Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 12:59 PM

17 posts, read 79,770 times

Advertisements

Possible moving to Wausau in next 6 months or so. Is Rib Mountain the best place to buy a house in Wausau? Are there a lot of elementary age children in that neighborhood? Thanks!

Old 11-01-2006, 10:45 PM

153 posts, read 711,412 times
Hello!!

I grew up just west of Wausau, and I even went to elementry school there

Wausau in reality is made up of a few cities: Wausau, Schofield, Weston, Rothschild. Mosinee is a bit down the road, but that's where the airport is, so it's basically also part of Wausau.

Wausau at the moment is basically a Boomtown. It's growing at a VERY RAPID pace. When I was growing up Wausau was considerably smaller and there were gaps between the cities, now it's one big metro area

As for Rib mountain being the best place -- it's by far the Ritziest part of Wausau. I would venture to say their aren't that many young kids living in the area. Most of the people I know who live up in Rib Mountain are older couples whose kids are off in college now.

Most of the younger couples (that I know at least) live on the North side of town where all the new housing developments have gone in over the years.

Anyway - Wausau is a wonderful city in my opinion!! I even considered moving there. I'm sure you'll find all the schools to your liking.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-02-2006, 10:27 AM

17 posts, read 79,770 times
Default Wausau another ?

Wausau is booming? Is it alot of strip-mall type booming or housing type booming? We will be moving from Montana and the area we now live in is anti-strip mall. Which is nice because we have alot of local businesses not the big chain stores.

Also, thanks for the info on the area's of town. We don't want to live in a new housing development. I think the Rib Mountain area might be up our alley.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:59 AM

158 posts, read 610,460 times
Default Wausau vs Marshfield

Well, I previously asked about Marshfield, but now it looks like Wausau might be a possibility for a move, as well.

One of my questions about Marshfield was whether one could smell the paper mill. I guess this becomes an even more important question because the paper mill is in the Wausau area.... So, where can you NEVER smell the mill in Wausau?

I got a chance to visit Marshfield a little bit to get an idea, but it looks like I will not be able to get over to see Wausau.... So, any info on the area (things to do, schools, etc) would be appreciated.

We have friends who live in the area, but could be a bit "biased" because they want to sell us on living there. I would like to hear the downside, too. Not that that would convince me not to go there.... It's just better to know the whole story.

Thank you!

Old 11-06-2006, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,579 times
Wink I now know what you mean by smell from Paper Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signora View Post
Well, I previously asked about Marshfield, but now it looks like Wausau might be a possibility for a move, as well.

One of my questions about Marshfield was whether one could smell the paper mill. I guess this becomes an even more important question because the paper mill is in the Wausau area.... So, where can you NEVER smell the mill in Wausau?

I got a chance to visit Marshfield a little bit to get an idea, but it looks like I will not be able to get over to see Wausau.... So, any info on the area (things to do, schools, etc) would be appreciated.

We have friends who live in the area, but could be a bit "biased" because they want to sell us on living there. I would like to hear the downside, too. Not that that would convince me not to go there.... It's just better to know the whole story.

Thank you!

I NOW understand the problem with the smell you mention. We went up this past weekend to scout out areas near the Rapids and found the smell you're talking about. The Rapids have a mill, as well as Port Edwards and Nekoosa. We experienced the strong smell in the urban areas, but not so much in the areas outside. We will be concentrating on areas outside of the towns and cities. I'm not sure how far the smell travels when windy, but every area has something going on. The smell from the factories attacked all of my senses - nose, eyes burned, and throat was scratchy. I was genuinely surprised. I definitely prefer the country smells to the mills.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:49 AM

Yes... that is the smell! Some people tell me it doesn't bother them so much, but I have the same strong reaction you described. Do you know of any other mills up in the area of Wausau (aside from Mosinee)?

From my experience the smell travels farther on hot humid days (my aunt lives near one in Alabama).

Old 11-06-2006, 10:51 AM

Yes... that is the smell! Some people tell me it doesn't bother them so much, but I have the same strong reaction you described. Do you know of any other mills up in the area of Wausau (aside from Mosinee)?

From my experience the smell travels farther on hot humid days (my aunt lives near one in Alabama).

Old 11-06-2006, 03:15 PM

26 posts, read 116,870 times
Driving in Wausau is a nightmare... I was there this past weekend and almost got into 3 accidents. (people running stop signs/red lights, people (on their cell phone) not paying attention to the road- swerving into my lane, and people merging into traffic that do not yield) <-- I could not move over, I was sandwiched between 2 vehicles. YEEESH!

Old 11-06-2006, 03:35 PM

153 posts, read 711,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abanderson View Post
Wausau is booming? Is it alot of strip-mall type booming or housing type booming? We will be moving from Montana and the area we now live in is anti-strip mall. Which is nice because we have alot of local businesses not the big chain stores.

Also, thanks for the info on the area's of town. We don't want to live in a new housing development. I think the Rib Mountain area might be up our alley.
Well Wausau is booming in terms of just about everything. Practically every major road through the area is under construction, there's a ton of new housing, malls, businesses, etc going up, in almost EVERY city in the area. It really is RAPIDLY growing.

Not to burst your bubble but it will be hard to escape the developments of both businesses and residences in Wausau. No matter where you live.

Most of the strip malls and businesses are going up near Hwy N in Rib Mountain and out be Cedar Creek. The Housing developments are more Northerly, and Easterly. Some new burbs are going up in Rib Mountain but not as much as other areas.

Traffic is beginning to become a problem in the area. However once all that nasty road construction is done it should be much better. Though it will still be rough in Rib Mountain (again in an around Cty N) over by all the businesses since it's basically the biggest shopping center for about 50 to 75 miles in any direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signora View Post

Thank you!
I don't quite understand the frustration over the paper mill smell. Having lived there I really only smelled it when I drove near (and i mean really near) one. I don't think this is as bad as a problem as you make it out to be

Basically if you want to avoid the papermills then live away from the rivers, and to the west side of the city or at least to the west side of the mill. I say this because 1) Paper Mills are almost ALL principally located on the Wisconsin River, and 2) Prevailing winds are from West to East.
Plus just like the rest of the "smells" (i.e. Fertilizer on the fields) in Wisconsin, you get used to it after a few weeks, and you won't even notice it.

Anyway if you are REALLY concerned about it, try moving to Marathon (it's about 10 minutes west of Wausau). Its fast becoming a burb of Wausau. Nice, small, wonderful little town, still considerably close enough to Wausau to use all the amenities. The only way the paper mill smell will every reach marathon is if the weather reverses itself and you get a stiff (like 50mph) wind from east to west, which happens like every 100 years as far as I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGooFan View Post
Driving in Wausau is a nightmare... I was there this past weekend and almost got into 3 accidents. (people running stop signs/red lights, people (on their cell phone) not paying attention to the road- swerving into my lane, and people merging into traffic that do not yield) <-- I could not move over, I was sandwiched between 2 vehicles. YEEESH!
I will concur that with the current construction and the massive development near Rib Mountain, the driving is horrid. Wausau is really getting bigger by the day. I actually heard someone say the other day that Wausau Metro is expected to break 100,000 residents in the next census. If that holds to be true is yet to be seen, but I'd say it's getting close. (Wausau Metro = Wausau, Weston, Schofield, Rib Mountain, Mosinee)

Last edited by politikally; 11-06-2006 at 03:54 PM..

Old 11-06-2006, 04:14 PM

Default thank you!

Thank you for the wealth of information! I know it can sound like a bit of a fixation, but maybe I am allergic to something being released by the mills. I grew up near farms and, though the smells can be unpleasant, they never really bothered (or bother) me.

It sounds like they are trying to get a grip on growth and the traffic that comes with it with the construction efforts you mentioned. That is definitely a positive. Right now I am living near Providence, RI and the traffic is horrific so I think that that would still be an improvement.

I am really hoping that the opportunity that we are looking at in Wisconsin (whether it be in Marshfield or Wausau) pans out. The people we met there and the ones I have encountered on this forum have all been fantastic!

Thank you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin