Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 12:02 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm from Chicago, and in a few years will be retiring. Thought I would like to live just south of the Wisconsin border, and then started looking at apartments online, that are just over the border, including Kenosha, Pleasant Prairie, Beloit, etc. and wow, you can get a really wonderful place for under $1,000. Comparable places in Illinois are like $1,500. I even see a lot of really nice places for $700 and $900.

I am thinking of moving then to Wisconsin. Is it too good to be true? I also have seen online some in Racine but that might be a little far.

I am not familiar with Wisconsin except for a few quick trips up there at times, and now I'm going to make some more trips up there to see.

Can you recommend anything for me in my search for a nice place to live in south eastern WI area? I was thinking I had to move all the way to Michigan to get a nice environment but now I see Wisconsin has a great environment too. I want to get out of Illinois, not very nice and cost of living is too high. But look at
Wisconsin wow! You get a lot for your money!

is the cost of living better, ie.. grocery, restaurant meals, shopping? Here in Illinois taxes are high like when you get the tax on a restaurant meal and gas is higher.

I see a lot of senior apartments, are they filled up or are they available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 01:17 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,889,700 times
Rental is fairly cheap in WI, so realistically you can get an apartment in a nice place for under $1000, even maybe as low as $700, not a huge stretch of imagination. Now, Kenosha and Racine has fairly high unemployment rate and they might be not your best places to have retirement (or maybe they are fine to you, IDK).

Old 10-02-2017, 06:41 PM

1,201 posts, read 617,736 times
Wisconsin does have lower sales tax. There is no tax on most food items. There are exemptions for candy, soda and the like. With property tax, it will depend on where you live, but it is relatively high. However, compared to Chicago, it is slightly lower when you compare the southeast counties to northeast Illinois. Wisconsin does have higher income tax. When comparing overall cost of living of let's say Milwaukee area vs Chicago area; Milwaukee is cheaper. Gas taxes are lower. They just changed car registration fees for hybrids/electric vehicles. They have to pay an extra $75-$100 per year.

Illinois doesn't charge state income tax on retirement income. Wisconsin does not tax social security income but does tax pensions.

Beloit isn't in southeast Wisconsin. It is in south central Wisconsin.

I'm not at retirement age, but I see senior apartment buildings advertising, so they should have vacancies.

I recommend you come up for a visit and see if you like the area. A lot of Illinoisians are crossing the border into Pleasant Prairie/Kenosha area.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Rental is fairly cheap in WI, so realistically you can get an apartment in a nice place for under $1000, even maybe as low as $700, not a huge stretch of imagination. Now, Kenosha and Racine has fairly high unemployment rate and they might be not your best places to have retirement (or maybe they are fine to you, IDK).

can you tell me why a high unemployment rate would make a city less desireable? do you mean more crime happens? I will be retiring so I wont have to worry about a job.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:29 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
I wouldn't move to Racine, as there is a fair amount of crime there. Pleasant Prairie would be my choice. Close enough to Milwaukee and Chicago, that you can choose which one to enjoy for the day.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:28 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,889,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
can you tell me why a high unemployment rate would make a city less desireable? do you mean more crime happens? I will be retiring so I wont have to worry about a job.
in my opinion -
1) higher crime
2) lower amount of money available to the town
3) less economic activity (economic activity tends to follow the money)

so, even if you don't care about a job, you might not want your neighbours to have none.

Although, who am I to teach a person who is a generation older than me. Maybe that won't be an issue for you at all.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:33 PM

346 posts, read 464,007 times
We can accept retired FIB's, but please keep the younger FIB's out!!!

Old 10-14-2017, 09:50 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt _farmer View Post
And FISHTAB'S!

Old 10-14-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt _farmer View Post
FIB? what does that mean?

dont worry, as for me im just a quiet person who loves nature.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:36 PM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Loving Nature/the outdoors and being a Packer fan since the Cardinals left town (1959), I retired from Chicagoland to WI last year. I'm homesteading, developing 40 ac 10 mi west of The Dells. There's a brand new apartment building on Main St in Reedsburg-- 2 BR, 2 bath, balcony, and utilities are included for $850/m just for perspective.

Your post gives me the impression you want to stay close to Chi, possibly to take advantage of activities/institutions only available in a metropolis? When was the last time you went to Orchestra Hall, The Field Museum, Sox Park, Lincoln Park Zoo, etc etc? Do you really need to be that close to Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin