat blighted (but safe) area near Washington Park, and the owner employs local people and does other outreach for the benefit of the neighborhood:

Amaranth Bakery and Café | Recirculating Farms Coalition

The café is consistently open on Thursday, Fridays, and Saturdays, but hours vary the rest of the week, so it's best to call ahead. This place is a real gem.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:05 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,026,854 times
Berres Brothers coffee roaster has a shop in Watertown where you can get a fantastic coffee, great sandwich, and watch them roast a batch of coffee all in one spot. They are located on Airpark Road behind the Walmart in Watertown. Highly recommend them.

Berres Brothers Cafe

Another, which I sadly cannot remember the name of, is in Adams/Friendship in Hwy 13 right on the border of the two towns (which run together) and sits on the west side of the highway on a little curve. Great coffee and a wonderful small town atmosphere.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:59 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,892,781 times
The Black Cat in Ashland has to be the best in the entire Northland, if not further. I had co-workers in northern Minnesota who looked forward to their yearly training in Bayfield because it meant they could stop at the Black Cat. And the Daily Bread bakery across the street is pretty kick-butt, too. It has amazing coffee, but also a good menu, good seating (bright and airy up front, where it is a bit louder with group discussions usually going on; darker and quieter in the back with some sofas too), and is a community meeting spot.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:43 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,593,923 times
Anything around Green Bay?

Old 07-28-2014, 10:19 PM

335 posts, read 407,791 times
We have quaint cafe/coffee place in downtown Algoma an old fishing village. They
serve generally a light or dark roast along with great wraps an diversified menu.
Caffe' Tlazo's. I saw people literally lined up for their selection of iced coffees,
which I don't order as a rule as I love their light roast with a muffin to die for.

Last edited by Inattentive; 07-28-2014 at 10:42 PM..

Old 08-04-2014, 11:20 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,499,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Anything around Green Bay?
GB isn't much of a coffeehouse town, but this place is pretty nice: The Attic

There are a bunch outside of GB in the burbs, as well as many in Door County (obviously) and Algoma/Kewaunee.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:34 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,593,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
GB isn't much of a coffeehouse town, but this place is pretty nice: The Attic

There are a bunch outside of GB in the burbs, as well as many in Door County (obviously) and Algoma/Kewaunee.
Awesome, thanks. I'm seeking to move to GB, so I'll have to check out the burbs and Door County. So excited!

Old 08-04-2014, 11:47 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,499,234 times
I used to live there and still have a good # of friends in GB - the ones who like actual coffee shops seem to like The Attic. They have books, and used to have bands/performers (might still?) and seem to get the "feel" of a true coffeehouse right. There are also vegan food/coffee restaurants like the popular Kavarna Coffeehouse.

Check out the NY Times article someone posted on Green Bay in the WI section below, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin