U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2017, 03:39 PM

20 posts, read 7,409 times

Advertisements

My husband ( 24M) and I (21F) are considering moving to Appleton. We are both from Milwaukee and we've lived here our whole lives now we have both been outside of WI but basically were only familiar with Milwaukee cities. I have visted Oshkosh so I know how Northern Part feel smaller town I guess. My hisnad is sole provider at the moment and our main concern is job security and safety as we have a 8 month old daughter 1 year old at the time of move. I've visited Fox Valley Mall it was nice but that was really all Ive ever seen there. I have a few questions?

Husband is a very experienced line cook/chef whatever you prefer so he does plan on staying that field..How are the jobs out there?

Apartments? As we are just starting out our budget may be small to some but its whats is safest for us 650 highest 1 bedroom.

Lifestyle? Shopping? People? Best Neighborhoods?

Thank you in advance for responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 03:49 PM

7,430 posts, read 18,076,277 times
Appleton is a very nice city. It would be a good choice along with Neenah-Menasha. Little Chute, Combined Locks, Kaukauna Kimberley tend to be more industrial. I'm not a fan of Oshkosh, seems way to run-down for me.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:56 AM

263 posts, read 585,909 times
It's probably a good move because in terms of housing a dollar goes a lot further in Appleton than it would in Milwaukee, and the schools should be much better as well, when it gets to that point.

Economy is generally pretty good - biggest city in the area with a lot of restaurants around. Probably not hard to find work.

About the only bad things I'd say about it is that it tends to be right wing politically, though nowhere near as terrible as the Milwaukee suburbs. There's also paper mill stench in certain areas though it doesn't seem to be as vile as it used to be.

I'm sure it will have a small city vibe to it and sometimes that makes things difficult for outsiders. That probably depends on how anonymously you choose to live, whether it suits you or not.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:24 PM

30 posts, read 16,453 times
Actually, Appleton is about 50/50 politically. For every Republican, there is a Democrat. Plus Lawrence University is there, which brings a more liberal mentality.

There is lots of work in Appleton and the greater Fox Valley area, and most places are only about a 10 minutes drive. There are tons of restaurants so finding a job should be fairly easy. Also, the smell from the paper mills is stronger as you get closer to Kaukauna then Appleton. And the occasional smell in Neenah is not from paper mills, but from Neenah Foundry, a company that makes manhole covers.

It's not small town at all. Small town is Greenville. Because of Kimberly Clark and Bemis, it is quite a transient area with lots of transplants. Meeting people really isn't that difficult, especially if you have kids in school and/or work.

If you are a minority, Appleton is probably the most diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin