U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2014, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,173 times

Advertisements

I have read lots of really good things about this area from the shopping to cost of living to crime etc. It is also a good size town but not too big. My question is how close to the "northwoods" is it? How far would you have to drive before your out in some nature? Really looking for somewhere with reasonable cost of living but also accessible to metro options and also lots of nature recreation options as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 05:20 PM

5,299 posts, read 2,908,467 times
I can drive from Appleton to Lakewood (which is in Oconto County and considered "up north") in about an hour and a half. It's about 80 miles or so. Or you can head over to Door County from Appleton. That's a beautiful area... fulla nature.
I personally love Appleton. I've been up there twice just this week.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:25 AM

106 posts, read 111,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akneal9 View Post
I have read lots of really good things about this area from the shopping to cost of living to crime etc. It is also a good size town but not too big. My question is how close to the "northwoods" is it? How far would you have to drive before your out in some nature? Really looking for somewhere with reasonable cost of living but also accessible to metro options and also lots of nature recreation options as well
Easily an hour and a half until you are out into the boons. High Cliff State Park is about a half hour drive away from Appleton and offers some amazing views and trails as well.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:06 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,186,625 times
Nah, you can go west for lakes and woods in a half hour - try Waupaca county (or Wautoma area more NW). It isn't officially The Northwoods, but if you're looking for close nature, that's your best bet. Tons of lakes/trees.

In about an hour, you can also hit the N end of the Kettle Morraine, also lakes/forests. Point Beach is about an hour away, as well, sand dunes/beaches on Lake Michigan and lots of wooded trails. Green Lake area is under an hour, as is Horicon Marsh.

Basically, the Northwoods are an hour and a half or so away, but there are many other options for this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akneal9 View Post
How far would you have to drive before your out in some nature?
A giant lake (Winnebago) is also right there for more "recreational activities."

Old 12-30-2014, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,173 times
That is farther than I was hoping for but still sounds like a pretty good situation. I appreciate the replies

Old 12-31-2014, 08:28 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,186,625 times
Don't underestimate the Waupaca/Wautoma area - it's just west of Appleton, and it's a large region of trees and lakes. It's a fairly good approximation of "up north" in spots (image search "waupaca chain of lakes" on Google).

Old 12-31-2014, 11:43 AM

5,299 posts, read 2,908,467 times
It's a beautiful drive from Appleton to "up north" or to the Wautoma-Mt. Morris-Redgranite area. Same for driving to Door County from Appleton. By Sturgeon Bay, you're almost there... and then the billboards stop and there are quaint little towns and woods and water everywhere. It's really lovely. And you'll be surprised at how quick of a jaunt it really is. Wisconsin has good roads, even in the winter, generally speaking.

I agree with cheese plate about Waupaca, as well. It's lovely there... lots of space to roam around out in nature. There are areas you can park in and just hike around. The fisheries are all over the area and you can explore little creeks and woods. It's a nice get-away. If you google Wisconsin fisheries, the DNR list of places will pop up. I believe it gives a list of all the counties in Wisconsin and where they're located.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:03 PM

2,542 posts, read 5,839,519 times
I went hiking at High Cliff all the time when I lived in Appleton. I loved it. I'm a northwoods girl and enjoyed the park a lot. If you want to be closer to the northwoods, and don't mind the cold, check out Duluth/Superior and Marquette, MI. Of the three, Marquette is probably #1 on my list, but it has a lot less shopping options. Duluth/Superior is a very close #2, and Appleton is #3. But then again, the closer I am to the Big Lake, the happier I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or