U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 07:20 AM

3 posts, read 3,762 times

Advertisements

Hello, My Husband is transferring to WI from NC and we are trying to decide a safe/fun/good Schools...area to move to. We would want to stay within an hour to Milwaukee. Our kids are excited to move as we use to live in NH and they miss the snow. I have been researching towns and Hartland or Oconomowoc look like good areas and good schools. It worries me though because I notice neither town have much for rentals which is weird. I can only find 5 house rentals in each town, thinking I may need to contact a rental agent. Could you please help with which town you think may be better for new students, 15 and 12....they are not athletic but are very outgoing and are good students. We love restaurants, outdoor activities (winter and summer) and want to make sure we are in a safe area. Any thoughts would be great or if you think there is a better town we should look at. Thank you in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 02:51 PM

122 posts, read 118,041 times
I also used to live in NH and some days wish I still did but that option is not available. I live in Oconomowoc and the city and the surrounding Town of Oconomowoc, Town of Summit, Mapleton, Ashippun and Ixonia all comprise Oconomowoc for school purposes. I live in the Town of Oconomowoc but not much difference than Oconomowoc itself almost all one in the same. All of these areas including Hartland are very safe with very little crime. Harland is slightly more of an upscale area with very good schools. Oconomowoc schools are also good but their high school has a bit more emphasis on technical and arts but still good. Hartland is a more athletic school with outstanding facilities. Both areas have many many lakes surrounding them and lots of good restaurants with Delafield being right next to both. Many hiking and bike trails are in the area and good health options (Aurora has a huge complex in Oconomowoc/Summit) All three areas(Delafield included) have many festivals all year round and they are a pleasure to go to. Winter activities include snowmobiling, cross country skiing, snowshoeing. ice fishing, close enough to Milwaukee for Bucks games and Brewer games as well as many museums. You probably should check with an agent for housing as I am not that familiar with rentals. If you need any specific info you can always DM me. Good luck with your search.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:35 AM

WINH thank you!!! They both sound like great areas. I am thinking Onconomowoc may be better for the kids since they are not athletic and our Daughter loves theater. My Dad grew up in Kenosha so we have been to a lot of the WI State Fairs and have always had a great time. I will contact an agent for housing, it is weird there is not much listed for rent....hoping that means people really love it there and are not leaving.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:52 AM

Oconomowoc is a very nice area. No lack of shopping, restaurants, outdoor activities, festivals you name it all within the area or 20-30 minutes away. It is a growing area which may explain the lack of rentals but there is a lot of new home building, condos and apartments available. Oconomowoc schools are good they just don't put a major emphasis on athletics although their teams are pretty good despite. Arrowhead(Hartland) and Kettle Moraine(Delafield) are good schools also but just a bit more emphasis on athletics. Each area offers just a little different curriculum but still good. Oconomowoc does have a very good theater production many awards. I lived in WI for 30+ years and NH for about 23 and back to WI the last couple so would not have moved back if we did not like the area or people and we love both so again good luck in your search for housing and the offer for more specific info is still there.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:23 PM

346 posts, read 341,853 times
Having lived in both, Hartland is a wasteland! Zero to do for kids. ( I grew up there until college)

Oconomowoc, which is three or four times the size of Hartland, is head and shoulders above.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:34 PM

Thank you WINH!!
Wow, Dirt Farmer, I am surprised to hear that but good to know! Thank you!!

Old 09-28-2018, 07:23 PM

2,190 posts, read 1,843,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsinmove View Post
Hello, My Husband is transferring to WI from NC and we are trying to decide a safe/fun/good Schools...area to move to. We would want to stay within an hour to Milwaukee. Our kids are excited to move as we use to live in NH and they miss the snow. I have been researching towns and Hartland or Oconomowoc look like good areas and good schools. It worries me though because I notice neither town have much for rentals which is weird. I can only find 5 house rentals in each town, thinking I may need to contact a rental agent. Could you please help with which town you think may be better for new students, 15 and 12....they are not athletic but are very outgoing and are good students. We love restaurants, outdoor activities (winter and summer) and want to make sure we are in a safe area. Any thoughts would be great or if you think there is a better town we should look at. Thank you in advance!
Hi, welcome to Wisconsin. Both are fine towns. Both are suburban (well, maybe even rural at times). Wisconsin Real Estate is such that it makes sense to purchase a house rather than rent. That might be the reason why you don't have much rentals available. I suggest to look hard at the private sector which can be found at Craigslist for rentals and also to consider buying a house at the first convenience (but after the move).

Old 09-29-2018, 06:54 AM

40,248 posts, read 49,757,290 times
Oh gosh, I loved the Oconomowoc area for the year we lived there. The Oconomowoc Pick n Save is my favorite grocery store, ever, and the small mom and pop restaurants were very good.

I did not have kids in school there, so I can’t speak about the schools. I think you’ll like the vibes there.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:28 AM

5,336 posts, read 8,531,250 times
My company has asked me to relocate to Wisconsin, and I am looking at the Oconomowoc area.
A few local people have recommended Ixonia. Looking for opinions and advice.

Schools are not a consideration.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:49 AM

Ixonia is a decent place to live slightly cheaper than Oconomowoc but there is not a lot to do there. It is harder to get to a major road as quick as Oconomowoc. The bypass from Oconomowoc will get you to and from Ixonia but if you need to get to I-94 then it is a bit of a drive. Oconomowoc has or is near to just about anything you want and is a very safe community. The downtown is very vibrant and has the lakes to walk around or sit and enjoy. Good luck on your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or