Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 10:46 AM

174 posts, read 232,089 times

Advertisements

UW had 750 million just sitting around which nobody knew of and UW Oshkosh tried some creative investing only to lose their proverbial butt and I don't see any lack of new buildings going up at UW Madison quite the contrary they seem to have more than enough money to go around. Its all how you use it. Illinois is a train wreck as is California and New York which are losing population pretty much more than anybody. They are killing people with taxes. I bought a dozen doughnuts while staying with friends in Illinois 25 miles from Chicago but still in Cook County and paid 10.5% in sales tax. Imagine if I had bought a car there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 11:43 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
^^^^ Great information. I went to UW a few yrs, and unfort some of my relatives live in the sinking ship called IL/ Chicagoland.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:52 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
This has been a fun, informstive post.

Thanks, everyone.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:44 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
And I've read that Walker is killing universities here in WI.
UWM has been recruiting students from Illinois, other states, and abroad because they pay out-of-state tuition, and that money helps a bit to make up for funds lost due to budget cuts and the in-state tuition freeze.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:46 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINH View Post
UW had 750 million just sitting around which nobody knew of and UW Oshkosh tried some creative investing only to lose their proverbial butt and I don't see any lack of new buildings going up at UW Madison quite the contrary they seem to have more than enough money to go around. Its all how you use it. Illinois is a train wreck as is California and New York which are losing population pretty much more than anybody. They are killing people with taxes. I bought a dozen doughnuts while staying with friends in Illinois 25 miles from Chicago but still in Cook County and paid 10.5% in sales tax. Imagine if I had bought a car there.
Madison does have money--they've been tapping private networks and alumni sources, and have been very successful.

The 750 million "just sitting around" was in fact mostly earmarked for specific projects. Funny how that message didn't get through.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:24 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
And I've read that Walker is killing universities here in WI.
Hardly a joke.

His (and others) disdain for people working in academia is noteworthy. Some of the structural/hiring/salary practices have made the UW-Madison (and system) a lot less attractive for the pipeline of candidates from the east coast (and elsewhere). Very sad.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:39 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINH View Post

No, not it isn't.
Universities can't spend money at their discretion.
Most of the money is tied up in endowments with strict gift terms.
Lots of times they have the money, and it can't even be spent so the money and the interest generated from it can't be spent at all because the gift terms are so restrictive.

And NY and CA are still two of the most desirable places to live. No lack of number of people trying to get there. The people leaving are those that can't compete and afford it, but they're being replaced by people who can.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:00 AM

512 posts, read 474,352 times
What WI republicans fail to fathom is that Milwaukee and Madison nearly subsidize the rest of the state, just like how the TC subsidize MN and Chicagoland subsidizes IL.

Last edited by InnovativeAmerican; 07-27-2018 at 12:29 PM..

Old 07-27-2018, 11:59 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
What WI republicans fail to fathom is that Milwaukee and Madison nearly subsidize the rest of the state, just like how the TC subsidize MN and Chicagoland subsidize IL.

Yeah, that's all over. The "liberal" cities economically support the more conservative suburban and rural areas, and the "liberal" states, like Massachusetts, economically support places like Alabama. It's been that was for ages, but instead of being thankful for the support, they just rail about what horrible places they are. Well, you're survival depends on those horrible places.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:12 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
What WI republicans fail to fathom is that Milwaukee and Madison nearly subsidize the rest of the state, just like how the TC subsidize MN and Chicagoland subsidize IL.

Yep.

Some background reading for folks unfamiliar with the situation in WI-

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-happened.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin