Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 01:19 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,759,259 times

Advertisements

This is indeed an interesting thread. Human behavior is a funny thing. Speaking only for myself (and no doubt there are others like me). I do NOT like crowds. I am just not a crowd person. I tended to favor places that provided privacy and solace and peace. When I first discovered Door County some 35 years ago, it was like a refuge. A place one could go to get AWAY from the maddening world such as Northern Illinois was then and is now today. I never liked Illinois (for a number of reasons that being one). And of course now it would apply more than ever. I moved from there in the latter 70's and never looked back.

Door County IS a special place. I visited there in the early 2000's on a number of occasions so called "off season". I had an account I visited in Sturgeon Bay, but stayed up further North. I loved Ephraim and Sister Bay and the East side of the peninsula as well. The people I met up there were always kind and were locals, not transplants from our conversations. Whether or not the weather was nice I always enjoyed my visits up there. I can well understand how someone in their 50's (I just turned 56) would like to have exactly as they described, a haven from the craziness they had to live day to day before.

I don't think ANYONE would or should hold that against them. We as humans ( I think) enjoy the opportunity to just take a deep breath, let it all out and relax and try to enjoy as much as we can the lives we have. I am not entirely unsympathetic to those that have no love lost for the FIB's of the world. Quite honestly I never considered myself one of that type and the good folks of Wisconsin never treated me that way. Perhaps because I left that attitude back in Illinois and became ONE with the people I was around.

I truly feel for the lost livelihood's that the people up there have incurred due to the crappy way our government handled our trade methods. It is indeed a sad commentary on our government not working anymore for the people. But the place called Door County continues to hold a special place in my heart and mind, as it probably does and will for a good number of others. I won't use the word "magical" but it most certainly does hold a certain mystique about it that many other places don't quite measure up to. I hope the OP finds what they are looking for be it Door Country or not. There are a good number of places that meet the other criteria they mentioned. Call me crazy but I love the people of Wisconsin and they have always returned the favor when I was there. Bless them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 10:05 PM
enw

3 posts, read 3,464 times
Default Door County 2013

I am considering a job offer and would like to know where in Door County is ideal for a single mom with a 10 year old daughter? I desire a peaceful atmosphere that after reading these forums door county seems to offer. I am kind, down to earth and friendly and I desire the same from a town.
My daughter is very athletic and plays basketball, soccer and track so I would want an area with schools that offer a wide range of athletics. I do not mind the snow or the mild temps and in fact I am looking forward to the beauty that will come with this type of weather. Please give specific towns. I would like to consider Sturgeons Bay, rent a house and have easy access to Lake Michigan and wooded areas. I have never been to WI. Any information soon will be greatly appreciated

Warmly,

enw

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
just a thought, if you dont choose door county you might also like other small places like tomahawk, eagle river, or waupaca. they are all fairly small places, though bigger than the towns in door county (except sturgeon bay), but i dont believe they curl up and die through the winter. lots of lakes and trees and small town atmosphere in each of those places. my friend's parents recently retired in eagle river, actually.

how small are you looking? other ideas are shawano or rhinelander, which are a tad bigger but hey, more jobs. and rhinelander especially is out in the forest boonies! honestly i'm not sure what anyone in door county does except work/own a nicknack shop. (not meant to insult, but you know).

Old 10-11-2013, 10:06 PM
enw

3 posts, read 3,464 times
Also, I have researched the stats on the lack of cultural diversity, but wonder still if the town is accepting as my daughter is bi-racial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin