U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 03:42 AM

173 posts, read 367,524 times

Advertisements

I am a nurse practitioner student and am considering Northern Wisconsin as the location for the clinical portion of the program.

The possible locations that I am interested in knowing a bit more about are Crandon, Antigo, Wausau, and the Forest County Potawatomi area.

Can anyone tell me a bit about these areas? I think I may have to rent a room or an apartment. I have family near Milwaukee, but have no real experience with this part of the state. I am not even sure what specific questions to ask. I am in my mid-30s and have never lived anywhere that far away from a large city (which is probably by biggest selfish concern right now).

I am curious about the general population - what is the major industry, recreational activities, things about the area that make it special/unique, what the big challenges the residents are facing (if any)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 04:25 AM

173 posts, read 367,524 times
https://americasbestcommunities.com/...munities/5513/

I did find this and thought it was interesting. I watched the videos - if you are a resident of Wausau, do you feel like this is an accurate representation of your community?

Old 07-22-2015, 10:38 AM

638 posts, read 1,458,108 times
As far as population, Wausau is the biggest followed by Antigo, then Crandon and Potawatomi area. The Wausau area is comprised of Wausau and a few connecting communities like Weston, Schofield, Rothschild, Kronenwetter, and Rib Mountain. the population of Wausau is about 40,000 I think but with all the other communities, I would say the area is maybe close to around 70-75 k. Just a guess though. I can't speak for the other communities, but Wausau is a nice area. There isn't a whole lot of night life out there, besides the bar atmosphere. It's a nice community with a lot of outdoor activities. Manufacturing is probably the biggest industry around. The Wausau area has 2 hospitals, Asiprus and St. Claire's.

If I were you, I would make a day/weekend trip up to the area. If you really pushed yourself, you could probably hit all of the areas you talked about in one day to get a feel for yourself.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,603 times
We are looking to move to Antigo. I see that there are approximately 177 houses listed for sale on Zillow. Why do you think that is? Bad place to move? Housing seems affordable and the houses are in really good shape compared to other places we have looked at. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,603 times
I watched the videos, and I wonder the same thing. Seems to be many houses for sale in that area, whats up with that?

Old 07-26-2015, 02:39 PM

21,224 posts, read 36,862,968 times
Antigo is a very rural area that has seen some job losses, few people moving in- therefore low housing prices.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:06 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,166,755 times
The combined Wausau area population is approximately 80,000 people, and the biggest employer is Aspirus Hospital. The Medical College of Wisconsin will be opening a new location in Wausau...

Medical College of Wisconsin in Wausau accredited

Comparing Wausau to these other three locations isn't really a fair comparison. Wausau is much larger, and has much more to offer. It depends what you're looking for. Wausau has a very active arts program, an international kayak course, and four area high schools. Granite Peak draws skiers from all over the state, and many from the Chicago area, as well.

Wausau has a lot of activities, both in the summer and winter. Do your own research, and you'll determine what's best for you.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:28 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,166,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgallant73 View Post
I watched the videos, and I wonder the same thing. Seems to be many houses for sale in that area, whats up with that?
The videos are Wausau, not Antigo. Also, the Wausau area is gaining population, not losing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin