U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:04 PM

23 posts, read 65,761 times

Advertisements

Who has lived in Appleton, or lives there now? What is it like?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 11:41 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,316,372 times
I lived there for a couple years in the late nineties. My husband grew up there. We are small town people, so for us its a great place to visit, but not a place the raise our family. Loud bar scene downtown, tons of chain and big-box stores, a slightly upscale mall. Lots of traffic, lots of capitalism. But also a lot of great resturants. I really love the renovated Children's Museum. Not much help, but like I said, for the last eight years, I have only visited while at my mom-in-law's. If you have specific questions, I might be able to answer them.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:42 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,312,079 times
I've lived here for 7 years or so. I suppose if you're used to living in a town of 500 people you might find the traffic to be a bit thick, but in reality it is very light. There's just a couple of major roads that get pretty packed (and by the mall on the weekends it is pretty thick) and everything else is easy going. Nearly all of the chain restaraunts (I do not like) are outside of city limits and in the townships (such as Grand Chute, on the northeast side).

Personally I think the area overall is too sprawled out and I'd like to see more actual business come to the downtown area. Y'know, like a real city. By business, I mean office space. Plenty of shops and restaraunts in the downtown area. For instance the old AAL office building on College Ave (now called the 222) building sold for a paltry $5 million recently. It sat on the market forever. It's got a total of 14 floors and less than half are being used, to my knowledge. We should build a real convention center, there's been a smidge of talk about that but nothing done.

But it's a safe city, mostly clean and free of riff-raff, besides the hellish winters there's stuff to do like... there's a great comedy club, a very nice performing arts center, lots of good not-chain restaraunts, if you like bar hopping we've got more of those than Madison, the mall is very good, the children's museum is great, there's a farmer's market on saturdays on college ave, there's lots of parking ramps downtown so parking is never an issue.

So, it's not so bad here. Except for winter.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:23 PM

Come on, winter in Appleton really isn't bad, relative to many other places just a short drive north!! Some winters you are lucky to have more than 1 1/2 months of real snow.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:57 PM

it stays at or near 0F for a long friggin time around here. it absolutely sucks. i have nothing nice to say about winter, especially here.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:18 PM

It could be -20 for a month at a time or snow more than 300 inches a year. Lived in places that did.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:08 PM

38,704 posts, read 93,639,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
It could be -20 for a month at a time or snow more than 300 inches a year. Lived in places that did.
The fact that there are places where winter is in the 98th percentile of awfulness doesn't make it any more bearable in places where it is in the 95th percentile of awfulness...

Old 05-05-2008, 09:25 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself, Drover. Someone else's -20F doesn't change the fact that my car season is a paltry 4 months long

Old 05-05-2008, 11:27 AM

342 posts, read 1,697,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubuquer1 View Post
Who has lived in Appleton, or lives there now? What is it like?
Yes, we lived there for 3 years. Moved in 2004. I still miss it. I must disagree with whoever said it is not a great place to raise a family. It is a wonderful area, and extremely safe. There is so much to do as a family or if you are single. The people are some of the most friendly we have ever encountered. The winters are cold, but the 3 years we were there, there was not a lot of snow. So, to sum up Appleton, a great place to live. In fact it is one place that we would move back to if we could.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:07 AM

I didn't mean that it isn't a good place to raise kids; I just meant it isn't the type of place we want to raise our kids. We just have ideologies that don't mesh well with the over feel of Appleton. By the way, my husband grew up in Appleton, so we have a knowledge of what we want and if the city can actually provide that. Like I said, we are small town people. I mean small. Really, really small (we are super excited at the possibility of a job in a town of 700).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin