U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 01:13 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,864,423 times

Advertisements

According to the census, in 2013 the city has 103,000 population. Nearby you have Appleton and other burbs and small towns.

However, evevery city I know that has a sports team usually at least has a half million population and enough fans with disposable incomes for season tickets.

Is Green Bay a weird exception where people from other parts of the state travel there?

Is it a small stadium compared to other major cities???

I've never been to WI. I'm only looking from a geographic perspective. Milwaukee and Madison are pretty far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 01:55 PM

247 posts, read 258,751 times
People travel from all over the country to go to Lambeau! It's an experience of a lifetime. Especially when it is -2 degrees and the Pack delivers a win!

Old 11-22-2016, 02:01 PM

711 posts, read 1,446,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
According to the census, in 2013 the city has 103,000 population. Nearby you have Appleton and other burbs and small towns.

However, evevery city I know that has a sports team usually at least has a half million population and enough fans with disposable incomes for season tickets.

Is Green Bay a weird exception where people from other parts of the state travel there?

I've never been to WI. I'm only looking from a geographic perspective. Milwaukee and Madison are pretty far.
The Milwaukee metro is 1.5 hours away, the Madison metro is about 2.25 hours, and there is no other NFL team in the state of WI. So, you've got almost 6 million fans without even leaving the state.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:11 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,864,423 times
Is it a small stadium?

Old 11-22-2016, 02:18 PM

2,090 posts, read 2,015,756 times
Quote:

There are Green Bay Packer fan clubs and bars where people gather to watch the team play in every major metro area in the United States. The fan base is second to none and that is fueled in part by the fact that the Green Bay Packers are the only team in professional sports that is publicly owned. Read more here about how this is never going to be duplicated.

With over 80,000 people on the waiting list for season tickets, the wait is expected to be ~60 years at this point. Every game is a sellout for over 20 years now if I remember correctly. This is because people come from all over the state, and even the nation, to see the stadium, the Packer Hall of Fame, and the games. There is no more loyal fan base/ownership group in the world.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:26 PM

4,785 posts, read 5,322,839 times
Many, if not all, NFL teams have fans from throughout the country.

Living near where "your" team plays isn't mandatory.

I'm a Green Bay fan that lives in Florida.
I could care less about what the Miami Dolphins are doing, but will go to one of their games now and then just because I enjoy being at a live football game and their stadium's close to where I live.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:31 PM

277 posts, read 135,093 times
My sister is a season ticket holder and lives in Illinois. Comes up for every game. She went on the wait list when she went to St Norberts for college back in the 70s. She got her tickets about 8 years ago.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:34 PM

2,090 posts, read 2,015,756 times
Quote:
Is it a small stadium?
Lambeau Field is the 4th largest stadium in the NFL with capacity over 81,400 people.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:53 PM

11,943 posts, read 17,449,024 times
I have an friend who resides in Green Bay and is predictably a serious Packers fan. I asked him the same question once.

He said something about how the Packers were founded when anyone who had the money and motivation could start a football club. I guess Curly Lambeau was one such individual. Putting up winning records relatively early in the league's history helps to create a winning culture and memories.

I will admit, their presence there does seem counterintuitive. None the less, you cannot argue with success.

I went to a Monday Night game years ago at Lambeau Field. An experience that is not to be missed. Don't skip the Brats.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:58 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,390,554 times
I grew up in Green Bay and worked for the Pack.

Their fan base goes well beyond the city limits, reaching all over the state. Hell there are "Milwaukee games" where a great portion of Milwaukee Metro drive 1.5hrs north. Something to note is the % of WI's population that are die-hard Packer fans. Chicago proper has nearly 3 million residents but you have to ask yourself how many of them are into football...and also into the Bears? In the Green Bay area you're a weirdo if you don't love the packers.

Why the widespread Packer love? They are the only publicly traded NFL team, and majority shares are owned by residents within the city limits. To some, this type of ownership makes the Packers "America's Team", hence the geographically diverse fan base. Hell when I moved to Hollywood, I expected to be out shouted by die-hard 49er fans, etc....only to find no one cared about football except those in the Packer bar RIGHT NEXT DOOR.

Last edited by adr3naline; 11-22-2016 at 03:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or