Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 08:40 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
I saw this photo on USA Today and was stunned.

Wisconsin releases statement on fan wearing racist costume to game | For The Win

Even growing up in Mississippi I never saw anything like this, nor ever imagined that anyone would do such a thing. More things that stood out in this photo are that everyone in the stands (or at least everyone in this part of the stands) is white. And someone wearing camo to a football game?

What is going on in Wisconsin? This happened in Madison, which is the only even vaguely liberal part of the state that I know of. When I went through there on a bus about 20 years ago and went into a restaurant, everyone in the place turned around to look at me, and I'm not even black, I'm Italian! I guess even that sort of tanned dark skin was an oddity to them. The lady at the counter was so unfriendly that when I tried to order something to-go I just gave up.

People always berate the South for this sort of thing, but it seems to be on a whole 'nother level in Wisconsin.
I don't see this as racist. Based on the sign the individual is wearing and the timing of it during the election campaigns, it is political, and tasteless, but not necessarily racial. If someone feels that Obama has committed treason, as some do, the penalty is still potentially hanging. It registers in my mind as a political costume done in poor taste during an emotionally charged election season.

The fact that a predominantly Caucasian state has a predominantly Caucasian audience at the states largest university campus is hardly grounds to declare racism. Camouflage at a football game is commonplace and also completely without ties to racism. There is a huge <imagine a Trump inflection here> hunting contingency in Wisconsin and every Packer and Badger game is filled with camo in the stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 08:44 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
I don't see this as racist. Based on the sign the individual is wearing and the timing of it during the election campaigns, it is political, and tasteless, but not necessarily racial. If someone feels that Obama has committed treason, as some do, the penalty is still potentially hanging. It registers in my mind as a political costume done in poor taste during an emotionally charged election season.
It is hard to interpret lynching of a black man (in effigy) as anything else, but racial.

At best it is pure ignorance to the racial connotations, but the individual would have to be so ignorant to not understand this that the outcome would be little better.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:51 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
I saw this photo on USA Today and was stunned.
Well that's how it works. Everything's a sign of something bigger these days, right? One kook means it MUST BE THE WHOLE STATE!!!

Quote:
Even growing up in Mississippi I never saw anything like this, nor ever imagined that anyone would do such a thing.
BS. If you set foot in a school and studied any history of your state, you know very well that "someone would do such a thing", because they did such things right in your own backyard.

Quote:
More things that stood out in this photo are that everyone in the stands (or at least everyone in this part of the stands) is white.
Most of Wisconsin is white as are most UW grads. So who do ya think goes to their games?

Quote:
And someone wearing camo to a football game?
That's highly representative of outstate Wisconsin. And it gets cold at those games. Why did you point that out? Or was that just another failed attempt to connect another dot that didn't exist? What is it? Camo=racist? Is that were that was going?

Quote:
What is going on in Wisconsin?
A football game with a bunch of drunks at Halloween right before a big election season?

Quote:
This happened in Madison, which is the only even vaguely liberal part of the state that I know of.
It's just plain liberal. The rest of the state isn't liberal though.

Quote:
When I went through there on a bus about 20 years ago and went into a restaurant, everyone in the place turned around to look at me, and I'm not even black, I'm Italian! I guess even that sort of tanned dark skin was an oddity to them. The lady at the counter was so unfriendly that when I tried to order something to-go I just gave up.
While I could stereotype Italians like you are stereotyping Wisconsinites, I'll offer a more likely scenario: You walked into an establishment, looked condescendingly at the "locals", treated the woman at the counter like crap, and you got bad service. See how I politely avoided suggesting that it was your "stereotypical" tank top, chest hair, gold chains, and loud, obnoxious accent laced with profanities? Kind of like you stereotyped people?

Quote:
People always berate the South for this sort of thing, but it seems to be on a whole 'nother level in Wisconsin.
Swing and a miss!

Old 10-31-2016, 09:07 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post

It's just plain liberal. The rest of the state isn't liberal though.

Yes actually, there are areas of liberal leanings outside of Madison.

Why that moron had an Obama mask & then a sign that ranted out Hillary is beyond me.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:03 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times
What's up with all these WI racism threads? Is someone trying to start an unwarranted movement or something? You'd think everyone is wearing white hoodies...

Old 10-31-2016, 02:39 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It is hard to interpret lynching of a black man (in effigy) as anything else, but racial.

At best it is pure ignorance to the racial connotations, but the individual would have to be so ignorant to not understand this that the outcome would be little better.
The "interpretation" is much easier when you read the sign this individual is wearing. It is an anti-Hillary message with the intent clearly linking Hillary and Obama.

I think the ignorance statement is much easier to establish than an intended racist agenda. Having been to a few UW games and understanding the average BAL in the stadium, I suspect poor judgement is the culprit here, on many levels.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:17 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
Madison=san Francisco of the Midwest

Old 11-01-2016, 07:16 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
I think the ignorance statement is much easier to establish than an intended racist agenda. Having been to a few UW games and understanding the average BAL in the stadium, I suspect poor judgement is the culprit here, on many levels.
I have to ask - does BAL stand for blood alcohol level?

Old 11-02-2016, 06:16 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Madison=san Francisco of the Midwest
Not even close, it is much more stodgy/conservative than SF, I've lived in both. Madison isn't all that liberal, and it doesn't have a hedonistic streak at all. It is liberal for the midwest, but that's about it.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:13 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yes actually, there are areas of liberal leanings outside of Madison.
Very true. Stevens Point is one of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin