Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 07:24 PM

7,968 posts, read 10,534,749 times

Advertisements

I am coming to Wisconsin in about three weeks for a vacation and exploration trip. My son-in-law is a Wisconsin native and he and my daughter are going to move up there in the next year or two from here in North Carolina (to the Fox River Valley area). I will be retiring in the next two years and want to be in Wisconsin also, but I prefer to live in a rural, small town area, and I'm not sure what part/region of Wisconsin that would be.

I prefer wide open spaces, prairie grasses, farmland type areas.

I would appreciate any suggestions you could give me

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 08:47 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,982,654 times
If he is going to be in the Fox Cities I assume you want to be near him? if so then look at west of Lake Winnebago, quiet open gently rolling hills. Look at areas near Sherwood, Stockbridge, Chilton. Most of the southern 60% is farm type land except the southwest driftless area which is more of tall rolling hills and valleys and more forest land. Northern portion of the state is the "Northwoods" or "upnorth". Pretty much anything outside of any city is going to be farmland in this portion of the state. I really like the west of Lake Winnebago area since there isn't any big cities and traffic to or from bigger cities you won't get travel through traffic. It's a pretty quiet part of the state, no major highways until you get to 67 and 151 and 10.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:49 PM

Old 08-06-2018, 08:50 PM

As you can see Calumet County is dark green aka lots of cropland, it's a hidden gem if you are looking for farmland areas.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:41 AM

36 posts, read 53,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
If he is going to be in the Fox Cities I assume you want to be near him? if so then look at west of Lake Winnebago, quiet open gently rolling hills. Look at areas near Sherwood, Stockbridge, Chilton. Most of the southern 60% is farm type land except the southwest driftless area which is more of tall rolling hills and valleys and more forest land. Northern portion of the state is the "Northwoods" or "upnorth". Pretty much anything outside of any city is going to be farmland in this portion of the state. I really like the west of Lake Winnebago area since there isn't any big cities and traffic to or from bigger cities you won't get travel through traffic. It's a pretty quiet part of the state, no major highways until you get to 67 and 151 and 10.
I think you mean EAST of Lake Winnebago.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymdawg View Post
I think you mean EAST of Lake Winnebago.

Yes, thank you. Typo.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:39 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,749,804 times
Check out Marinette County... if you want really rural and small-town. And there are waterfalls all around and wide open spaces. I personally love it there.

Waupaca and the little town of Rural are nice areas, too. (Rural is one of the cutest places. If you get the chance, check it out while you're visiting.)

You might enjoy Omro, Winneconne, Berlin, Poy Sippi, Poygan, Borth, Wautoma, or Redgranite.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:16 PM

2,448 posts, read 881,125 times
You're not getting the best of advice here. You stated "prairie grasses and open spaces." The closest match is the area in southern Portage County/Southwestern Wood County, Western Waushara County. I've linked to a site you might find helpful: https://www.stevenspointarea.com/lis...rasslands/686/

Old 08-08-2018, 08:48 PM

7,968 posts, read 10,534,749 times
Wow, I appreciate the great response to my thread. I am checking out each and every one of your suggestions, sending for more information from the areas you have mentioned, and plotting my scouting trip to Wisconsin, which is just three weeks away.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, and for providing such well thought out and super helpful information.

The willingness of people to share and assist others is one reason I have been on this forum for 12 years!

Old 08-09-2018, 11:45 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,749,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Wow, I appreciate the great response to my thread. I am checking out each and every one of your suggestions, sending for more information from the areas you have mentioned, and plotting my scouting trip to Wisconsin, which is just three weeks away.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, and for providing such well thought out and super helpful information.

The willingness of people to share and assist others is one reason I have been on this forum for 12 years!
I hope you enjoy your upcoming trip! I think you will know which area feels right for you when you're here. It's hard to make a decision based only on statistics. Wishing you the best and I hope your decision is an easy one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin