Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:56 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan57 View Post
... just posting my thought that living in WI is so good that such is my reluctance to leave.
So the question becomes whether there is available options that allow the best of both worlds? We moved to central TX a year ago for a career opportunity and are adjusting. I've thought about retirement (still quite a ways off) and wondered if I want to go back or stay here now, or maybe look somewhere completely different. Like Cheeseplate and Timberline - I hate the heat. TX is hot. Really hot in the summer.

What about a seasonal place up north in the summer, like a park model on a lake somewhere, which could be less costly and less intensive to maintain than a full scale residence? Go enjoy the beauty for May - November and then bolt for warmer climates. Pay someone to winterize it and then open it back up in the spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 12:52 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helena101 View Post
It is not uncommon to have snow, freezing rain, and the lovely "wintry mix" in November & April (And the occasional blizzard in March during "spring break" in most of the US). Numerous Halloweens I've seen kids with winter coats on over their costumes, and coats and scarves out in April too. That's a 6 month spread. We start to think of this weather as being fall or spring weather but it's really not by most people's standards.
Actually it's not common. Snow every once in awhile in April or November does not make it common, sorry. You're exaggerating.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:57 PM

251 posts, read 257,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Actually it's not common. Snow every once in awhile in April or November does not make it common, sorry. You're exaggerating.
According to Wiki's climate data, the average temp range in Milwaukee in November is 31-46. April is 36-54. Madison is colder in November and has more average snowfall both months. That is winter weather. Overnight freezing, coats and scarves, and "snow every once in a while" (an average of 2 inches of snow each year in November and April, and that doesn't include freezing rain) is absolutely winter weather by most people's standards. We just don't see it that way because our dead of winter weather with negative windchill is so brutal that a low of 36 or 31 doesn't seem so bad to us.

Without even leaving the midwest, cities like Indianapolis and St Louis have highs almost 10 degrees warmer in both November and April... and everyone would agree those cities have four distinct seasons and do not by any means have short or easy winters.

Last edited by helena101; 10-21-2015 at 01:18 PM..

Old 10-21-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
According to Wiki's climate data, the average temp range in Milwaukee in November is 31-46. April is 36-54. Madison is colder in November and has more average snowfall both months. That is winter weather. Overnight freezing, coats and scarves, and "snow every once in a while" (an average of 2 inches of snow each year in November and April, and that doesn't include freezing rain) is absolutely winter weather by most people's standards. We just don't see it that way because our dead of winter weather with negative windchill is so brutal that a low of 36 or 31 doesn't seem so bad to us.

Without even leaving the midwest, cities like Indianapolis and St Louis have highs almost 10 degrees warmer in both November and April... and everyone would agree those cities have four distinct seasons and do not by any means have short or easy winters.
Like I said, your claim of 7 months of winter is an exaggeration. End of story.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Like I said, your claim of 7 months of winter is an exaggeration. End of story.
I said 6-7 months. We can expect about 6 in a typical year, with 7 in a bad year (those years we get ice/snow in May)

Old 10-21-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I said 6-7 months. We can expect about 6 in a typical year, with 7 in a bad year (those years we get ice/snow in May)
And it's not typical so for you to tell someone we have 6-7 months is disingenuous.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
And it's not typical so for you to tell someone we have 6-7 months is disingenuous.
Um ok, I'll take the time to tell them that it's typically about 6 months of winter weather, and 7 months in a bad year.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Um ok, I'll take the time to tell them that it's typically about 6 months of winter weather, and 7 months in a bad year.
Whatever floats your boat.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:21 AM

174 posts, read 231,814 times
Winter meaning the worst part is generally 4-4and a half months. Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar and then maybe half of Nov or Apr. I don't regard 56 degrees as winter even 46 is a cool day in fall or spring where you put on a jacket and voila it is just fine. I don't get the parka and gloves and heavy sweaters out in April or most of Nov. There are just as many days warmer than normal as cold or colder than normal in those 2 months. I will take those months over 90 degrees for 3-4 months in summer any year

Old 10-22-2015, 06:24 AM

404 posts, read 480,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
So the question becomes whether there is available options that allow the best of both worlds? We moved to central TX a year ago for a career opportunity and are adjusting. I've thought about retirement (still quite a ways off) and wondered if I want to go back or stay here now, or maybe look somewhere completely different. Like Cheeseplate and Timberline - I hate the heat. TX is hot. Really hot in the summer.

What about a seasonal place up north in the summer, like a park model on a lake somewhere, which could be less costly and less intensive to maintain than a full scale residence? Go enjoy the beauty for May - November and then bolt for warmer climates. Pay someone to winterize it and then open it back up in the spring.
We lived in Ft. Worth and Arlington for 9 years. We liked TX and I just don't remember lamenting that it was too hot. But we were a lot younger and it probably was. Heh. In fact we liked it enough to consider retiring there, too. But at least in DFW, there is a little more winter than we're interested in and property taxes are considerably higher than AZ. Are you in Austin?

And all of those suggestions are under consideration. Keep a place in WI and snowbird AZ? Keep a place in AZ and summerbird to WI? Rent, 5th wheel, park model, condo, house... <sigh> At the end of the day, we don't want to make a regrettable decision and/or find ourselves in a situation costing a bunch of money to from which to extract ourselves. Until we retire and have time to explore options, like renting a year in AZ to see how we like it there full time, we really can't do much of anything but wait and save money. Waiting is the part that's getting to me. I would love to make a decision and start moving forward - but we can't for now. Looks like 4 more years in limbo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin