Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 02:08 PM

80 posts, read 147,692 times

Advertisements

My husband has been talking to employers in two cities in WI and is very interested in moving there. We have lived in NH for 30 years (DH and all our kids were born here; I was born and grew up in MI,) and don't think we'll experience a big change when it comes to climate, demographics, and landscape (sans the mountains) -- which is a good thing since he also considered southern WY which looks like Afghanistan to me! Whew!

So, the two cities he is interviewing with are in Ashland and Sheboygan. We have never been to either, but he is interviewing at both in July. Growing up in MI, I assume that it WI isn't much different from that, but wondering about those particular cities. We live in a very rural part of NH -- the closest "big" city is an hour away (Concord,) but it's quite small compared to, say, Milwaukee.

We want to remain in a smaller town and more rural area, even if that means a commute (within 1/2 hour.) It's looks very possible near those towns, esp. Ashland. We also don't care about schools because we homeschool.

I would love to get feedback on those towns -- the goods and bads. Economy, weather (we are used to A LOT of snow -- more than 60 inches/year where we live,) crime, living near those giant lakes. I have to say that we love the homeschool laws and your Governor.

Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 02:16 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Ashland is waaaaay up there. Pretty, but super small, with a cute little college. I don't mind cold or snow at all, but damn, that's a challenge! Beautiful area though.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Ashland is waaaaay up there. Pretty, but super small, with a cute little college. I don't mind cold or snow at all, but damn, that's a challenge! Beautiful area though.
Yes, and it's the town most interested in him. But, again, I live in the NH mountains, so used to a lot of snow and it's good to know that I wouldn't lose all this beauty moving up there.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:46 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
I never lived in either area though used to run sales routes that took me up thru the northwoods of WI and then over to Duluth then back down to Madison. Going past Hurley, Ashland, etc. Also when growing up had family in northern WI. From a scenic aspect I would vote for Ashland hands down. But i also made those trips in winter and when the storms blew in over the lake it was nasty. And closest real city may be Duluth which is a drive in good weather.
Sheboygan may also have its positives and is an hour from Milwaukee or Green Bay with other smaller cities along the way.
My first thought is Ashland will offer the beauty and serenity while Sheboygan closer to more options for medical, shopping, and other activities.

Schools may not be a priority but i would take a look at both locations for what they offer kids from sports to recreational options to arts if they are in music, etc.

I have to admit the choices given are interesting as they are not similar and can both be the right choice. Keep us posted! And good luck.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:35 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
From a jobs perspective, Sheboygan is more favorable because of the larger number of total jobs in the area and within a reasonable commute nearby in case other opportunities open up that are more favorable. Ashland has much nicer scenery than Sheboygan, but is much more rural, and far fewer good jobs overall.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:28 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Actually, these two areas may look similar on the first glance but they are fairly different. Sheboygan is five times the size of Ashland and lies between much more populous areas. Ashland is remote. It IS the bigger "city" in the area. Much of the surrounding area is lots of, well...not much. Duluth/Superior is 60 miles away and some question that as a destination. Ashland is 20% more snow than you are used to and combines a cold Lake Superior chill with that snow. Check out this response I offered to another considering moving there from Houston area. I love the area, wish I was closer to it, and think it is a great place to take the family if you want to be remote from everything except trees and water.

Sheboygan is a great area too. It lies on the windward side of Lake Michigan so the impact of lake effect snow is less than you would experience in Ashland. It also is a couple weather zones south and will have fairly significantly warmer weather much of the time. Access to commercial airfare, cultural amenities, and advanced health care are very limited in Northern Wisconsin beyond Minocqua area up to Duluth. Sheboygan would have much easier access to those types of things. Sheboygan will have some amazing state parks nearby, and the lakeshore is quite picturesque as well. It simply is not as remote.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 06-17-2017, 07:35 AM

174 posts, read 231,729 times
Moved from NH where we lived for 23 years but were just east of Manchester and loved having the ocean and mountains close by. We live between Madison and Milwaukee now. Ashland would give you a NH look without the mountains but boy it will be brutally cold in winter. Bayfield is a beautiful are right near there. Sheboygan like people have said would give you more access to every amenity but is not huge to feel intimidated by hordes of people. The further north you are makes winter last just that much longer. Good luck on search.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:12 PM

Thanks for all the great response! He is also talking to someone in Superior, WI. A lot to think about. We are definitely used to a lot of snow and cold here in NH. It's not unusual to get 75 inches in the winter and well below zero, so that doesn't bother me (though I do not relish having it any worse than that.) We like smaller towns and rural areas. We don't care about schools or a lot of amenities (the town we live in now has apx. 13K and the closest "big" city (Concord) is an hour away and no easy way via highway. We will very much mourn our mountains, but like the idea of gaining a big lake.

Thanks again -- this is all very helpful. NH is still 85% forest, so we it sounds more like home than other places we've looked at (WY, KY, IA, MT.)

Old 06-19-2017, 08:02 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,663 times
I just heard from a neighbor with family in Ashland that property crime has been increasing and home/garage/car break-ins are becoming more frequent. The area is beautiful but the economy is not awesome up there and drug use has been increasing, hence the break-ins with desperate folks looking for cash and other valuables. Doesn't sound like an area I'd want to live. However, I'm not an expert on Ashland, so do your own due diligence about the area before committing.

As another poster has said, Ashland is rather remote and likely will be much tougher if/when you need to find a different job. Sheboygan would give you access to the Milwaukee metro to the south, which would provide a much better employment safety net, although that commute would stink, especially in winter.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:20 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I just heard from a neighbor with family in Ashland that property crime has been increasing and home/garage/car break-ins are becoming more frequent. The area is beautiful but the economy is not awesome up there and drug use has been increasing, hence the break-ins with desperate folks looking for cash and other valuables. Doesn't sound like an area I'd want to live. However, I'm not an expert on Ashland, so do your own due diligence about the area before committing.
The above can be a legit concern, though I would say it isnt unique to that area of the state. My hometown (small community central WI) is seeing a rise in drugs and crime that goes with it; and we've seen in our Madison area 'burbs a spike in it as well.

So I may be inclined to add, that yes due diligence should be a given but consider not only any crime concerns but also what is (or is not) being done to fix it. And that unfortunately can go for many locations.

Not saying this to promote Ashland as i have no reason to, in fact while i prefer not to live in any city i would not want to be that far from one. I'm just suggesting certain issues may be something to check into regardless of the zip code.

just my .02 of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin