U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 06:46 PM

7 posts, read 5,205 times

Advertisements

Hello
My husband and I are wanting to start over, hopefully some where better. We love the look of Wisconsin, the nature, the weather lol. We want to be somewhere where we can earn a living wage. Where we are now, we are barley getting by. I mainly work in retail: gas stations, small stores. My husband does amazing at food manufacturing. There is just nothing where we are that we can survive on. The rent here is outrageously high. We just want to be happy, healthy, and able to take care of ourselves. We were looking into Eua Claire, but found out its a college town and the cheaper apartments are for students. We just need some advice and input from people who live and work anywhere near there. My husband wouldn't mind traveling to Minneapolis for work. We are hoping to find something 700 a month or less. We are wanting to move there around April or May. Just need ideas from good people. Thank yall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 07:09 PM

8,107 posts, read 20,355,056 times
I like the small town of Menomonie WI although kinda a small town with a dash of college kids. I really liked the feel of the town.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:57 PM

608 posts, read 732,924 times
River Falls or Hudson types and get good jobs in the city. Easy commutes.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:13 PM

638 posts, read 1,483,998 times
I would imagine a commute from Eau Claire to Minneapolis would get old pretty quick, especially in the winter. I agree with looking somewhere near Hudson if you want to commute.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:55 PM

4,039 posts, read 1,579,293 times
https://www.pbs.org/show/around-corner-john-mcgivern/ Each episode gives an informative look at another WI town. 100 episodes. Take your choice. Good luck.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:55 PM

1,878 posts, read 3,892,410 times
I moved back here to my homestate of Wisconsin after living 15 years in Montana. I have been back here for over eight years now. Most of the past eight years was spent in my old hometown Upnorth, but in the past year, life has taken me to Eau Claire. It's beautiful, has a wonderful arts scene, but I don't care for it.

Reasons:

1.) I'm over college towns. It's not the first one I have lived in, either. As with all college towns, kids can't drive, and they seem to be full of older adults who think their you-know-what doesn't stink. (And their kids' you-know-what doesn't stink.)

2.) To elaborate on the driving thing, young people are in such a damn hurry here. Have had too many near misses for comfort (meaning near collisions, etc.) Whomever designed the roads was not a fan of the grid system either. Endless array of odd winding neighborhoods, weird and winding parking lots.

3.) The town doesn't seem to have much of a soul....? If that makes sense. That is odd, again, given the rich art scene and access to culture.

These are only my own opinions. As lovely as it is, it's just not for me. It just boils down to a vibe. I haven't been able to fall in love with it. I have a little bit of lease left and I will be leaving... most likely out of state again. A couple of different prospects are on the table - a neighboring state and one further away. Nothing against Wisconsin, I love it. My life circumstances are just taking me away, and I'm up for the adventure and change. ✌��

Old 05-14-2019, 06:55 AM

207 posts, read 174,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPLove View Post
I moved back here to my homestate of Wisconsin after living 15 years in Montana. I have been back here for over eight years now. Most of the past eight years was spent in my old hometown Upnorth, but in the past year, life has taken me to Eau Claire. It's beautiful, has a wonderful arts scene, but I don't care for it.

Reasons:

1.) I'm over college towns. It's not the first one I have lived in, either. As with all college towns, kids can't drive, and they seem to be full of older adults who think their you-know-what doesn't stink. (And their kids' you-know-what doesn't stink.)

2.) To elaborate on the driving thing, young people are in such a damn hurry here. Have had too many near misses for comfort (meaning near collisions, etc.) Whomever designed the roads was not a fan of the grid system either. Endless array of odd winding neighborhoods, weird and winding parking lots.

3.) The town doesn't seem to have much of a soul....? If that makes sense. That is odd, again, given the rich art scene and access to culture.

These are only my own opinions. As lovely as it is, it's just not for me. It just boils down to a vibe. I haven't been able to fall in love with it. I have a little bit of lease left and I will be leaving... most likely out of state again. A couple of different prospects are on the table - a neighboring state and one further away. Nothing against Wisconsin, I love it. My life circumstances are just taking me away, and I'm up for the adventure and change. ✌��

Where were you at in Montana? I came back from the Flathead Valley in 2016 after 12 years. So much nicer here and WAAAY better cost of living!!

Old 05-14-2019, 06:59 AM

207 posts, read 174,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla1992 View Post
Hello
My husband and I are wanting to start over, hopefully some where better. We love the look of Wisconsin, the nature, the weather lol. We want to be somewhere where we can earn a living wage. Where we are now, we are barley getting by. I mainly work in retail: gas stations, small stores. My husband does amazing at food manufacturing. There is just nothing where we are that we can survive on. The rent here is outrageously high. We just want to be happy, healthy, and able to take care of ourselves. We were looking into Eua Claire, but found out its a college town and the cheaper apartments are for students. We just need some advice and input from people who live and work anywhere near there. My husband wouldn't mind traveling to Minneapolis for work. We are hoping to find something 700 a month or less. We are wanting to move there around April or May. Just need ideas from good people. Thank yall

Kayla,

If you haven't moved yet the job opportunities in the Northwoods abound. Hell Menards pays $15 an hour in the summer ($12 in the winter) if your willing to take a weekend once in a while. Cabin cleaners make $20-$25 an hour part time. Biggest thing here is saving your $$$ through the summer to make it in the winter but very doable. Your rent price requirements are doable as well....

Old 05-17-2019, 12:41 PM

4,867 posts, read 3,047,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPLove View Post
I moved back here to my homestate of Wisconsin after living 15 years in Montana. �
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
Where were you at in Montana? I came back from the Flathead Valley in 2016 after 12 years. So much nicer here and WAAAY better cost of living!!
Weird. I spent 5 years in Butte (MT Tech) and 5 years in Helena. Hubby went to UM. Moved to WI in 2017. I don't think I ever met a Wisconsinite while living in MT (though loads of Minnesotans) but there are three of us here on C-D . We should start our own club.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:21 AM

1,878 posts, read 3,892,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Weird. I spent 5 years in Butte (MT Tech) and 5 years in Helena. Hubby went to UM. Moved to WI in 2017. I don't think I ever met a Wisconsinite while living in MT (though loads of Minnesotans) but there are three of us here on C-D . We should start our own club.
Lived in Great Falls for a rough total of 15 years.
Luckily, my family who lived there has how relocated down to sunny Florida, so my dream has come true and I literally have no reason to ever return.

It's a nice place to drive through. Very cool and beautiful scenery in some parts, a chance to stop and get some Taco Treat if you are in a few cities, some Feedlot food if you are in Great Falls (I do miss that), see a few sights, national parks....and then KEEP DRIVING. lol

I don't remember if I ever met a Wisconsinite or not, but I remember wearing a Minnesota Timberwolves t-shirt once and a couple people chuckling at it because, who on Earth roots for the Minnesota Timberwolves around there? lol (I don't, the shirt was given to me by a family member.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin