Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2016, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,551 times

Advertisements

Husband's job requires that we move around often. We are told that we will likely be sent to Kenosha in October till sometime in January or February. That means we need a short term lease. Most of my apartment searching has so far turned up places that say they only do 12 month leases (or super expensive fully furnished- we move with all our stuff, so that's not needed).

Can anyone recommend a nice place that does a 3 or 4 month lease? We have no pets or kids, just the two of us so a 1 or 2 bedroom would work. Hoping not to spend more than $1300/mo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 03:07 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
I don't foresee you having a lot of luck with that short of lease term. 'Most' LLs are not willing to do it because they don't like doing turnovers more than they absolutely have to due to the expense.

Your best bet is to try searching for sublets or short-term/extended stay places in that area and you might just find someone who has a lease term ending around the time you want to move.
Here's some search results for Kenosha/Racine for sublets/temporary/short-term stay housing.
kenosha-racine sublets & temporary housing - craigslist

Just a note: there are TONS of places in Racine for very reasonable rents (and home sales in that area are rock bottom pricing as well) however, it is currently a very depressed area and some of the neighborhoods can be less than desirable due to the depression but if it is only for a few months it might be tolerable. You would definitely save money on rent and commuting overall.

Actually, being that that area has so much vacancy you actually might just have better odds of finding some apts/houses that would be willing to rent short-term. You won't know until you try.

Good luck!

Just another thought: For places that require a 6 or 12 month lease minimum, you could try offering them a bit more money per month to negotiate a shorter term. That way it might make it worth their time on the turnover expense.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 09-17-2016 at 03:20 PM..

Old 09-19-2016, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,551 times
Thanks for the advice. I did look into sublets, and I might have found one! Just have to hope no one steals it, since I can't fully commit until my husband's company gives us official marching orders, which won't be for at least two weeks. Ugh.

I'm kind of surprised I never thought to look into sub-leasing before, this is not our first short term gig. However, I've never had so much of an issue finding at least one apartment complex that was willing to work with us.

I've never thought about offering more rent as usually that's expected with a shorter lease to begin with.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:35 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raesive View Post
Thanks for the advice. I did look into sublets, and I might have found one! Just have to hope no one steals it, since I can't fully commit until my husband's company gives us official marching orders, which won't be for at least two weeks. Ugh.

I'm kind of surprised I never thought to look into sub-leasing before, this is not our first short term gig. However, I've never had so much of an issue finding at least one apartment complex that was willing to work with us.

I've never thought about offering more rent as usually that's expected with a shorter lease to begin with.
You're welcome and yes, normally a 6 month lease is more expensive than annual but if you want less than 6 months and you can't find places that will bite on that, then try making an offer of an extra $100 a month on top of a 6 month lease cost and that might give them more incentive to rent to you. It sure beats continually pounding the pavement and going through the headaches of trying to find that needle in a haystack place that will take less than a 6 month lease. That is, of course if you don't end up getting that sublet. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin