Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 01:29 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,138,860 times

Advertisements

OMG, in every forum you are so incredibly rude and hostile. Interesting...... and telling people to not come to forums asking for advice?? Who do you think you are? You just joined the CD forum yourself. You are one nervy person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmatrix0101 View Post
Alright, fine. Minorities or bi-racial parents....don't ask for advice on these forums anymore. Don't listen to anyone here. Move where you want, despite the warnings of areas that have bigots/racists/white folks who don't want you to move to their neighborhood. Feel free to move wherever you want and when your children are tormented, crosses are burned on your front step, and you find out gee, maybe I can't change the entire white population of a town, too bad I bought that house and put my family through this.......you can come back here and re-read the post above that I quoted about how it's not just a simple fix to move wherever you want and force diversity on ppl who simply will make your life miserable.

Go where you're wanted or live your life miserable trying to change the attitudes of other people. In reality, people don't suddenly wake up and thank you for being a martyr marching to the drum of diversity in the face of overwhelming odds. That's the movies. This is real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 04:40 PM

72,874 posts, read 62,362,868 times
I have this to say to the OP. Wisconsin does have some racial prejudice and some bigoted people, just like other states do. The difference is that most of the places that one hears about bigotry in are often in the South. WI isn't that much better. In fact, it is documented that there were alot of possible sundown towns in Wisconsin during the early 20th century were blacks and other minorities were not alot to be after dark apart from servants(even places like Appleton). With that said, that is not to say Wisconsin doesn't have places that are open-minded. If you are looking for a place that is open-minded, you can find that place in Wisconsin. There are open-minded people in Wisconsin as well as close-minded people. I have a friend from Wisconsin and she seems to be open-minded.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Most of the white males I know in Wisconsin do not like the black race. However, I don't know anybody who would harrass a black person. They'd be unhappy to see them move in, but they wouldn't say anything to anyone but close friends. When a neighborhood black population reaches a level of 15 to 20 percent, whites leave. Not overnight, but if whites can afford to leave they do. Look what blacks have done to Milwaukee, Kenosha, Racine etc. Milwaukee has such a great history and look at it now.
If that is what you have to say, then here is my rebuttal. Milwaukee wasn't that horrible until the jobs left. You say blacks ruined Milwaukee and other places. Well, blacks started going to Wisconsin because of the jobs. That is why my grandparents left Mississippi during the 1940's. They couldn't make it there. My own grandmother never wanted to live there again. Yes, Milwaukee had a race riot in 1967. Milwaukee's ruin came when the jobs left. Alot of blacks depended on the factory jobs and when those jobs left, well, things got bad. My father by this time had a master's degree and left the city of Milwaukee during the early 1980's. The economy went bad and the peopel who depended on it suffered. What happened? The crime went up.
You said it as if "all" blacks do this. I'm black and I'm not going out there selling drugs and committing heinous crimes.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:58 PM

53 posts, read 122,443 times
Arrrg......... Race questions are always retarded. Even more retarded is the often conflicting advice comming from many different people. Despite some people thinking that small towns are full of cross burning racist most White people don't care what your race is. I'll break down what "White" rural people don't like.

If your Black, don't act ghetto. Simple as that. No normal person likes anyone that acts that way (there are plenty of white people who try to act ghetto, they get a similar treatment).

If your hispanic, please make at least a half hearted attempt to try and adopt some of our culture. Don't come here and fly big Mexican flags, insist everyone must cater to your poor langauge skills, and whine about how hard you have it.

Asian people, well..... I have never really met any Asian people or seen any that were treated racistly until I got into Wausau. It seems that when the Mong started moving in the crime started going up. Unfortunately there are more than a few White people in that area that think all Mongs are in gangs, so I suppose best thing would be don't act like a gansta.

Any race has bigots and racist. I understand the worries of a black person in a mostly white rural area, it is likely he/she has the same fears as a White person in a black nieghborhood in a large city. I see more people that hate Jews and Amish than Black people in my town.

I haven't experienced much in the way of racism myself, my mother has when she was a kid. I had an incident at a bar where a guy thought I was a Mexican and tried getting under my skin. I thought it was somewhat hilarious, I never thought I looked very Mexican myself. Last year when I was in Madison there was these two Black fellas shouting racist slurs at every White person walking by. I guess I was looking kinda White that day because they called me a ******. Personally I get nervous when I am in a poor all Black neighborhood. Other than that I guess going down into the Deep South would make me slightly nervous.

As far as the OP goes, visit where you want to move to and see how much people stare and make comments and go from there.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:19 PM

In short, PhilJohnson, you're saying don't live up to the stereotypes.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maevel View Post
Hi All
We're white parents to 6 black children and looking for a quiet, clean place to raise them. We've heard WI is a great place to live. Any suggestions for wonderful, tolerant, FRIENDLY places to live that are affordable? Any places to stay away from?
Thanks,
Maeve in Olympia, WA
It has been over two years, but I wanted to get an update. Did you ever find the town you were looking for?

Old 02-17-2009, 05:31 PM

70 posts, read 196,535 times
Threads like this are ridiculous, because if you ask a bunch of white people who live in predominantly white towns if there are any racial tensions in their towns is it any surprise they're going to say "no?" Give me a break.[/quote]

So true! Whites who have never lived in a diverse community cannot answer that question correctly. I live in a diverse area that's split 50/50 and it sucks! Heck, I've been discriminated against because I'm white!

Old 02-17-2009, 09:48 PM

8,281 posts, read 23,044,357 times
Quote:
Threads like this are ridiculous, because if you ask a bunch of white people who live in predominantly white towns if there are any racial tensions in their towns is it any surprise they're going to say "no?" Give me a break.
Sorry only white person in my neighborhood growing up, I guess I don't count huh?

Old 02-19-2009, 02:48 PM

203 posts, read 544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I disagree somewhat with some who say the further north you go the better off you'll be, or that small towns in central Wisconsin will be "just fine." Some specific towns up north are pretty tolerant and laid-back, but once you get outside the Milwaukee area and pockets of Madison, Wisconsin is astonishingly white. (The notable exception is the generally successful integration of a sizeable Hmong population in the Wausau area.) It is not rare at all for small towns in Wisconsin to have a black population of zero. I'd bet there are more than a few towns that have NEVER had black residents. I don't want to give the wrong impression; this has much more to do with historic black migration patterns than outright white hostility. Nonetheless, depending on where you go, this lack of exposure could render your kids something of a curiosity which in turn can result in insensitive, unenlightened comments. Even though no harm may be intended by the offenders, it could be a bit dehumanizing for the kids.

I do agree that you should avoid the Milwaukee area altogether. An earlier

post about the racial tensions there is pretty much on the mark.

My advice is to check out Madison. It's a fairly segregated city, at least to the extent that a city with a 6% black population can be segregated... BUT, it's also a very progressive city -- home of UW after all -- and people will trip over themselves to demonstrate how tolerant they are. Racial tensions are generally low, crime is low, the quality of the public schools is surprisingly good for a city of its size, and there are enough blacks there that your kids won't be regarded as a novelty.

Wisconsin is astonishingly white wow how horrible!!! as if thats a bad thing .i personaly would not move to places where diversity is embraced considering the majority of those places have higher crime lower incomes and a poor qulity of life . i lived in las vegas for three years iv had it with diversity .

Old 02-19-2009, 04:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,951,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFILESMULDER View Post
Wisconsin is astonishingly white wow how horrible!!! as if thats a bad thing .i personaly would not move to places where diversity is embraced considering the majority of those places have higher crime lower incomes and a poor qulity of life . i lived in las vegas for three years iv had it with diversity .
Wow, way to dredge up a 2+ year old post that was clearly qualified as judgment-neutral and then mock it for supposedly being judgmental. Now, kindly crawl back into whatever burrow you slithered out of and shaddup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin