U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 03:46 PM

1,811 posts, read 6,496,219 times

Advertisements

I heard on NPR this morning a great story about a WW2 vet, he mentioned that he lived in Racine. Now, I have never been to Racine but wanted to look up houses, info about the city, etc.

Why can you buy a historic house across the street from the LAKE so inexpensively? I'm from Chgo originally and a lake front house cost $$$$$$.

Is the lakefront area thaaaat bad? I love old houses and saw more than one I would love to have!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 06:32 PM

Info??

Old 11-14-2015, 06:50 PM

7,285 posts, read 14,145,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
I heard on NPR this morning a great story about a WW2 vet, he mentioned that he lived in Racine. Now, I have never been to Racine but wanted to look up houses, info about the city, etc.

Why can you buy a historic house across the street from the LAKE so inexpensively? I'm from Chgo originally and a lake front house cost $$$$$$.

Is the lakefront area thaaaat bad? I love old houses and saw more than one I would love to have!

Thanks!!
Racine is one of those places where it's best to form your own opinion about whether you can live with the proximity to the surroundings.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Racine is one of those places where it's best to form your own opinion about whether you can live with the proximity to the surroundings.
Oh wow, you've really piqued my interest. Thanks for your response. Right across the street from Lake Michigan?? My cousin is heading up to Milwaukee in a couple of weeks, I asked her to keep her eyes open for me regarding Racine.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:43 AM

15,547 posts, read 7,278,040 times
I don't think you want to live in Racine. Just my opinion from one visit but also from other people's comments, that town is a pit of despair.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:00 AM

2,116 posts, read 2,255,382 times
Do your homework. Racine has a high crime rate for a city that size and there is a lot of drug traffic/use related to the location between Chicago and Milwaukee.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Do your homework. Racine has a high crime rate for a city that size and there is a lot of drug traffic/use related to the location between Chicago and Milwaukee.
Oh yes, I did check out the stats. It is hard to find an older house that hasn't been modernized to some extent. I was just mesmerized by the pictures of the houses for sale, intact 1930's farm house sinks, lovely unpainted baseboards and super wide mouldings and all within walking distance of the lake ??

I almost wanted to hop on a plane to Racine and buy them all .

Being from Chicago originally, I live in Georgia now and there NO old house areas that haven't been mostly gentrified and modernized, I certainly know about gorgeous homes in blighted neighborhoods, there's always hope though!

Old 04-15-2016, 12:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,559 times
Racine isn't that bad. I've lived there all my life. There are good and bad parts, as in any other city. Some beautiful houses near the lake(downtown). Then it's a not so nice area(west of downtown). But I live north of downtown and it's a really nice area for average income people.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:14 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,096,954 times
Visited Racine Beach last summer for the first time. Was a nice beach area. What really surprised me was how dumpy the houses and neighborhoods were in such close proximity to Lake Michigan. Maybe they're mostly rentals or low-income?

Although the beach itself was nice, I didn't see any significant amenities within good proximity to it or the neighborhoods near it. Maybe I missed something, but there needed to be something like a shopping district, restaurant area or marina park / green space within walking distance to make it a more useful and desirable area. The marina area looked kinda small and blah to me.

Maybe there are nicer areas near the lake, but I didn't see any of them.

Although living near Lake Michigan on the cheap does have some appeal on paper, please check it out in person to see if Racine is really where you want to live.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:48 AM

86 posts, read 85,309 times
I have lived in and around Racine all of my life.

The downtown historic homes (South of downtown) are very nice looking properties, but the neighborhoods one block West of Main Street are high crime. The city has been trying to get a handle on this for some time now without great success. There has been some progress with people buying these old homes and reclaiming small portions of these neighborhoods.

The downtown marina has been taken over by a new group and is on the upswing for about a year now. There are lakefront condos there but they are kind of plain. The city has been working diligently on completing a river walk from the marina inland to some more parks. (Work in progress)

The area directly North of downtown (between downtown and the Racine Zoo) has allot of nice older homes. The lakefront North Beach area is known for drug / gang activity. This area also has a number of neighborhood bars that are directly West by 1 - 3 blocks, this has been a major problem in the past for after hours people noise, rowdiness and related loud cars and bikes throughout the early AM. The RPD has done allot in this area to curb most of the late night / early AM activity.

The area North of the Racine Zoo (Augusta Street to about Michigan Ct) is a very nice neighborhood, mostly middle / upper middle income homes with great neighbors to the West.

The area of North Bay is really nice, higher end older homes.
Farther North is Wind Point, it has allot of older homes with great Lake views with higher price tags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or