Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 05:13 AM

175 posts, read 256,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEastsider View Post
You started out with promise, but you've since outed yourself as the most basic type of troll. Sad.

Either way, to address the few salient points you've made here, Wisconsin has a population that skews towards baby boomers who barely leave the state other than to go on tacky Florida vacations. (There's a reason this is the only place outside of Florida where Jimmy Buffett is still relevant.)

As much as I don't want to perpetuate the Milwaukee/Madison vs. Suburbs/Northwoods divide, it's relevant that this aging population pretty much dominates the culture outside of the two cities because everyone who goes to college either moves to Milwaukee or Madison, or leaves Wisconsin altogether. That has only made this population even more insular and sheltered. Even the older people in the smaller UW towns like Whitewater or Stevens Point hate college kids even though hosting a public university is the only reason their town has a self-sustaining economy. It's no wonder why politicians who attack the UW System are so popular with this crowd.

I'm oversimplifying a lot at this point, but you ought to be able to connect the dots between all of the other problems you named and having a population that generally skews older, lives in a bubble, and doesn't trust people with college degrees.

Tacky Florida vacations?! Disneyworld is the best there is. Also, your "snob" attitude does not create friendliness, it's Boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 10:36 AM

223 posts, read 391,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Bueller View Post
Yeah. That's it.
Then, by all means, tell me why I'm wrong. But just because you don't like my answer doesn't mean I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv7370 View Post
Tacky Florida vacations?! Disneyworld is the best there is. Also, your "snob" attitude does not create friendliness, it's Boring.
I really hope this was sarcastic, because if not... wow.

FYI, my grandfather was a dairy farmer with an 8th grade education. Yet he made it a point to take my mom and her siblings on road trips because it was important to him that his kids understand that the way things work in rural Wisconsin wasn't how they were everywhere. He'd be in his 80s now, and I think it really sucks that the generations of rural Wisconsinites that came up after him seem more than content to exist in a bubble, and write off anyone who expresses an unfamiliar attitude as a "snob." Especially when many of you don't seem to realize how that makes you just as pretentious as the actual snobs you have such contempt for.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:32 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,861,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEastsider View Post
Either way, to address the few salient points you've made here, Wisconsin has a population that skews towards baby boomers who barely leave the state other than to go on tacky Florida vacations.
As much as I don't want to perpetuate the Milwaukee/Madison vs. Suburbs/Northwoods divide, it's relevant that this aging population pretty much dominates the culture outside of the two cities because everyone who goes to college either moves to Milwaukee or Madison, or leaves Wisconsin altogether. That has only made this population even more insular and sheltered. Even the older people in the smaller UW towns like Whitewater or Stevens Point hate college kids even though hosting a public university is the only reason their town has a self-sustaining economy. It's no wonder why politicians who attack the UW System are so popular with this crowd.
In the majority of your posts you either blame, suburbanites, small town residents, baby booomers or the elderly for the problems in this state. So basically, unless you are young & live in Milwaukee or Madison, you think they are part of the problem. Sounds like ageism as well as a lot of other negative things.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:05 PM

Pretty sure I just talked up my elderly, small town grandfather in the post immediately above yours.

Either way, a lot of us are sick of it being so acceptable to blame Milwaukee (and Madison, to a lesser extent) for all of Wisconsin's problems. Yet the moment we even try to point out that the sh~t of suburbanites and small towners stinks too, we get painted with whiny, judgmental labels like "snob" and "elitist."

My grandfather was the furthest thing from a "city person" as you could get, yet he didn't have that mentality... why is it so hard for other rural Wisconsinites to do the same?

Last edited by MKEastsider; 04-14-2015 at 01:22 PM..

Old 04-18-2015, 06:16 AM

174 posts, read 231,953 times
I really think you need to grow up a bit and pardon me but I will live where I want, Do what I want within reason without you questioning my mentality. Not everyone follows your bus people are different and have the right to be. Come back and speak 20 years from now when you have actually lived your life and talk to us again.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:05 PM

Who's trying to tell anyone where to live? I don't need or want everyone to be like me, but I would appreciate it if the rural/suburban parents who send their kids to UWM and live in my neighborhood would raise them to know how to deal with cultural differences before doing so. I resent how often I find myself having to smooth over social tensions just because these kids' parents didn't care enough about the world outside of their bubble to see the value in instilling such a basic life skill.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Can we assume you're similarly distressed over the oh-so-worldly urban sophisticates who make spectacular boors and asses of themselves while vacationing in rural Wisconsin? Or is this just a one-way concern for you?

Old 04-21-2015, 12:31 AM

Actually... yes. If anything, coming from a place where I have to live near trust fund kids with entitlement issues makes me empathize with the service workers in those towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin