Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 02:08 PM

19 posts, read 74,900 times

Advertisements

Stay away from NE Wisconsin. Although it is very nice, most of the towns (Appleton, Neenah, Hortonville, etc.) are almost ALL white. My husband and I are both white, and we have 3 kids. We reside in Kimberly (which is about 5 min away from Appleton) and I was looking through my daughter's yearbook, and I can honestly say there was no African-American children going to her 800 kid elementary school. While the Fox Valley suits us perfectly, I would advise you stay away.
Good Luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 12:32 PM

409 posts, read 1,504,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinIght View Post
Stay away from NE Wisconsin. Although it is very nice, most of the towns (Appleton, Neenah, Hortonville, etc.) are almost ALL white.
Its really ignorant to tell someone to "stay away" from an area because the area is almost ALL white. This is exactly what NE Wisconsin might need, a little diversity. I suppose some people may want to live their lives, day after day where everyone and everything is and looks the same. I say that no matter what race you are, if you have a good attitude and are friendly, you will fit perfectly into Wisconsin culture. I think if you have these qualities then you should be fine in MOST cases. It would be very sad to me if a non white person got terrible treatment if they moved to a very white community. The sad fact is that it does happen still in 2007 in many parts of the country. But I also believe that the media blows it up into more of a problem then it is. Even though there is a lot of negative history going way back, specifically to the treatment of blacks by whites - it is going to take a conscious effort by ALL races going forward so that hopefully one day this will not be an issue at all and this thread would not have needed to be created in the first place. There is simply too much mistrust and false information between all races and that is the REAL ISSUE.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
LOL "Stay away because it's all white (oh, and my advice will see to it that it stays that way)"

Old 12-12-2007, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,573 times
Default waupun

We are thinking of moving to Waupun and we are a white family with two adopted girls from Uganda. Can anyone tell me if Waupun would be a place where we would be accepted.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:12 PM

279 posts, read 760,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
Its really ignorant to tell someone to "stay away" from an area because the area is almost ALL white. This is exactly what NE Wisconsin might need, a little diversity. I suppose some people may want to live their lives, day after day where everyone and everything is and looks the same. I say that no matter what race you are, if you have a good attitude and are friendly, you will fit perfectly into Wisconsin culture. I think if you have these qualities then you should be fine in MOST cases. It would be very sad to me if a non white person got terrible treatment if they moved to a very white community. The sad fact is that it does happen still in 2007 in many parts of the country. But I also believe that the media blows it up into more of a problem then it is. Even though there is a lot of negative history going way back, specifically to the treatment of blacks by whites - it is going to take a conscious effort by ALL races going forward so that hopefully one day this will not be an issue at all and this thread would not have needed to be created in the first place. There is simply too much mistrust and false information between all races and that is the REAL ISSUE.
it's not ignorant at all, if you have ever lived in smaller towns around green bay, you would understand. it doesn't matter what kind of citizen you are, you will be treated differently in towns like these. the media does not blow it up into a bigger problem, in fact around green bay they do more to cover it up than to bring it out.

it's nice to believe race would not be an issue at some point in the future but that would require some of the bigots to either change or die. the way the attitude carries on through multiple generations up there, we are at least 100 years away from fixing the problem.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellstone View Post
it's not ignorant at all, if you have ever lived in smaller towns around green bay, you would understand. it doesn't matter what kind of citizen you are, you will be treated differently in towns like these. the media does not blow it up into a bigger problem, in fact around green bay they do more to cover it up than to bring it out.

it's nice to believe race would not be an issue at some point in the future but that would require some of the bigots to either change or die. the way the attitude carries on through multiple generations up there, we are at least 100 years away from fixing the problem.
Ok then, so what are we supposed to do to fix the problem, tell people where they can or can't move? Do you think the problem is in minorities moving to these areas, or the racists who live there? It isn't a simple fix, but I also believe that the media blows racism up to more a problem then it is. In my experience, Wisconsinites are very friendly generally love meeting new people, hopefully this includes people of a different race.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:52 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
I love how folks in small town Wisconsin, who are bigots and racist (I lived for a long time in MN., it's almost the same thing), cheer and worship the Packers (mostly black roster)........hhm.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:12 AM

63 posts, read 227,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I love how folks in small town Wisconsin, who are bigots and racist (I lived for a long time in MN., it's almost the same thing), cheer and worship the Packers (mostly black roster)........hhm.
Interesting point... Although I have been advocating that the NFL institute an affirmative action program to help "disadvantaged" white football players make it into the NFL. With such a disproportionate number of blacks in the NFL compared to the general population I only think it is fair that they encourage the recruiting of more white players. I just want to point out this is sarcasm, lol.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggybear28 View Post
Interesting point... Although I have been advocating that the NFL institute an affirmative action program to help "disadvantaged" white football players make it into the NFL. With such a disproportionate number of blacks in the NFL compared to the general population I only think it is fair that they encourage the recruiting of more white players. I just want to point out this is sarcasm, lol.
I think we should worry about that at the same time that we start worrying why this thread had to be created in the first place!!!! BTW.... I am white and I love my beautiful black and white friends. Too bad more people don't have as diverse friends as I have. Then they would really have a better perspective of the world and truly see how false certain stereotypes are for most.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:15 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggybear28 View Post
Would that be to help the small town Wisconsin racists so they can not look as bad when they cheer for teams like the Packers? (LOL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin