Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 06:58 AM

579 posts, read 664,731 times

Advertisements

Due to a miserable physics PhD experience, I am considering dropping out of the program. However I am not chalking up my issues with any lack of ability on my part, or otherwise blaming the department/program, it's strictly a mental health issue. Nevertheless since Wisconsin is one of those states with teacher shortages that extend well into physical sciences, I thought that it could be a backup plan, insensible perhaps but a backup plan nonetheless.

Here are the most important facts of my case:

1: My teaching experience is limited to 3 semesters of college-level TA (only 1 of which had actual student contact beyond office hours)

2: I did undergrad with a physics and mathematics dual-major (and holds a masters in physics)

3: I would require a H1B or TN visa to work anywhere in the US at this point without F1 status

4: I always pictured teaching K-12 as driving teachers crazy but in a different way from a grad student

Again, maybe this plan is sensible, maybe not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 07:20 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,961 times
To teach in any public school in Wisconsin and most private schools, you would need a teaching degree on top of your other degrees and would need to become a licensed teacher in Wisconsin. Most of the people I know who have taken this route have entered directly into a masters program for teaching, rather than another BA.

I'm not sure how willing districts are to deal with visa/immigration issues. I do know that most districts in the state are running deficits and are doing anything they can to cut costs, including encouraging more experienced (expensive) teachers to quit in favor of cheap recent grads. I think most teachers in Wisconsin will tell you that it isn't a great time to be in the field.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:57 AM

253 posts, read 394,263 times
I think Texas will be your best bet. When I lived there for a short while, it appeared that the school districts did an okay job of recruiting teachers under the H1B program. Also, if you ever desire to pick up on your PhD again, Texas is a great place to be.

Texas Teachers | Resources - Non U.S. Candidates

Texas Teachers | Resources - Sponsors for H1-B Visa

Old 10-09-2015, 08:18 AM

579 posts, read 664,731 times
If Texas was my best American bet for that particular backup plan, then how high is the demand for physical science teachers there?

The only reason Wisconsin came up in the first place is that I wasn't confident in Minnesota accommodating that sort of requests or even having a shortage.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:25 AM

253 posts, read 394,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
If Texas was my best American bet for that particular backup plan, then how high is the demand for physical science teachers there?

The only reason Wisconsin came up in the first place is that I wasn't confident in Minnesota accommodating that sort of requests or even having a shortage.

You would have to check with each of the districts that are accepting H1B candidates for teaching. I don't thing Wisconsin will be accommodating either until you obtain the required degree and licensing. You should contact the Department of Public Instruction.

Contact Us | Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction

http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/licensing/pathways-to-licensure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin