U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 03:04 PM

4,022 posts, read 2,741,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzadmiral View Post
One of the Realtor.com listings for a condo said the condo fee was $180 a month. That still is cheaper than the extortion I see around here. "HOA fee" is not necessarily the same thing as "condo fee," is it?
It often refers to the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 03:26 PM

2,573 posts, read 947,837 times
I lived in Wisconsin for many years and there are many beautiful places.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:46 PM

4,022 posts, read 2,741,509 times
To the OP:

Keep in mind that HOA/condo fees can vary wildly, especially compared to property taxes.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:20 AM

487 posts, read 213,999 times
The only downside to the Fox Valley area is the internet. Speeds are around 50MB download/ 5MB upload. The 300MB internet stops in Oshkosh I think. As I understand it, Door County on the west shore also has 300MB internet. There was a government grant about ten years ago that allowed for the roll-out of GB internet in tourist areas, so you end up with middle-of-nowhere places having better internet than the major metro areas; Eagle River, Cable, Wisconsin Rapids, and Madeline Island for example. (https://www2.ntia.doc.gov/wisconsin)

This will give you a very general idea of internet speeds in Wisconsin.
https://broadbandnow.com/Wisconsin

I escaped from a major metro area in Illinois. Other than the internet, I love living here. However, the wife and I are home-bodies most the winter. She likes to go to the shows at the Performing Arts Center. I am more of a parks and recreation kind of guy; lots of trails to ride my bike on and a big lake to paddle my kayak around in.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:18 PM

61 posts, read 20,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
The only downside to the Fox Valley area is the internet. Speeds are around 50MB download/ 5MB upload. The 300MB internet stops in Oshkosh I think. As I understand it, Door County on the west shore also has 300MB internet. There was a government grant about ten years ago that allowed for the roll-out of GB internet in tourist areas, so you end up with middle-of-nowhere places having better internet than the major metro areas; Eagle River, Cable, Wisconsin Rapids, and Madeline Island for example. (https://www2.ntia.doc.gov/wisconsin)

This will give you a very general idea of internet speeds in Wisconsin.
https://broadbandnow.com/Wisconsin

I escaped from a major metro area in Illinois. Other than the internet, I love living here. However, the wife and I are home-bodies most the winter. She likes to go to the shows at the Performing Arts Center. I am more of a parks and recreation kind of guy; lots of trails to ride my bike on and a big lake to paddle my kayak around in.
CtrlEsc, I took a look at that site. It seems to indicate that Appleton and Neenah, to take two examples, have providers (Spectrum and AT&T) with their fastest speeds at 100Mbps. (There are two providers with 1000, but they have very little coverage in those cities.) So you're saying that the 100 is hard to come by, depending on your location, and it's more likely to be 50? Heck, the part of N.O. where I live now offers 100-300.

Oshkosh's fastest seems to be Spectrum, with 400.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:25 PM
sub

1,773 posts, read 769,889 times
Spectrum in some Wisconsin cities offer 200-400-960 depending on what you’re willing to pay.

Old 09-14-2019, 05:49 AM

487 posts, read 213,999 times
I get offers from Spectrum (Comcast/TimeWarner) for 100MB but when I call and ask, the max for my neighborhood is 50MB. The customers with 1GB are most likely the universities or businesses that pay for it.

From what I understand, the FCC was subsidizing the roll-out of wired internet to ensure everyone had broadband but then the 5G revolution came along and they stopped subsidizing wired internet. So expansion of wired networks is really focused on where the providers can maximize their customer base.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:36 AM

3,893 posts, read 9,331,280 times
For what it’s worth, awhile back our Spectrum net went from 100-200 and i wasn't aware. No add’l fees for it but when I was told I had that ability and my speed tests were much lower..... well i found out my own router was not capable.
So guess for any provider, make sure the router being used can support the speeds offered. I currently use Google Mesh to cover all rooms/levels and have been over 200 on tests.

Just an fyi, sorry for the side track

Old 09-15-2019, 06:31 AM

9,932 posts, read 8,605,030 times
I have Spectrum 100 mbs, and its plenty for 3 of us. Icould have bought 300 or 900 also. I'm in a small town in Fox Valley area.

Btw, we are originally from Wi, but lived out of state during most of our working years. Lived in Tx for 19 of those, so I know what OP is talking about. I believe he'd be very happy here.

Many homes have central air, even this far north, but a window unit or two can get you through the summer.

The only caution I have for people from the south is that Wi doesn't have a lot of bright sunny days, especially around Feb and March. It can get depressing, but months of constant heat can do the same. I agree with op, cold AC blowing on you for months at a time is worse than the heat running. You get chilled a lot.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:27 AM

8,107 posts, read 20,338,997 times
I have spectrum and pay $69.69 a month or 836.28 a year or $8,362.28 for 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin