Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:59 AM

16 posts, read 107,109 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Peoria IL to Madison after having lived in Chicago for 10 yrs and Peoria for 2. I can't stand the humidity and there are some years I have felt the summer is less tolerable than the winters, believe it or not. I am hoping/wondering if the humidity/heat is better in Madison or Wisconsin in general than in Chicago or Peoria-- anyone able to comment on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 01:37 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 160500 View Post
We are moving from Peoria IL to Madison after having lived in Chicago for 10 yrs and Peoria for 2. I can't stand the humidity and there are some years I have felt the summer is less tolerable than the winters, believe it or not. I am hoping/wondering if the humidity/heat is better in Madison or Wisconsin in general than in Chicago or Peoria-- anyone able to comment on that?
It is all just about the same weather. Chicago's weather is Milwaukee's weather plus 2 degrees. Humidity is the same.

Madison in general is colder than Chicago/Milwaukee in the winter and can have some warmer stretches in early spring when Chicago/Milwaukee are still getting colder lake breezes.

Peoria, being a hare farther south, I would imagine might bring some slightly - very slightly - warmer temps at various points, but not drastically significant.

In terms of humidity though, overall it'll be the same as northern IL.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:10 PM

598 posts, read 1,546,675 times
Quote:
If humidity is a big issue, you should be moving to Colorado Springs. I'm originally from Wisconsin and I don't miss that humidity at all!!!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:52 PM

387 posts, read 1,331,774 times
Wisconsin is humid in the summer. Really most of the midwest is humid.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:22 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,281 times
Very humid. We run our A/C longer than we run our heat...seriously. I do, however, have an unusually low tolerance for heat and humidity.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 20,272 times
I've spent some time in the Chicago area in the summer and several summers in the Madison area. I would not move any farther north than Madison, because the winters are brutal. But in comparing Chicago to Madison, I would say there is less heat and humidity in Madison by about 10 degrees in the summer. When I was in Chicago, I noticed the humidity a good deal more than in Madison. Madison weather in the summer is really ideal, I think.

Milwaukee is probably more like Chicago with little difference really. Both on Lake Michigan, the humidity is probably more of a factor because of the moisture coming off the lake. The further away from the lake, the less the humidity. In Madison you have two smaller lakes, hardly could even be considered lakes (in Duluth, MN they would be called "ponds"), but enough to cool the neighborhoods in those areas just a bit in the summer. Humidity is also greater in areas dense with trees, which traps the humidity into a concentrated area.

Last edited by thoefl; 03-15-2009 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: gramatical error

Old 03-15-2009, 03:08 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
Its humid but I used my AC twice last summer, when I had company! I don't notice excessive humidity being between the lake and a river but some people say Two Rivers is awfully humid.

Over here on the NE side we never had a 90 and only a few high eighties. As they say, "cooler near the lake"!

Old 03-15-2009, 05:49 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,594,558 times
Quote:
No it isn't any better, and I am being honest! Remember we aren't too far from Chicago

I've noticed the humidity level in Madison has been downplayed in several threads here, but consider yourself forewarned.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:59 PM

387 posts, read 1,331,774 times
We live in northern WI and we rarely use the AC. And we have had less snow then the southern part of the state the last 2 years. But the southern part melts faster. After this fabulous weekend we got rid of most of our snow.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:32 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Not hot or humid enough, try Louisiana for humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin