U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 02:12 PM

9 posts, read 23,994 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have got an offer to work in CVS pharmacy in Racine, WI. Next week I have to move there. I don't know anything about this place. I appreciate all your inputs about this place. I am from INDIA (ASIA). I am moving from Columbia, MO. I studied my master's in MO. I need some information about safety, rentals etc. Please help.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 05:23 PM

2,745 posts, read 5,744,348 times
I think Racine is an old industrial town that is struggling to reinvent itself. In general, it is sort of viewed of as the sore thumb of Wisconsin. There is a lot of crime for a city its size and not much going on for it. The pros are it is diverse and near Milwaukee and Chicago. Rentals are not that great and somewhat expensive for what it is. Overall, drive around and you will be able to avoid the bad areas, and spot the good ones and choose where to live accordingly. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:23 PM

4 posts, read 16,169 times
Thats a pretty good sum up of Racine, I work there and would not live there.
Only thing I disagree with you on is it being the Armpit of Wisconsin,,, That would be Beloit!!! Racine comes in second!

Old 12-17-2006, 07:49 PM

HAHA ok, Racine and Beloit are probably the right and left armpits of Wisconsin, how is that?? Wisconsin is generally a nice state with good services, so to move to one of the few not so great places from out of state is definantly something most locals would be shocked by. Let us know if you have anymore specific questions.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:55 PM

36,415 posts, read 57,359,773 times
What's wrong with Beloit other than it being kind of small & boring and its unfortunate proximity to Rockford? It always seemed like an OK town to me -- not the kind of place where I look around and think "Oh boy, I'd just love to live here!" but it seems tidy enough... ?? I'd certainly rather live there than Crapcine...

Old 12-18-2006, 10:39 AM

I trained at a store in Beloit for a month. It is just an economically depressing town. Not many good jobs. No entertainment. Not very attractive. Higher crime. Not as clean as other nearby cities. A good comparison is Janesville-15 minutes away, a different world. Nice neighborhoods, happy residents, clean, lots of shopping and clinics...
Beloit certainly isn't the worst city to live in, but far from the best, much less in Wisconsin.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:59 PM

653 posts, read 2,493,013 times
The truth is this--Racine is a NASTY city. As is Kenosha. On the other hand, La Crosse is a gorgeous city, friendly people, little crime, liberal. Same for Eau Claire.Appleton has the potential to be nice, but needs leadership badly.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:53 PM

4 posts, read 16,169 times
Person for person, Kenosha is relatively a safe place to live, Even in the city proper there is usually not too many murders a year and never more than 10.
Kenosha has very very little ghetto compared to Racine. Eau Claire is great! My son goes to college there, my wife graduated college from there, we own land just outside of there and own a second house and 160 acres in Ladysmith. La Crosse, yep, another FINE town.
If I had my choice (which I do so thats why I am) I would move to the Eau Claire area. The buisness is booming and the crime is next to non-existent. Except for the small town Meth problem there is very little dangerous crimes there. The Fox valley area used to be my best choice but that area is starting to get to be over priced although it is still nice!
Nothing against south East Wi. money is good and there are plenty of crime free towns (Pleasant Prairie is one) decent public schools (actuallu great ones)

Last edited by Wolfie-in-Wisconsin; 12-27-2006 at 09:03 PM..

Old 01-30-2007, 12:24 PM

5 posts, read 34,393 times
We moved to Racine from MO too! Just about 6 months ago. It's not so bad.
Stay south. You can TOTALLY drive around & see where to or NOT to live.
BUT you've probably already done that, huh?
I was told that the people wouldn't like you if you aren't FROM Racine. But I haven't run into that AT ALL. Everyone is super nice & helpful.
Good Luck!
<brrrr its colder here than in MO>

Old 04-08-2007, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 16,126 times
I have probably been to Racine less then ten times – but have never had any problems – Racine does have a nice harbor area and also a nice downtown (but who shops downtown area any longer).

I disagree with the negative comment about Kenosha - I am from Illinois but I do visit Kenosha from time to time. Kenosha has made great strides in improving itself. Sure it does have a "bad" side (most larger towns do) but it also has a beautiful harbor, and I decent downtown. I’m not sure what Kenosha was like ten or so years ago but it seems to be improving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin