U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 07:14 PM

13 posts, read 30,247 times

Advertisements

My husband,myself and 14 yr daughter are moving to Sheboygan. What is job market, cost of living and education like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 01:13 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,157,604 times
You're moving to a new city without a job, knowledge of its COL, or quality of education? Really?

Old 04-18-2017, 02:57 PM

2,085 posts, read 1,705,839 times
Job market sucks, except for some relatively entry level service sector positions. Indeed.com first two pages of openings listed are <$15 an hour for almost all except a few incentive based false promises - oops, I mean sales positions.

Cost of living is modest compared to most areas in the country, but that can be pretty subjective depending on where you are moving from...(?)

Education system in WI is excellent. It is the high point in your questions. Unfortunately, you will pay for it via one of the highest overall combined tax burdens in the country. The WI public education system including the UW and technical school system is a weight around the neck of a drowning working class there. Unfortunately, it will become (or already is) unsustainable.

What makes you want to move to Sheboygan? What type of career will you be looking for? Where are you coming from, for COL comparison? Are you planning to rent or buy?

Old 04-21-2017, 08:35 AM

7,289 posts, read 12,528,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbethanie02 View Post
My husband,myself and 14 yr daughter are moving to Sheboygan. What is job market, cost of living and education like?
A reasonable question is, why are you moving there if you aren't moving for job market, cost of living, or education? Did you throw darts at a map?

Old 05-01-2017, 12:00 AM

13 posts, read 30,247 times
Oh geez. Here we go. Ok we did our research from here, visited for a couple of weeks. Just wanted input from locals if you're not from area no need to comment. As far as survival,we have an abundance of resources so not worried about living day to day. I'm in the medical field and husband is in marketing and promotions. Not worried about finding work. Even if we have to drive a ways. We wouldn't be going if we couldn't support ourselves. Duh...

Old 05-01-2017, 05:57 AM

310 posts, read 115,719 times
Sadly, none of the responders are actually in Wisconsin. Unfortunately, I know little about Sheboygan because I'm a transplant too. I have been there a few times, but just to pick up cargo heading North. In the summer the waterfront is nice... that's about all I have.

If not Sheboygan, Appleton is doing well; good schools, jobs, health care, reasonable cost of living for Midwest cities.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:55 AM

2,085 posts, read 1,705,839 times
OP (Oh Jeez) when you have a reputation of 14 and post a generic question with no details or backstory about moving and ask "What is job market, cost of living and education like?" - you leave yourself open to some scrutiny.

Ok, let's clarify. I spent most of the first 45 years of my life in Wisconsin. I have lived in Northern Wisconsin, Southern Wisconsin, rural tourism-based economy, and Milwaukee. I have hired and fired hundreds of employees managing statewide in a couple industries in Wisconsin, as well as lived through a year of unemployment in Wisconsin. So, thank you, I am fairly familiar with both the good and the bad in the state.

Medical field will be better than most, obviously, for employment. Depending on exactly what you do I know there is a hospital there that is part of the Aurora Health Care system. Aurora is a well liked employer by most, we have family and friends that work for them in areas around the state. West Bend also has a pretty good sized hospital and medical care facilities. Marketing and promotions employment may be a little tougher. I don't know a lot about that but suspect there may be more opportunities in the Fox Valley, Oshkosh, Appleton, or Neenah-Menasha.

The cost of living comparisons I am certain you saw in your research and I cannot really comment or compare since you still haven't given a reference to compare to, and the education system in the state is documented on most sites as one of the best in the country. If the darling daughter has a particular interest or passion that one high school may offer or that may be important then knowing that would be beneficial for people to comment more intelligently. Since I also have several of those (daughters) and have moved cross country with them, I do understand that challenge and would be willing to offer up pointers on how to handle the emotional trauma of moving a 14 year old 1200 miles as she is convinced you are ruining her life. If you prefer not to share any information regarding the daughter, that's fine also. Your privacy is always respected.

Good luck.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:54 PM

7,552 posts, read 18,546,480 times
Sheboygan gets a bad rap but it's more reputation than truth. Some of the best golf in the country is there, great restaurants and a pretty diverse and wide employment sector, especially for a city it size. Sheboygan has a lot going for itself it just gets a bad rap from outsiders than have never been to sheboygan.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:40 PM

13 posts, read 8,238 times
Hi! I lived in Milwaukee, Wisconsin for 4 years getting my degree. I worked in West Bend which is close by and it is country suburban feel. I don't know much about cost of living there but it seems reasonable to any suburban midwest town. A lot of people I went to school with were from Wauwatosa, Waukesha, Appleton, Meqoun. A city to look into which has a good feel is Delafield/Pewaukee. Madison is a nice city and lots of job opportunities, although part of the city is a college town which is quiet during the summer months. I loved living in Milwaukee. Hope this helps!

Old 05-10-2017, 11:15 AM

7,289 posts, read 12,528,063 times
Quote:
As far as survival,we have an abundance of resources so not worried about living day to day. I'm in the medical field and husband is in marketing and promotions. Not worried about finding work. Even if we have to drive a ways. We wouldn't be going if we couldn't support ourselves.
So then why are you asking about the job market and cost of living if you've already got an abundance of resources and not worried about finding work? I think you forgot your original post.

Quote:
You got follow up questions, then came back to argue that you didn't need answers to the questions you asked and didn't like who answered you. You asked about the job market, and cost of living. Then said you aren't worried about the job market or cost of living.

Quote:
Duh...
Exactly.

Quote:
if you're not from area no need to comment.
That isn't how the internet works, Princess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or