Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:58 PM

357 posts, read 1,455,718 times

Advertisements

i know racine is a bit bigger and has more homicides, but do the cities feel any differant? in architecture, planning, culture, store types, general vibe???

where i live there are two cities of similar size that are close together, but one has more industry and its buildings are more plain-looking and utilitarian. the other city is more victorian in its past architecture and is more upscale, ie-more boutiques, white collar offices, etc.....are kenosha and racine anything like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 05:02 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,084,899 times
I know that Kenosha is growing population-wise and Racine has had a decrease in population.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:33 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,029,891 times
Although Kenosha might have grown while Racine has not, thats just because Kenosha is closer to the rest of Chicagoland, and thus has become more of a less expensive option to many Lake County, IL towns.

However, personally I think Racine is nicer. I think Racine seems a little more vibrant, a little more things to do, and generally more upscale and white collared. (SC Johnson headquarters, maybe a couple others.

Kenosha on the other seems more blue collared, industrial, and comparitively "rustbelty" (if thats a word). (Power plants, auto factories?)

Not to rip on Kenosha, they have parks and mansions, etc.

At least thats my observations having gone through those towns.

Anyone care to agree/disagree?

Old 07-28-2008, 06:35 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,029,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
i know racine is a bit bigger and has more homicides, but do the cities feel any differant? in architecture, planning, culture, store types, general vibe???

where i live there are two cities of similar size that are close together, but one has more industry and its buildings are more plain-looking and utilitarian. the other city is more victorian in its past architecture and is more upscale, ie-more boutiques, white collar offices, etc.....are kenosha and racine anything like this?
As my post said:

Yes, Kenosha is the more industrial/plain looking one.
Racein the more Victorian boutique and upscale one.

The difference isn't THAT striking but it is there.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:43 PM

Wow, few comments about Kenosha.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:46 AM

36 posts, read 197,654 times
[SIZE=3]I would disagree with the previous posts. Racine would be the more blue-collared city instead of Kenosha. Racine is one of two cities in Wisconsin with actually hard-core inner city. Racine traditionally has had the largest Danish community in the United States along with many Germans, blacks and hispanics. Kenosha was mostly an Italian, German, and Polish city with a new influx of people from Lake country and some Hispanics. Kenosha does have a small bad area that people fom their call the ghetto even though its not even 5 blocks long and isnt really that dangerous.[/SIZE]

Old 09-22-2008, 09:03 PM

11 posts, read 92,760 times
I prefer Racine, however I may be biased being a former resident of Racine. My reason is due to diversity. It's considerably more diverse than Kenosha. As said in some earlier posts, Kenosha has seen a growth spurt making the city larger than Racine. However the Racine metro area is the larger of the two as Racinians have moved out to Mt. Pleasant and Caledonia (both towns approximately 25,000 people). Kenosha has become a northern anchor for the Chicago metro area which has been a cause for growth. Racine is/was historically an industrial city trying to reinvent itself.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:58 PM

One thing that is getting to me is that there are so many thing known about Racine(and more so for Milwaukee), but relatively, less is known about Kenosha. Kenosha doesn't come off(to me) as a bad place from what some of the forums say, at the same time, it is like Kenosha is some kind of jaded secret or a place that alot of people know very little about(or will speak of). Why is that?

Old 02-15-2009, 10:17 AM

19 posts, read 90,317 times
Don't know where to start. Kenosha has a larger population than Racine. Growing up it was the opposite. Racine has a higher crime rate than Kenosha. Growing up in Racine I experienced many diversed cuisines, My favorite pizza was from Durangos on Douglas Ave. And the best kringle was O and H. also on Douglas Ave. (can you tell I was a north sider?) Racine's metro area includes Mt Pleasant, Calendonia, West Racine, and Wind Point to name a few. Both Kenosha and Racine border Lake Michigan. Kenosha has great sport fishing and is close to many fun activities. Including closer to Chicago. Great festivals, the Renaissance Faire (Bristol) and great shopping. Racine offers a historcal museum downtown, a zoo, art museum (Wustum). Kenosha to me seems to be a cleaner city than Racine. As noted in a earlier post Racine does have a true Inner city. If one is deciding to move to either Kenosha or Racine...Being from Racine I would still pick Kenosha as the city to move to.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 6,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJZ 91 View Post
[SIZE=3]I would disagree with the previous posts. Racine would be the more blue-collared city instead of Kenosha. Racine is one of two cities in Wisconsin with actually hard-core inner city. Racine traditionally has had the largest Danish community in the United States along with many Germans, blacks and hispanics. Kenosha was mostly an Italian, German, and Polish city with a new influx of people from Lake country and some Hispanics. Kenosha does have a small bad area that people fom their call the ghetto even though its not even 5 blocks long and isnt really that dangerous.[/SIZE]
I completely agree with you KJZ 91 me from western part of Kenosha county but the thing is the city of Racine is complete junk area while Burlington aka western part of the county is the best area of the both honestly but i do think all of these comments are biased from Racine people who are used to junk piles and crap but in my opinion Kenosha is a prosperous county while Racine is on its last leg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin