Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 10:45 AM

4 posts, read 4,767 times

Advertisements

Hello, currently in western Kenosha County, looking to move to the Northwoods in the next few years. Work from home in tech, so can really live anywhere. Prefer rural living with private land with access to a town when needed for groceries, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 05:45 AM

26,377 posts, read 46,260,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkeyPuzzled View Post
Hello, currently in western Kenosha County, looking to move to the Northwoods in the next few years. Work from home in tech, so can really live anywhere. Prefer rural living with private land with access to a town when needed for groceries, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Do you prefer to be closer to Lake Superior or inland lakes? Rural areas with few tourists or more tourists? Price point and access to Duluth a factor?

Old 07-10-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Do you prefer to be closer to Lake Superior or inland lakes? Rural areas with few tourists or more tourists? Price point and access to Duluth a factor?
All good points! Inland lakes/Rural, less tourists/price probably up to 300+-K, with a few acres/Duluth is nice, but not crucial to be close to. Starting to look at Sawyer County.

Old 07-10-2020, 02:36 PM

26,377 posts, read 46,260,872 times
Quote:
All good points! Inland lakes/Rural, less tourists/price probably up to 300+-K, with a few acres/Duluth is nice, but not crucial to be close to. Starting to look at Sawyer County.
That is more of a resort/recreation/retiree area lots of nice lakes, tending to draw from the Twin Cities crowd a bit more. It is more touristy, but not as much as Oneida or Vilas counties from the Chicagoland/Milwaukee city crowds in the summer. Another area to look at is Bayfield County, it is a nice area as well.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is more of a resort/recreation/retiree area lots of nice lakes, tending to draw from the Twin Cities crowd a bit more. It is more touristy, but not as much as Oneida or Vilas counties from the Chicagoland/Milwaukee city crowds in the summer. Another area to look at is Bayfield County, it is a nice area as well.
Many thanks. Bayfield County looks amazing also.

Old 07-11-2020, 05:57 PM

3,810 posts, read 6,399,046 times
It's not northwest WI or the deep northwoods per se, but whenever we visit our family in Michigan we always drive through Shawano County northwest of Green Bay and we really love that area.....especially the town of Shawano with their picturesque downtown and that really nice, giant lake they have on the east side. One of the most quintessential-type upper Midwestern communities I've ever been in and the surrounding countryside is just beautiful. I always told my wife if we ever moved to Wisconsin I would want a couple acres just outside of Shawano. I could see us living there for sure. You could have your peaceful, rural northern (I guess it might even be considered more central) WI setting and still have a lot of the basic stores and eateries down the road. Green Bay isn't far away at all for stuff as well. Also have quicker access to the more heavily populated areas of WI if you ever need it from there than you would if you settled down in points north and/or west.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 07-11-2020 at 06:36 PM..

Old 07-12-2020, 11:55 PM

2,448 posts, read 882,648 times
Quote:
Just throwing this out there, but Rice Lake is near where you're looking and isn't particularly touristy. Nice little town.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:19 AM

888 posts, read 647,822 times
I think you should also consider the Rhinelander area. Rhinelander offers the shopping you might need. Outside of town lots of lakes.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:29 PM

1,081 posts, read 543,412 times
You might want to check the internet situation. Many areas of rural Wisconsin are devoid of broadband internet. There are some remote areas where fiber was put in using a federal grant to draw more tourist activity. So some unexpected outliers are Eagle River, Cable, Cornucopia, and La Pointe. They have fiber. (I am a bit dismayed that a remote island has better internet than I do in East Central Wisconsin.)

https://broadbandmap.fcc.gov/

You can search by address. Just remember that service availability can be vastly different from one side of the road to the other side.

My pick would be Arbor Vitae, WI due to the availability of shopping and medical services.

For the hermit-life, La Pointe, WI (Madeline Island) would be a close second.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:53 PM

48 posts, read 117,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
You might want to check the internet situation. Many areas of rural Wisconsin are devoid of broadband internet. There are some remote areas where fiber was put in using a federal grant to draw more tourist activity. So some unexpected outliers are Eagle River, Cable, Cornucopia, and La Pointe. They have fiber. (I am a bit dismayed that a remote island has better internet than I do in East Central Wisconsin.)

https://broadbandmap.fcc.gov/

You can search by address. Just remember that service availability can be vastly different from one side of the road to the other side.

My pick would be Arbor Vitae, WI due to the availability of shopping and medical services.

For the hermit-life, La Pointe, WI (Madeline Island) would be a close second.

------

This is a good point - the broadband struggle is real in northern WI. I moved away, and when i go back to visit family I am STILL shocked that half the time it's impossible to watch Netflix.

I love LaPointe/the Island but it's really expensive, both the actual housing and the property taxes. Cornucopia and Cable and nice, friendly places if you want to be that far north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin