Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 11:12 PM

26 posts, read 78,532 times

Advertisements

Compare and contrast Superior, Ashland, and Rhinelander.

1. Which city/cities do you like most? Least?
2. What are some major differences between the cities?
3. Which are the nicest to live in and raise a family?
4. Which has the best economy?
5. Are the people friendly?
6. What are some recreational things to do in/near these cities? (Both indoor and outdoor.)
7. What is the culture like in these towns?
8. Where is the closest hospital and what's its reputation within the community?

I'm an OB nurse looking to relocate to the North Woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 03:01 PM

Even if someone could give me information about any of these cities that would help me greatly! Also I'd like to know more about the Minocqua area. Thank you!

Old 05-01-2015, 03:37 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terf View Post
Compare and contrast Superior, Ashland, and Rhinelander.

1. Which city/cities do you like most? Least?
2. What are some major differences between the cities?
3. Which are the nicest to live in and raise a family?
4. Which has the best economy?
5. Are the people friendly?
6. What are some recreational things to do in/near these cities? (Both indoor and outdoor.)
7. What is the culture like in these towns?
8. Where is the closest hospital and what's its reputation within the community?

I'm an OB nurse looking to relocate to the North Woods.
I haven't been to Superior or Ashland but my dad is from Rhinelander so I've been going up there since I was born. There's a lot to do if you're the outdoor type. People live to fish & hunt up there. Go kayaking, do some hiking, camping. Just enjoy the smell of the pine. People are fine there, not overtly friendly but not rude either. Lots of bars there too, restaurants are so so. There's a hospital there but as far as its reputation, have no idea. I can't really tell you about the economy since I don't live there 365 but it seems the economy isn't doing so hot. Paper mill is a big employer, some other manufacturing. Anyway, that's about all I can tell you. I love it there, it's my happy place.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:44 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terf View Post
Even if someone could give me information about any of these cities that would help me greatly! Also I'd like to know more about the Minocqua area. Thank you!
Healthcare positions are some of the better paying jobs in that area for sure. Minocqua region is great if you like outdoor recreation and winter sports. Snowmobiling, ice hockey, ice fishing, hiking, snowshoeing, etc are all big. Eagle River has the big annual snowmobile festival and is home to the snowmobile hall of fame. That area is part of the "northern highland" region, Canadian Shield geologically. Higher elevation means colder temperatures compared to both Superior and Ashland throughout the year. Otherwise, the economy in the Northwoods region of Oneida and Vilas counties relies heavily on tourism, small businesses, and smaller scale manufacturing to go along with some paper mills. Real estate and construction were bigger several years ago when greater numbers of retirees moved in and purchased highly inflated lake frontage properties. That has cooled off since the housing bubble imploded and in-migration and growth has been less since then as the average age has increased and greater numbers of younger people and families have left the area for better opportunities elsewhere.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
I've only been to Superior once and Ashland a couple times. Superior was grimy and run down and didn't seem to have much going for it. Its faded industrial past was on prominent display. Supposedly Duluth is considerably nicer but I never got to the other side of the harbor to verify.

Ashland seemed frayed on the edges but they get enough tourism there to keep the place going. I remember it had a pretty well-maintained "Main Street" type of downtown but it was mostly tourist-oriented -- nick-knack stores, fudge shops and the like. Didn't seem like much was going on outside the downtown/tourist areas.

When weekenders and vacationers in the Chain o' Lakes area need to "go into town" for groceries or flip-flops or to eat out or what-not, Rhinelander or Minocqua is "the town" they go to, generally whichever is closer. Minocqua is more tourist-y because it's literally surrounded by the lake chain, so it's premium real estate and there's a lot of money floating around there. Rhinelander on the other hand feels more like a "normal" town since it's not right on the chain.

Obviously, there is a wide variety of outdoor recreational opportunities near all three locations.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:34 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,042 times
Superior is the worst of the 3 - very depressing. However, you're right across from Duluth, which is nice. If you want to be on Lake Superior, go with Ashland, which is much smaller but a bit nicer. Rhinelander is a true northwoods town, so you'll be battling more temperature extremes (least amount of snow, though, most likely) than the other two, but I think it's the nicest city of the three.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:51 PM

I've heard Superior is kind of run down. I love Duluth however I don't think I'd want to live that close to Duluth. Minocqua sounds nice but I think it would be too touristy and expensive for my taste. I've been doing some research and it sounds like Rhinelander has the nicest hospital out of all these areas! I've also read very positive reviews about the area on other forums which intrigues me very much! I've driven through Rhinelander a handful of times and thought the area was very pretty but I honestly don't know much about the town. I'd like to know more! Ashland so far is second to Rhinelander but it sounds like from what I've heard so far the town and hospital aren't as nice as rhinelander's. Thank you everyone for your input so far and I'd be curious to hear more about Rhinelander and/or Ashland if anyone has anything to add.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:03 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times

Keep in mind this show is always ridiculously cheery about whatever place they feature. Also notice in this episode they conspicuously avoid downtown, which they typically feature in cities that have an old-style "Main Street" type of downtown. My guess as to why is, unless things have changed in the few years since I've been there, Rhinelander's downtown is struggling with quite a few vacant storefronts as the business "center of gravity" has been pulled to the east end of town along Lincoln near Highway 17.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:24 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Keep in mind this show is always ridiculously cheery about whatever place they feature. Also notice in this episode they conspicuously avoid downtown, which they typically feature in cities that have an old-style "Main Street" type of downtown. My guess as to why is, unless things have changed in the few years since I've been there, Rhinelander's downtown is struggling with quite a few vacant storefronts as the business "center of gravity" has been pulled to the east end of town along Lincoln near Highway 17.
The downtown is struggling, lots of vacant spaces. It's too bad really. And that episode of Rhinelander sucked, to say the least. It gave absolutely no feel of how Rhinelander really is, very disappointing.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:18 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,047 times
Ashland has a couple decent restaurants, a newly remodel co-op, a great coffee shop, and a pretty regular speaker schedule through the college. Around the Chequemegon Bay, Washburn is the most attractive to many--I have several friends who work in Ashland, but choose to live in Washburn. I have another set of friends that live in Ashland, but enroll their children in Washburn schools. It's on the nicer side of the Bay, but without the prices of Bayfield. I like Ashland, but it is a little run down. It has been working hard to find it's niche. There is a bit of small-townitis (born-and-breds, drinking, underemployment, etc.) but I doubt you won't find that in Superior and Rhindlander, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin