Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 11:41 PM

5 posts, read 8,235 times

Advertisements

Hey Ya'll,

I'm moving from the Pacific Northwest to a suburban area of Green Bay soon. I'd love to hear any recommendations for restaurants the locals love! What would be favorite places I should absolutely see and do? And are there any areas I should NOT go to especially alone. Every city has the less safe areas. But I'm pretty adventurous and have been nomadic all through the West coast so now looking forward to meeting new friends in the beautiful state of Wisconsin!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 05:30 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,281,640 times
Hi Leslie,

I'm not from Green Bay, and I only get over there maybe once per year, so I don't have very many recs. But I do have a few.

Kroll's (east and west locations) is a longtime, popular, and beloved burger place. It gets super crowded on game days, so plan accordingly.

https://www.krollseast.com/
https://www.krollswest.com/menu/

Angelina is a popular Italian restaurant in the area:

https://www.angelinagb.com/

There are a few wine bars and upscale restaurants downtown and in the suburbs, but one of my favorite places is an upscale restaurant/brewery named Hinterland:

https://hinterlandbeer.com/

When I go to Green Bay, it's usually to visit the UW-Green Bay campus (a very green and lush campus), but it's adjacent to the Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary, which is a good place for nature walks. Green Bay is a smallish city, so access to green spaces surrounding the area is pretty easy.

Door County (a resort/vacation area) is a short drive from Green Bay, and it makes a good day trip during the warmer months. It gets really crowded and touristed during the summer, though, so I recommend going in spring (before Memorial Day) and in fall (after Labor Day). There are some nice small towns with shops and eateries, roadway market stands, various state parks and other green spaces, lighthouses galore, etc.

Sorry I can't provide a local's perspective, but maybe someone will eventually jump on here and do so.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:25 AM

Default Thanks!

You gave me a great start of places to go see and do! I appreciate it! I'm looking forward to a new start!

Old 12-13-2021, 08:21 AM

4,611 posts, read 3,156,420 times
Leslie Smith, good morning,

You can definitely count on good ideas from Empidonax. Plus, Empidonax has good taste in fine wines (and better be reading this, because they owe me one!!!!!). LOL

I am a Milwaukee guy that knows more about Illinois than my own State, I think!!!!

So I know ONE thing about Green Bay, and that is they (along with Janesville) are the only 2 Wisconsin sites for a GREAT steak place called Prime Quarter Steakhouse (we used to have 2 in my city of Milwaukee, years ago).

If you ever come through Milwaukee, a wine may be had at Groppi's Deli (is that RIGHT, Empidonax?!?)

Old 12-13-2021, 09:23 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,181,862 times
Much of Door county is shuttered for winter, but there are still many places open, and the parks are year round. I don't have hard numbers but I think half the hotel capacity is closed seasonally.

Try a winter festival.

Some info here: https://doorcountypulse.com

In summer you can just wander anywhere and never be far from something. In winter you might want to pan a bit.

Lake Michigan shore communities south of Door, like Algoma Kewaunee, Two Rivers, Manitowoc. are smaller draws but have nice things to offer.

Check the weather conditions cam.algomafishing.com

search door county tourism to make your head spin

Old 12-14-2021, 01:10 AM

Some of the BEST steaks EVER were in Canada! I spent time in Kincardine and it had some killer restaurants! I'm looking forward to looking up the Prime Quarter Steakhouse

One of the best parts of moving to a new state is checking out the restaurants, lol. I am looking forward to summer up there as well. I'm not there yet and it seems like it is getting more challenging by the month to get there during the winter months but I'm still moving forward.

I just love looking at tourism sites. Cracks me up that every one makes their town, county or whatever look like the next UTOPIA. But with all places it is a little bit of everything both good and bad.LOL

And Milwaukee is just a short ride from Green Bay (in the better weather).

Can't wait to see Lake Michigan in the spring!!

Old 12-14-2021, 08:18 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,281,640 times
Leslie, another thing to consider is that Green Bay isn't too terribly far from the Fox Valley cities-- Appleton, Neenah, Oshkosh, etc. Appleton is a particularly nice city with an interesting downtown, Lawrence University, etc., and I like Neenah quite a bit, too. Oshkosh is a bit grittier, but UW-Oshkosh keeps it interesting.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:38 AM

4,611 posts, read 3,156,420 times
Empidonax, once again, Sir, you are correct!

Remember I am the Milwaukee guy that RARELY travels north or west! (if I go east I'd be wet).

That said, I do love Appleton. It is one of the only cities in the whole State of Wisconsin to have a Korean restaurant (and truthfully it is not saying much, as it is more of a fusion/bistro-style Korean restaurant).

Again, THIS is why I go to Chicago, where you find countless Korean restaurants and they are VERY GOOD!!!!

Empidonax or Leslie Smith or whomever, if you ever need a tour guide in Chicago, count on me!

Old 12-15-2021, 01:06 AM

Chicago is definitely a foodies dream!! I haven't been there in years but I'll never forget Uno pizza... in the basement and deep dish to die for.... YUM. If I get there I'll look for a tour guide but you can bet it won't be till spring, lol.

I do love charming downtowns of small towns or cities. Especially old history and great architecture! I had hopes of searching out western Canada last year but got waylaid. Now it appears they are struggling with their own natural disasters and flooding. So I am redirecting to areas I've never been. Thanks so much for the awesome suggestions! Fox Valley cities sounds like a fun area to investigate. University areas always have some colorful cafes, boutiques and unique areas since it brings diversity to the area. I'll remember to keep my distance from OshKosh! Thanks for the heads up.

Years ago I flew into Chicago and rented a car, mind you my kids were young and with me but we were on a journey... of sorts. We ended up in the WORST part of town, at midnight... and there was no doubt that we had an angel watching for us... I mean we were sitting ducks in drug town. Road construction made it worse. So glad I can laugh about it now but I hope the kids forgot about that oops. Stuff happens.

Thanks so much for the awesome suggestions! I know this might be a little out there but if anyone knows of horse drawn sleigh rides that would be SOO awesome. Probably wishful thinking but thought I'd ask

Old 12-15-2021, 07:44 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,181,862 times
Actually there was a place not too far from Oshkosh decades ago that had winter horse activities. We did a company holiday event there but I can't recall the details. I wouldn't be afraid of Oshkosh. I found them to be very friendly and a big college town. Not much of a tourist place admittedly but a good example of Wisconsin and it's history. Lumber in particular. Some culture ie. Paine Art Center and Gardens Lots of fishing. Big lake and river system. Water stuff open or frozen. I have had more than my fair share of Uno but feel little desire to breath the air in the Chicago metro area again, let alone drive the streets. It is such a bummer driving into that haze. You shouldn't be able to 'see' the air. If they wanted to bury me there I wouldn't go to my own funeral You can get their za frozen at groceries sold under the Due name. You just don't have as many options on how to order it and don't get the salad with too much red wine on it. What I miss most is the good Greek and real Mexican places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin