U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2018, 09:08 AM

43 posts, read 445,118 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I was born and raised in Northern NY, but have spent the past 18 yrs. living in Kentucky. I have an extreme mold sensitivity that has rendered me nearly disabled for the past five years. Our house, yard, and pretty much the entire state, is riddled with the stuff thanks to the humid summers, wet winters, and poor construction practices. I need to get out of here to recover my health, but going back to NY isn't an option, so I thought I'd give Wisconsin a try. I feel much better when it's cold here, so my hope is that the long cold winters in Wisconsin will help me to reset myself. Right now I'm looking at the Stevens Point area, but am open to suggestions, of areas that may be better suited to our needs. I'd especially love to hear from some fellow mold sensitive people, on how good or bad Wisconsin is for this particular health issue.

My husband doesn't want to move, so it'll be just my kids and myself. We have a bit of money to live on for a while, but it won't last forever. I've been out of the job market for nearly 13yrs. and my kids are just finishing school( they're homeschooled), so they have little to no job experience. How hard would it be for us to find jobs, especially during the winter months?

Also, we have two dogs, one is a pit mix. Does anyone know if Stevens Point is pitbull friendly? I'd hate to get up there and find a job, only to be left out in the cold(literally), because we can't find housing.

Finally, I'm wondering when the really heavy snow starts to fly? Like I said, I'm no stranger to driving in the snow, and I do have a Subaru...but it's been a really long time since I've driven in any measurable amount of the white stuff. It's not so much of a concern for when we get there, but more for the trip up...I really hate city/highway driving, and having to contend with slippery roads, on top of it, scares me just a bit.

I know that there are many more questions that I probably need to ask, but I'll start with these for now. I'm open to, and appreciative of, any and all recommendations, information, and advice, on anything I may have failed to cover. Thanks in advance for the help!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 10:34 AM

38,460 posts, read 28,449,510 times
Why are you picking Stevens Point, first of all?

What are your job skills?

Old 10-19-2018, 04:04 PM

It probably sounds silly, but I follow a photographer that's based in the Northwoods. His photographs remind me of where I grew up in NY, and seeing those made me realize just how homesick I am for the woods. I could be wrong, but I'm assuming that the Northwoods is very much like NY's Adirondacks. A whole lot of beauty, and plenty of outdoor recreation, but not a lot of jobs. So I started looking for small towns/cities that would get us close, but would also afford my kids and I more job opportunities. Stevens Point seemed to be a good place to start my search.

Lower crime, and a better economy were also important factors in my choosing Stevens Point. The place we live now has a fairly high crime rate, and the economy is ok, but could be better. I'm only running on what data I can find, but Stevens Point appears to surpass our current city in both areas.

Stevens Point's proximity to Green Bay, and Madison, is another reason I thought it would be a good place to check out. I know they're not technically close, but it's nice to know that if we need something that only a bigger city can offer, we can get there in a reasonable amount of time.

As for work skills, I've done a bit of everything over the years. Retail, factory work, food service, catering, cleaning, delivery driver, and even loading chair lifts and T-bars at our local ski areas. Some of it was just grunt work, and some was supervisory, and admin. I moved around a lot, so what I did was dependent on what I could find in the area.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:27 PM

4,446 posts, read 1,710,762 times
Wi is at near full employment with many job openings. WI is #2 in the country in manufacturing ( behind IN), and of course if you want to milk cows, make cheese or dig potatoes, there's plenty of work

I'm a recent refugee here myself, having fled The Peoples' Democrat Republik of IL. I love the natural beauty and the abundant wild life here. The winters aren't really all that different than the Chicago area. Spring comes 2 weeks later and fall two weeks earlier- that's about it.

As far as mold goes, most people that have trouble with it have the trouble no matter where they go-- it's the mold in the house, not outside that bothers us. While it's a little colder and less humid than KY, it's still not AZ. You may still have problems.

The Driftless Area (from The Dells west to the Miss R) has a unique ecology, the beauty of hills & valleys and forests more of deciduous hardwoods than the conifers of the Northwoods. It's also much closer to Madison and the Dells offers all sorts of part time employment opportunities in the tourist season for students. It's the organic farming center of the state with several artists colonies.

