Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 04:41 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,951 times

Advertisements

Hello! We will be moving to Wisconsin next year. What are some good family towns/areas to live near the Dells? Ideally, we would like a country home or hobby farm in an area of lakes, organic farms, biking and hiking, Christian homeschooling families, outdoor natural beauty, community events and festivals... :-) Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 08:30 PM

361 posts, read 861,368 times
Since no one has replied yet, I would guess anything around the Dells (within 60 miles) will be good if you like the rural living. Even in the Dells it is a easy drive to Madison for major shopping and most anything you would need is in the Dells.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:35 PM

67 posts, read 107,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessysunshine View Post
Hello! We will be moving to Wisconsin next year. What are some good family towns/areas to live near the Dells? Ideally, we would like a country home or hobby farm in an area of lakes, organic farms, biking and hiking, Christian homeschooling families, outdoor natural beauty, community events and festivals... :-) Thank you!
Well, there's Baraboo, Prairie du Sac, Sauk City - really anywhere around there is going to be essentially rural where you can find a country home/hobby farm. Lakes and rivers abound; Madison is a short drive to the lake there, plenty of biking and hiking, Devil's Lake is right there. Plenty of community events, Sauk City just had the Cow Chip Festival last weekend, farmer's markets in all the local communities. That's just off the top of my head.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:35 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
I'd suggest west of there, into the Driftless area. At least for scenic value. Though there are nice places northeast (think: Green Lake area, Princeton) in the woods, and just south is the Baraboo Range - Baraboo is a nice little town. And the Wisconsin River valley with Prairie du Sac, Sauk City, Spring Green, etc.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:00 AM

221 posts, read 1,194,951 times
Thank you so much, everyone!

Old 09-16-2015, 09:23 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
You simply can't go wrong if you find something you like anywhere in that area. Baraboo is nice and if you're looking for a place to be near for shopping and what not, that is just a beautiful area.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,163 times
How close do you want to be to the Dells? If you head north on Hwy 13 ~25 miles you'll run into a real neat community of Adams/Friendship. Take a look and see what you think, inexpensive and has just about everything on your list, I used to have a cabin there and miss the area very much, good luck!

Old 09-22-2015, 08:51 AM

2,659 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkars View Post
How close do you want to be to the Dells? If you head north on Hwy 13 ~25 miles you'll run into a real neat community of Adams/Friendship. Take a look and see what you think, inexpensive and has just about everything on your list, I used to have a cabin there and miss the area very much, good luck!
Old thread but non the less.
A/F is NOT a place to live. Visit maybe - but surely not live. You won't find a more backwoods, meth driven group of toothless, inbreds than in that place. Run- don't walk from property there.
I recall talking to the high school principal who needed to leave after a few yrs because of death threats for trying to institute rigor and discipline.

I have a 100 acres near there that I am trying to sell if anyone is interested. Good deer and turkey country.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:02 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
^ Yup, didn't want to be the one to say it. Creepiest area of the state, and that's saying something.

Not sure what's in the water/genes, but it was well-known as a bizarre crime/murder region in the 80s/90s. Just a weird backwoods spot. Think about it - a half hour away is Plainfield (Ed Gein). Had friends from 'Rapids and elsewhere in college who told me the craziest stories about the back country there. And I'm usually the first to dismiss this sort of thing, but I've had some weird interactions there, as well.

It's pretty (in spots) and it's cheap, but I wouldn't recommend Adams-Friendship at all.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:09 AM

404 posts, read 480,313 times
I went to high school in Rapids with a woman that was murdered in AF in 1978.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin