U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-20-2017, 05:19 PM
 
363 posts, read 733,096 times
Reputation: 134

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've heard great things about Port Washington. I'm considering moving there. I'm curious about the environment. I know there can't be much diversity. I would like your input.

Also, I wanted to know what the shopping is like in Port Washington?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2017, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Where you aren't
1,245 posts, read 756,766 times
Reputation: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelightful View Post
Hello everyone,

I've heard great things about Port Washington. I'm considering moving there. I'm curious about the environment. I know there can't be much diversity. I would like your input.

Also, I wanted to know what the shopping is like in Port Washington?

Thank you.
I drove their once in the early morning hours for emergency vet service. Other than that I don't know much. Nearly 60% their voted for trump, I like the place even more already. If you are looking for a place that is liberal, Port Washington isn't it. I suggest madison, or milwaukee ( not capitalized because they're unimportant ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2017, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee, WI
2,148 posts, read 1,613,940 times
Reputation: 2368
I think the place is lovely. Totally safe. Probably not too social conservative (they're fairly close to Milwaukee after all). Been there only twice for salmon fishing though, that's the extent to what I know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2017, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Mequon, WI
7,835 posts, read 19,562,238 times
Reputation: 4430
I love Port, even thought about moving from Mequon to there. Diversity, it's 95% white and the remaining 5% of 11,500 is mainly black and Hispanic and some Asian equal about 600 of the 11,500. As far as economic diversity plenty of regular joes and only a few wealthy people but not a lot. It's nice middle class to lower middle class area. Port has a really nice down, great parks and a nice lakefront area and festivals that center around the lake front. I would classify it as an up and coming area. It has a really nice housing stock with some very nice older homes.

I absolutely love Port and being able to hop on the freeway and be downtown in 30 minutes is a huge plus. Politically it's not as socially conservative as you might think with about the most conservative ward being 54% Trump and 37% Clinton and the most liberal ward closing the gap to 48% Trump 43% Clinton. Politics rarely ever comes up and I know a lot of people like to live by people who act and think like themselves but it's not an issue no matter where you are. I have lived in Mequon for 2 years now and I have no idea what my neighbors think or who they support. It just never comes up. It's a non-issue even when I live on 2nd & National. I knew they were all liberal but it doesn't come up unless you're like me and you put a Scott Walker sign in your window and your neighbors suggest you take it down because someone might throw a rock through your window.

I would check out Port, great houses for cheap and even brand new house won't set you back a lot either. The town just has a great "feel" to it. Saukville is okay but people there refer to it as "Suckville" so take that how you want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2017, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Mequon, WI
7,835 posts, read 19,562,238 times
Reputation: 4430
Oh I forgot to address shopping. Port has a lot of great little shops but so does Grafton and Cedarburg which are right down the road. Grafton has a killer pizza place with great gluten free pizza. For big box stores you have to go to HWY 60, the Grafton exit, it pretty much has everything you need. Port to Downtown Grafton is only 10 min away and hwy 60 is like 5 minutes. Cedarburg is 15 minutes away. Plus Bayshore is right down the freeway as well 20-25 min away.


PS: Here is the voting breakdown, wards and cities for Ozaukee County. http://www.co.ozaukee.wi.us/DocumentCenter/View/9689
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2017, 06:18 PM
 
363 posts, read 733,096 times
Reputation: 134
Wow!!!!! Thank you all for the information. I can't wait to discover more about Port Washington. It sounds like an amazing place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2017, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Where you aren't
1,245 posts, read 756,766 times
Reputation: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I love Port, even thought about moving from Mequon to there. Diversity, it's 95% white and the remaining 5% of 11,500 is mainly black and Hispanic and some Asian equal about 600 of the 11,500. As far as economic diversity plenty of regular joes and only a few wealthy people but not a lot. It's nice middle class to lower middle class area. Port has a really nice down, great parks and a nice lakefront area and festivals that center around the lake front. I would classify it as an up and coming area. It has a really nice housing stock with some very nice older homes.

I absolutely love Port and being able to hop on the freeway and be downtown in 30 minutes is a huge plus. Politically it's not as socially conservative as you might think with about the most conservative ward being 54% Trump and 37% Clinton and the most liberal ward closing the gap to 48% Trump 43% Clinton. Politics rarely ever comes up and I know a lot of people like to live by people who act and think like themselves but it's not an issue no matter where you are. I have lived in Mequon for 2 years now and I have no idea what my neighbors think or who they support. It just never comes up. It's a non-issue even when I live on 2nd & National. I knew they were all liberal but it doesn't come up unless you're like me and you put a Scott Walker sign in your window and your neighbors suggest you take it down because someone might throw a rock through your window.

I would check out Port, great houses for cheap and even brand new house won't set you back a lot either. The town just has a great "feel" to it. Saukville is okay but people there refer to it as "Suckville" so take that how you want to.
What does that say for the democrats that they can't handle someone's freedom of speech, only theirs is acceptable. It is sad democrats have to resort to destruction of property to bully people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top