Other areas to consider would include Green county ("Little Switzerland") at the middle of IL border- only 90 minutes from Chicago. And then there's the SE corner of the state (only 60 min from Chicago) where the new Foxconn complex will be going up and offering all sorts of employment opportunity.

There's an entertaining and informative public tv show that visits different WI towns each week https://wptschedule.org/series.php?SeriesID=1188 to give you a flavor of things here. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:58 PM

4,018 posts, read 2,838,457 times
Look at Wausau instead of SP. Why? Because there will be more sub-standard budget housing in SP with almost nine thousand UW-Stevens Point students in the area. Wages will be softer too in SP with so many part time inexperienced workers available. Wausau is larger and will have more to offer and still be ‘up north’.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:37 AM

510 posts, read 257,639 times
Stevens Point does have a lot of newer apartment complexes that have sprung up in the last few years. Lots of duplexes and other nicer places. The college kids tend to rent closer to UW and these are more outlying. Jobs are plentiful. Lands End has jobs all the time in Point. Look on Indeed for jobs. Schools are hiring classroom assistants.
I live right in between Stevens Point and Wausau. I worked in Stevens Point for 3 years and have spent the last 3 working in Wausau. Both are good places to live with lots of things going on. We tend to shop more in Point. The stores are closer together. In Wausau Fleet Farm in way north and Target way south of there. So we like the easy access in Point. And Bills Pizza is great.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:37 PM

Thanks so much, everyone, for all of the helpful advice, and information!

I never put Wausau on my list, because it was more populated than I'd like. But after hearing all the good things about it, and seeing how beautiful the area appears to be, we'll definitely be checking it out.

We're thinking of heading up for a scouting vacation, in a week or so. Does the area get much snow before Thanksgiving, or should we be pretty much in the clear, while we're there?

Old 10-28-2018, 09:22 AM

10,121 posts, read 8,782,923 times
If you're going to Stevens Point, you should figure snow. Its always a possibility after Nov. 1. However, Wis towns have the equipment to handle almost anything. Roads are typically cleared early. You might have to drive on a snow surface, but extra care should get you where you're going. Just remember to have in the car, heavy coats, gloves, hats, jumper cables, ice melting stuff, and a shovel.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:00 PM

401 posts, read 384,981 times
I grew up in Wisconsin Rapids and my parents owned a print shop in Plover, a bedroom community of Point. My wife and love Point for the reason you stated - it's small town Wisconsin. Yet, there are decent restaurants and shopping. We still go there for a weekend now and they just to hang out. If you walk or bike, check out the Green Circle loop around Point, Whiting and Plover.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:48 AM

5 posts, read 4,553 times
We moved to northern wi (Eagle River) from Iowa to heal from mold related health problems. The crops during harvest put so much mold in the air. And the toxic mold from our house caused me to develop serious ragweed allergies. The past two autumn seasons up here have been heavenly compared to Iowa.

Sure there is a lot of forest mold when you have forests, but that’s not the toxic kind and doesn’t seem to bother my allergies either. Humidity is very low in the summer compared to other places I have lived.
We have been here for almost two years and my health has improved greatly. It was definitely the the right move.
At my current state of sensitivity, I feel like things start to go downhill for me when I get further south than Wausau, especially during certain times of the year.
I have only been to Stevens Point once, but it seemed nice.
Wausau has a lot of newer stores that are not moldy so I am able to shop pretty much wherever I need to when we head to Wausau. The Target is very old and not updated, so I’m not sure how I feel about it’s mold status. I don’t go there often.
Be sure to do an ERMI test on whatever house you plan to move to. (If you don’t know about these- you collect dust with a swiffer from settled dust around the home and send it to Mycometrics Lab and they ID and count the mold spores and give you a report) it’s so much more accurate than an air test for mold.
If you want to experience the most amazing air in the Midwest, go to Bayfield, WI, it’s on Lake Superior. When I go there I never want to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or