U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 11:33 AM

2,193 posts, read 1,857,337 times

Advertisements

a friend of mine moved from Los Angeles to one of smaller towns in San Bernardino mountains. My friend used to be a socialite, so you'd think she would miss all the opportunities of a big city. Quite to the opposite, she joined a few local groups, started her little farm, got a few dogs and nowadays she seems to be well-rooted in her new community and country life.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 12:44 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,716,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I'm looking at southwest Wisconsin, which I know isn't really scenic, but there's at least less traffic, & therefore easier access to rural trails & possible state parks. I was raised in this area & family still lives there. (It's been 15 years since I lived there last.)
I think this statement is nuts - it's the prettiest area of the Midwest! I'd throw in Lake Superior Shore, maybe, but nothing in the region tops the Driftless. I was born/raised in Door County and have spent a good portion of my free time in the northwoods of WI/MI/MN, and I find myself hitting the Driftless way more at this point. Probably 4-1.

Why not Viroqua? There are actually some good eateries there (Driftless Cafe would do well in any large metro), local music scene, arts, whatever, and it's close to LaCrosse...but it's a slow-paced small town.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:25 AM

3,582 posts, read 2,757,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I think this statement is nuts - it's the prettiest area of the Midwest! I'd throw in Lake Superior Shore, maybe, but nothing in the region tops the Driftless. I was born/raised in Door County and have spent a good portion of my free time in the northwoods of WI/MI/MN, and I find myself hitting the Driftless way more at this point. Probably 4-1.
I don't know. Maybe it's because I grew up in the driftless area that I don't appreciate it. I do like the bluffs along the Mississippi from La Crosse area down to Casseville, but the rest of the driftless are doesn't do much for me for some reason. Nature wise alone in Wisconsin, I prefer the north woods with the pine forests, clear lakes & streams. I also like the sandy soil areas in the middle of the state. But job wise & living wise, I am looking in the lower driftless area in Wisconsin. Near family. I have some leads.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:33 AM

38,487 posts, read 28,586,604 times
I, too, think the driftless is the prettiest part of Wisconsin, with the Superior shoreline being #2.

I could drive through the driftless for days. I usually take a day just to do so... Chaseburg, Gays Mills, wherever... just drive.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:18 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,716,088 times
Same here, but I understand if you grew up there it might seem less "exotic" or whatever. We've spent many weekends driving along tiny winding roads and hitting up parks along the way. I never get sick of it. Though I grew up in northern Door County, and it took me literally decades (recently) to understand why it's one of the biggest tourist magnets in the Midwest. Beautiful, but familiar. Upper Driftless is more scenic than Lower for the most part, though, I get that.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:04 PM

21,849 posts, read 38,273,828 times
I like driving the "Hollow Roads" as I find those to be often interesting and they tend to be roads less traveled. It is interesting that the driftless contains roads that are called that, one of the few geographical places outside of the Appalachians and Ozarks to feature that type of naming designation.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:53 PM

25,710 posts, read 25,073,762 times
Im a small town girl, always have been and always will be. Yes, there are pros and cons...but I lived in Chilton and the crime level was pretty ...very..low. Everyone knew everyone, and though there was local work, if you can get a foot in the door. Land o Lakes, Sargento, Worthington, Bremmer, Thiel Cheese, or if you prefer retail there was Walmart.
Point Im getting at, is NE WI will always be a big part of me, I was hoping to settle there and it was just my type of lifestyle. Down home folks.
The real work, is available in Kiel and New Holstein, but you could five to Manitowoc or Appleton too, if you wanted to commute.

Viktor77, Ive been to Manitowoc many times, it was pretty big, if I remember correctly, around 35,000 people, but I did a lot of business with Fleet Farm. My work boots, clothes, my kayak, camping gear, etc.

Found some footage of a road trip, from Chilton to Manitowoc, from when I first moved there. The roads to everywhere were all two lane roads with farms and plenty of space in between, which to me was again, my kind of living. Beautiful driving though.

(Oh...and I wasn't watching what I was filming in the camera, my eyes were on the road, I was just shooting aimlessly while rolling the footage). Just thought Id toss that out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8dMoeKowas

Old 06-26-2015, 01:08 AM

68 posts, read 47,950 times
I grew up in Phillips in Price County and my mom's family is from towns near La Crosse like Viroqua and Onalaska.
The biggest downsides are: alcoholism, oxycontin abuse, lack of jobs, poor schools and lack of shopping and services, in that order.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:12 AM

459 posts, read 352,356 times
I think Wisconsin is a gorgeous state. I find southwestern Wisconsin absolutely beautiful. If you're willing to give up your services for a more simple way of life you should be ok. If you like going to the gym to swim, weight lift, cardio machines, or play basketball keep in mind there may not be any decent gyms until you go to a major city. Internet will be slower, but you should still be able to receive some kind of internet service. Keep in mind your cell phone coverage will be limited living out there. Might only be able to purchase service from a couple of cell phone providers. Also, you don't have choices out in the country like you do in the city for the most part. For instance, you need a new roof, but only one company in town, or by town will do it and they charge this price for it. Might have to pay that price or go without. The same goes with getting your furnace, air conditioner, electrical, plumbing, car, etc fixed, and utilities. Have to consider health care may not be as good either. Not as much, or no competition; therefore, prices might be quite high for what services are offered. Those are some things to keep in mind when making this decision. Good luck and I wish you well.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:15 PM

346 posts, read 345,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post

Why not Viroqua? There are actually some good eateries there (Driftless Cafe would do well in any large metro), local music scene, arts, whatever, and it's close to LaCrosse...but it's a slow-paced small town.
I agree with everything said here.

The two prettiest parts of the state: The Driftless Region (SW Wisconsin), and Lake Superior.

I grew up in "Walker"sha county and SE Wisconsin, and it is an armpit compared to these places.

Also good are any places near the National Forests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin