Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 04:05 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,155,308 times

Advertisements

We are wanting to move north of Kansas, where the summers aren't so brutal, & one of the areas we are considering in Wisconsin. Looking to learn more about the landscape,people,culture,etc. Want to move somewhere rural & run a small organic farm,eventually. Needs to be near lots of trees, water,etc... any ideas? Thanks for any advice/experiences you can share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 06:15 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
We are wanting to move north of Kansas, where the summers aren't so brutal, & one of the areas we are considering in Wisconsin. Looking to learn more about the landscape,people,culture,etc. Want to move somewhere rural & run a small organic farm,eventually. Needs to be near lots of trees, water,etc... any ideas? Thanks for any advice/experiences you can share!
The Driftless Region in the SW 1/3 of the state is your best bet. I would focus on the Viroqua area, that is where a good number of organic farms and co-ops are along with being in the vicinity of the company Organic Valley. High quality farmland is more expensive compared to the far SW fringe of the Midwest.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:03 PM

Thanks, I had actually just found out about that area (just beginning to look into WI, mind you) & it looks gorgeous, just what we are looking for. What is the job market like? Schools? My youngest son has mild cerebral palsy & is visually impaired (not totally blind however) so schools and decent medical care are important, as well.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:54 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Thanks, I had actually just found out about that area (just beginning to look into WI, mind you) & it looks gorgeous, just what we are looking for. What is the job market like? Schools? My youngest son has mild cerebral palsy & is visually impaired (not totally blind however) so schools and decent medical care are important, as well.
I don't know much about schools in that area, although it is quite rural with a sizable Amish population as well. Educational attainment statistics are higher just to the north in the La Crosse area, also home to a branch of the University of Wisconsin. Areas south and east of La Crosse tend to be quite rural and more bluffy, agricultural land mostly in valley areas.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:25 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,171 times
Pretty tough to break in to market down their.

Try up north.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:09 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Pretty tough to break in to market down their.

Try up north.
^ Totally wrong

You can barely farm up north, and there's a collective organic farming boom in the Driftless.

SW WI Driftless is the second-largest organic farming area in the country (after CA), a perfect match for the OP. As mentioned, local company Organic Valley is the largest organic farmer cooperative in the world. It's as remote and arguably more beautiful than up north, as well. Most valleys, and there are valleys everywhere, have small trout streams, but there are no natural lakes in the region. You do have the Mississippi and Kickapoo and Wisconsin rivers. It varies, but generally you will see more trees in this region the further you get from the Illinois border. Generally, it's a mix of trees & farmland.

If you're worried about education, Viroqua, while only 4300 people live there, has Montessori and many out-sized amenities for a a town its size. Whenever we pass within an hour of Viroqua, we side-trip it just to eat at Driftless Cafe. However, I don't know much about medical care (La Crosse is big enough and not far away, or you could just position yourself closer to La Crosse). You can try a reasonable distance from Madison, but that's the most expensive part of the region.

The job market, however, is generally not very good throughout the Driftless.

Last edited by cheese plate; 09-15-2014 at 10:28 AM..

Old 09-17-2014, 06:49 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
^ Totally wrong

You can barely farm up north, and there's a collective organic farming boom in the Driftless.

SW WI Driftless is the second-largest organic farming area in the country (after CA), a perfect match for the OP. As mentioned, local company Organic Valley is the largest organic farmer cooperative in the world. It's as remote and arguably more beautiful than up north, as well. Most valleys, and there are valleys everywhere, have small trout streams, but there are no natural lakes in the region. You do have the Mississippi and Kickapoo and Wisconsin rivers. It varies, but generally you will see more trees in this region the further you get from the Illinois border. Generally, it's a mix of trees & farmland.

If you're worried about education, Viroqua, while only 4300 people live there, has Montessori and many out-sized amenities for a a town its size. Whenever we pass within an hour of Viroqua, we side-trip it just to eat at Driftless Cafe. However, I don't know much about medical care (La Crosse is big enough and not far away, or you could just position yourself closer to La Crosse). You can try a reasonable distance from Madison, but that's the most expensive part of the region.

The job market, however, is generally not very good throughout the Driftless.
So you a farmer? Tried to get a stand at the Madison market lately?

More compition is not better.. Somewhere with less compition is better. Sure as heck you can farm up north.. Plenty of hungry wealthy tourists and markets that want more farmers.. In the south the markets are full up.. New farmers can not get in with profitable crops.

I bet you are not a market farmer. Right¿????????

Modern market farming is not Mr green jeans. Compost and hoop houses and you can grow vegetables anywhere... Hello. Market economics... Supply and demand. ...
Sorry I 100% do not think you have a clue of what you are talking about.. Just some farm market customer.. That thinks it is all kombala.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:10 PM

*Note to self* :Farmers want to discourage competition moving in.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:36 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
No. TrueTimbers is telling the truth. I live in PA. I can't tell you how many people I have witnessed try to make a living out of the markets. Most fail. The rest use the income as supplementary and have full time jobs.

Farming has become oversaturated. Here, besides the markets, are produce stands in small parking lots and resident's yards. Gardener's have permanent stands set up with veggies and jars. Because of this and other factors, some of the farmers markets are closing or cutting way back.

Also, the fact that you use the word "organic" is a sign as to how unfamiliar you are to the market. That term isn't used here. Most don't use the label organic because of the cost and hassle from the government. There are Amish on every corner. "Organic" isn't going to impress anyone so most farmers don't even bother getting the certification.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Amish. Not sure how big they are in WI but people flock to them first as customers. It doesn't matter how great your produce is, if customers see a Amish stand, then they are stopping.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
No. TrueTimbers is telling the truth. I live in PA. I can't tell you how many people I have witnessed try to make a living out of the markets. Most fail. The rest use the income as supplementary and have full time jobs.

Farming has become oversaturated. Here, besides the markets, are produce stands in small parking lots and resident's yards. Gardener's have permanent stands set up with veggies and jars. Because of this and other factors, some of the farmers markets are closing or cutting way back.

Also, the fact that you use the word "organic" is a sign as to how unfamiliar you are to the market. That term isn't used here. Most don't use the label organic because of the cost and hassle from the government. There are Amish on every corner. "Organic" isn't going to impress anyone so most farmers don't even bother getting the certification.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Amish. Not sure how big they are in WI but people flock to them first as customers. It doesn't matter how great your produce is, if customers see a Amish stand, then they are stopping.
Um, wow. I "use the word organic" not to "impress" anyone, but to signify that pesticides/herbicides aren't used. Who is talking about PA? I'm thinking this attitude from these posters stems from lack of success & fear of competition. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin