U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 08:54 AM

2,060 posts, read 3,007,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
In Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin, tornados are more prevalent. The same wind pattern that makes Chicago the Windy City travels down the corridor between Janesville WI and Rochelle IL...

Fun fact - Chicago's nickname as the windy city did not come about because of weather patterns but rather it's for loud, boasting politicians.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 03:55 PM

32 posts, read 37,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Maybe they weren't as frequent as you remember, but were memorable because they were scary?
Maybe. But I wasn't really that scared. When you have them often enough, you get kind of used to heading down to the basement and watching tv down there. Lol

Old 08-20-2016, 07:36 AM

279 posts, read 674,495 times
Tornadoes are not normally a major factor in deciding which community to live in. A tornado can actually hit your town, but the damage path is often very narrow, and they are pretty rare. The big destructive type (EF-4 and EF-5) are even more rare, those are usually further south in places like Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma.

Wisconsin has to my knowledge only had 2 storms like that in its history, the Barneveld one, and some town near Fond du lac whose name escapes me.

Common thunderstorms that take down some tree branches or a few shingles, can happen once or twice a summer. In general, the stronger storms are probably further south, but often more damage occurs in the northern part of the state because there are more trees.

Tornado alley moves and changes a bit from year to year. A few years back, minnesota actually had the most tornadoes in the country, and it is not normally thought of being part of tornado alley. The weather patterns change and you never know exactly what to expect. That said, your odds of dying in a tornado are very low because we usually get ample warning if there is a threat and again if one is indicated on radar or spotted.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:03 PM

21 posts, read 54,529 times
[quote=Wellstone;45198793] "Tornadoes are not normally a major factor in deciding which community to live in. A tornado can actually hit your town, but the damage path is often very narrow, and they are pretty rare. The big destructive type (EF-4 and EF-5) are even more rare, those are usually further south in places like Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma. Wisconsin has to my knowledge only had 2 storms like that in its history, the Barneveld one, and some town near Fond du lac whose name escapes me."

Actually, there have been dozens of F4/EF4 tornadoes in Wisconsin's past, and at least eight F5/EF5 tornadoes. By far the deadliest Wisconsin tornado was the 1899 "New Richmond Tornado" that killed 117 and completely obliterated the town of New Richmond. That tornado is ranked #9 on the list of deadliest tornadoes in the history of the United States. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1899_New_Richmond_tornado

Here is a list of the known F5/EF5 tornadoes in Wisconsin's history:

May 22, 1893: Willow Springs, WI (3 killed)

May 18, 1898: Marathon County, WI (12 killed)

June 12, 1899: New Richmond, WI (117 killed)

Sep 21, 1924: Clark & Taylor Counties, WI (18 killed)

June 22, 1944: Grant County, WI (9 killed)

June 4, 1958: Menomonie / Colfax, WI (21 killed)

June 8, 1984: Barneveld, WI (9 killed)

July 18, 1996: Oakfield, WI (0 killed)

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._EF5_tornadoes

Old 08-22-2016, 07:52 AM

7,214 posts, read 8,358,066 times
I wouldn't use prevalence of tornadoes as a criteria for moving to any part of Wisconsin. While occasionally ones do come through various areas of the state, the ones doing major damage or resulting in fatalities are very rare.

I recall a few years ago, a tornado hit Stoughton and a boy was killed. The saddest thing is that he was in his basement, exactly where he was supposed to be. I think a chimney collapsed on him. That's really just the kind of freak act of nature you can't guard against, no matter where you live in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or