Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 09:52 PM

42 posts, read 147,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkj123 View Post
try Green Bay , Wausau, Appleton
I disagree with " Berries" ..I grew up in Wausau ..a town of probably 90,000 people and even thou I never saw any black people there we were not taught to be hatefull. Its true the vast majority of the small towns in Wisconsin are all white, but there good people with good values. Its also true theres always your 10 % that arnt worth a crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 01:43 AM

6 posts, read 22,166 times
I would have to agree that Madison or one of the surrounding cities of Madison, Middleton, Sun Prarie, McFarland etc... would be the route to go.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:06 AM

395 posts, read 1,861,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicaldj1 View Post
I would have to agree that Madison or one of the surrounding cities of Madison, Middleton, Sun Prarie, McFarland etc... would be the route to go.

Ahhh yes, the land where everyone agrees to agree. The town where the 90% white middle class majority lives happily without a trace of racial tension in the air. That is of course, as long as they stay off of Allied Drive. But, of course, Allied Drive is off the beaten path, you can live your whole life without ever driving through it or even near it, so it's easy to pat yourself on the back for living in a "diverse" city because there's an Asian family on your block. Sure, Madison is a great city for Black people and other minorities! How do you know this? Did you ask the one Black guy in your workplace if this was the case? How about the parent of the one Black kid in your kid's class? They're so lucky to live in a place where they are accepted and tolerated! Nothing feels better than to be tolerated by an overwhelming majority!

Threads like this are ridiculous, because if you ask a bunch of white people who live in predominantly white towns if there are any racial tensions in their towns is it any surprise they're going to say "no?" Give me a break.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:22 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkj123 View Post
I disagree with " Berries" ..I grew up in Wausau ..a town of probably 90,000 people and even thou I never saw any black people there we were not taught to be hatefull. Its true the vast majority of the small towns in Wisconsin are all white, but there good people with good values. Its also true theres always your 10 % that arnt worth a crap.
I know that there is that 10% who are full of crap, at the same time, that 10% are always what you see or hear about and make themselves heard, so it doesn't always sound encouraging. Very sad.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:31 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateDaum View Post
Be happy you don't live out in NH. They are intolerant and down right rude to minorities. We have hosted a "Fresh Air" child in the past. Try travelling around New Hampshire, Maine etc with a child who is black. The people act like he is not even in the room and make comments about him. Last year, our summer child was with us in Maine and we ordered ice cream. The clerk was so impatient with him. Then he went back and asked for more napkins and you would have thought the price of a napkin was $3 each. I don't take this type of behavior and have gone toe to toe with many of these cold, bigoted Northeasterners. You would never know it is the 21st century with their close minded intolerance of anyone who is different then them. This year we are hosting 2. They will probably run us out of town!
We always manage to squeeze in a trip to our place in Bayfield. And guess what? They are always so wonderful to our summer child. On our last day one of the store owners gave him a tshirt to remember his time in Bayfield. It is a totally different world up north in WI then out east. We are hoping by next spring to be permanent residents.
That is what I call blunt bigotry. There are bigoted people everywhere, whether in NH or WI. The difference that what you saw was blunt "in your face" bigotry. I live in GA and in many place I see "polite" prejudice. Few people will ever call a black person the "n" word to his/her face, but behind close doors it can happen. There are some people who make less than enlightening comments about minorities and then say they aren't and they have lots of black friends.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:22 PM

246 posts, read 1,007,121 times
I have relatives who live in Eau Claire Wisconsin and have visited them as well. My brother in law is married to my sister in law and he is Hispanic and his wife is caucasian. I haven't heard him speak of any issues which he would tell me about. Going around town there with my wife and our daughters we haven't had any issues either (jamaican / hispanic decent). Then again, not like someone is really going to come up to me and say something looking the way I do.

Can I say that there will be nothing absolutely said to them, no. But, there isn't a place anywhere you can say that. People are going to feel how they want to feel, the kids need to be raised so they can deal with the bad as well as the good.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:35 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,736 times
Most of the white males I know in Wisconsin do not like the black race. However, I don't know anybody who would harrass a black person. They'd be unhappy to see them move in, but they wouldn't say anything to anyone but close friends. When a neighborhood black population reaches a level of 15 to 20 percent, whites leave. Not overnight, but if whites can afford to leave they do. Look what blacks have done to Milwaukee, Kenosha, Racine etc. Milwaukee has such a great history and look at it now.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:59 PM

246 posts, read 1,007,121 times
Its funny when people say "look what (insert race here) have done to this town". Its as if the color alone makes a place bad or downtrodden or whatever.

What happens ot a place is color independent. Considering I live in North Dakota and there are some areas with really bad trailer areas and no real black population in them, could just say "wow, white people sure screw up where they live!". But it has nothing to do with that. Its people who want to live like trash is the problem, nothing else.

You can live in a poor area and still have better living environment than a rich one if people actually care about where they live.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:12 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Its funny when people say "look what (insert race here) have done to this town". Its as if the color alone makes a place bad or downtrodden or whatever.

What happens ot a place is color independent. Considering I live in North Dakota and there are some areas with really bad trailer areas and no real black population in them, could just say "wow, white people sure screw up where they live!". But it has nothing to do with that. Its people who want to live like trash is the problem, nothing else.

You can live in a poor area and still have better living environment than a rich one if people actually care about where they live.
Big difference between run down trailers and violent crime

Old 10-06-2007, 05:15 PM

41 posts, read 191,593 times
Eau Claire is getting better with the racial diversity. Plus the university is in town so that helps. There are programs here for different races and we have a large hmong population as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin