Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 04:27 PM

128 posts, read 268,075 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone here from the Brown/Door/Kewaunee area or in general from Wisconsin who may have information on what the status of Walloon French is in those counties among the Belgians there? I've read quite a lot on this subject as it rather fascinates me how an immigrant language managed to survive more than a century in the US, resisting the death knell dealt so many other languages such as German and Norwegian. Last I read, and this was dated 1970 mind you, the language was in serious risk. Is there any hope that the language may be revitalized? Is there anyone left still speaking it daily? Are children learning the language in any capacity? Even if it's just passive understanding? It would be so tragic if shift to English has finally come about, nearly 150 years after they immigrated to Wisconsin. For the language to survive that long and then shift completely to English would be quite a sad story.

Last edited by viktor77; 05-26-2015 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 08:52 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
We have land out by Little Sturgeon. Parents bought it in the 60s. There were more out-and-out Belgians (Walloon, bright "Belgian blue" houses/farms, etc) when I was a kid, but some old-timers still speak it. Most of these folks are in Door County, though a few stragglers exist in Brown/Kewaunee. The Belgian influence was so strong in southern Door County that I grew up in Sturgeon Bay with Belgian jokes instead of Polish jokes (generally, you just swap the word for "Belgians"). Going up on your front bicycle tire was a "Belgian wheelie." And so on. I believe more exist near Brussels, WI, than anywhere else in the world outside Belgium. The jokes were generally applied, I think, because they so dominated farming in the areas south of Sturgeon Bay....and we were in the BIG CITY doing BIG CITY stuff...haha...also, Door County north of Sturgeon Bay is, of course, a very popular upscale tourist destination. When I moved from Sturgeon Bay to northern Door as a kid, everyone welcomed me "to Door County," even though I'd lived in it my whole life.

Wish I could give you an accurate reading on this...the only people I knew who could speak it 20 years ago seemed old to me at the time. I doubt it's very active, but some of those farming regions are pretty tight and hold to old traditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin