Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,763,232 times

Advertisements

No it's not a coincidence, but it's also not a coincidence that they have reverted back to indoor or mild-climate outdoor venues for the next four.

It's not happening in Chicago for as long as we have an outdoor stadium, irrespective of capacity or field surface quality. Unless maybe "global warming" really ramps up and turns the upper Midwest into a sub-tropical paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 06:29 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,991,189 times
Chicago invested $690 million in the Soldier field rehab in 2001, I see no chance of Chicago building a new billion $ plus stadium. It looks terrible, as if a giant UFO landed on top of it. The worst stadium in the NFL, next to Oakland.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:27 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,978,058 times
The weather doesn't matter....it's the city. Most of the "media" is based in NY and LA. If it was snowing sideways on South Beach in Miami, they'd think it was cool and try their best to enjoy it and act like it was awesome. If the Super Bowl was in a city that the NY/LA types weren't fond of, the weather would be used as a justification for all their complaints.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
The weather doesn't matter....it's the city. Most of the "media" is based in NY and LA. If it was snowing sideways on South Beach in Miami, they'd think it was cool and try their best to enjoy it and act like it was awesome. If the Super Bowl was in a city that the NY/LA types weren't fond of, the weather would be used as a justification for all their complaints.
The Super Bowl has been played in all kinds of "flyover" cities the coastal elites barely even know exists. Think Detroit, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Minneapolis, etc.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:40 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,258,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Chicago invested $690 million in the Soldier field rehab in 2001, I see no chance of Chicago building a new billion $ plus stadium. It looks terrible, as if a giant UFO landed on top of it. The worst stadium in the NFL, next to Oakland.
I wouldn't go so far as to say it looks terrible ? I think most were satisfied. Of course I believe they should have went with a Domed Stadium.

Wait till they build the billion dollar "George Lucas Museum" Still very likely to get built.
-----Just South of Soldier Field.
Lucas said the Museum will be VERY ORGANIC? But the Architect chosen a Chinese firm is known for its FUTUISTIC DESIGNS.
I think it is fair to say it will probably look like something out of Star Wars??
So then ......TWO UFOS ON CHICAGO'S LAKEFRONT FOR YOU....LOL

Old 10-23-2014, 03:54 PM

3,450 posts, read 4,497,094 times
^&$*(@# domes. Football is unique partly because it's played in all sorts of conditions. It began as the fall/winter sport of northern outposts. I think it's awesome that you can play in the desert (Arizona) in 100 degrees, in the sweaty humid south (Florida) 85/humid, in a snowstorm in Boston, a torrential downpour in KC, etc., in the course of a single NFL season. Hell, I've been to Packer games where it was high 80s (preseason) one game and teens with severe wind chills another during the same season. It's part of the game. Domes are for sissies.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:58 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,025,350 times
^^^ this!

Old 10-23-2014, 05:23 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,978,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The Super Bowl has been played in all kinds of "flyover" cities the coastal elites barely even know exists. Think Detroit, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Minneapolis, etc.
I know, but my point is that if something goes wrong in a flyover city, the media will be much quicker to lambaste the city and its' circumstances.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:26 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,846,871 times
The weather, and a lack of local hotel rooms. You could bus them from Milwaukee, but the weather would still be a problem.

NYC is just warm enough ( barely) to host a Super Bowl.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say it looks terrible ? I think most were satisfied.
On the contrary, ask any Chicagoan what they think of the place and I suspect most will tell you it's hideous. The new stadium design was and still is very controversial to say the least. For starters, the juxtoposition of old versus new just looks ridiculous. It looks like an alien space ship crashed into the Parthenon. For another, it's called "Soldier Field" for a reason; it's a memorial to our war dead. And some people were upset at what they saw as a desecration of that memorial. But that's why they kept the original outer shell.

As for me, I wish we still had the "old" Soldier Field. I realize it's not ideal to have less than 40% of your seating along the sidelines, but at least we wouldn't have an architectural acne scar visually polluting the museum campus.

Last edited by Drover; 10-23-2014 at 07:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin