Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 09:19 AM

77 posts, read 110,341 times

Advertisements

I'm from FL and miss swimming in the ocean. Here in the Appleton area there aren't many nice lakes. Most are so green it's just very unappealing to swim in. My mom remembers Crystal Lake being very pretty from her childhood but that's quite a while ago so before I make a drive out to Wautoma can anyone tell me if it's really that nice or if there's even public access? Thanks :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 10:11 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
I was in the area last weekend and there were people swimming in Crystal Lake. There's also Lake Kusel to check out. And I think Pearl Lake is also pretty nice.

I miss the ocean, too. I just moved back to WI from coastal SC. I live on a lake now and I'm still always scanning for dolphins! Haven't seen a single one!

Old 08-15-2014, 12:07 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,110 times
There are thousands of good swimming lakes here. You can also go to one of the many Lake Michigan beaches. Appleton isn't a good area for swimming, that much is true.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:25 PM

Have you been to Kohler- Andrae State Park in Sheboygan? Also, Deland Park in Sheboygan is nice. The water's cold, but nothing to be done about that, I suppose. It's as close to an "ocean feel" beach as we get here, I think.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:51 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Have you been to Kohler- Andrae State Park in Sheboygan? Also, Deland Park in Sheboygan is nice. The water's cold, but nothing to be done about that, I suppose. It's as close to an "ocean feel" beach as we get here, I think.
It's nice, but there are many similar beaches up-and-down Lake Michigan, from the south side (sandy North Beach in Racine) to islands off the northern tip of Door County (Rock Island State Park). If you're brave enough, there are also many along Lake Superior. Or one of the 15,000 inland lakes. Or the 100 miles of sand along the lower Wisconsin River. Etc.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:55 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions!! I will have to squeeze some visits in before it starts getting cold :-)

Old 09-02-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I was in the area last weekend and there were people swimming in Crystal Lake. There's also Lake Kusel to check out. And I think Pearl Lake is also pretty nice.

I miss the ocean, too. I just moved back to WI from coastal SC. I live on a lake now and I'm still always scanning for dolphins! Haven't seen a single one!
OMG my husband and I are planning to move to SC with our kids in Spring!! What made you leave? I'm excited but so nervous to move somewhere we don't know anybody but from my research it seems like a nice place.

When I first got here I'd look for gators in the lakes lol :-P

Old 09-02-2014, 07:52 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drea84 View Post
OMG my husband and I are planning to move to SC with our kids in Spring!! What made you leave? I'm excited but so nervous to move somewhere we don't know anybody but from my research it seems like a nice place.

another recent WI to SC back to WI poster here lol.

Yes WI lakes can get green/algae blooms in summer (happened frequently here on the Madison chain as well), the joys of agricultural run off among other issues. Seems i've heard Crystal lake was good to swim in, another lake not too far a drive to look into is Green Lake. Could be the best options for better water may be in the rivers where the flow can help keep the waters 'cleaner'. As noted the WI River has many areas including numerous sand bars that are nice for relaxing/swimming (watch the currents though); and also keep an eye out for a certain stretch of beach where the swimwear (or lack of) can be an eye opener for those new to the area.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drea84 View Post

I love SC but my husband's job was requiring us to move to Florida. We visited Florida and thought it was very pretty but overcrowded and ultimately ended up back in good ole Wisconsin (where our families and friends are.) Yes, look for gators! They're out there, for sure. A park ranger even told me to glance up in the trees on occasion. Don't go jump in the lakes!
I lived in Beaufort and absolutely loved the Lowcountry, even though I'm probably too wimpy for a place with snakes and bugs the size of my head. Best of luck to you in your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin