Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:05 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,591,404 times

Advertisements

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on that one, radraja. I won't say that non-natives will always be accepted as one of the gang - but they certainly won't always be viewed as an outsider. I know many 'outsiders' who are so in tune with the communities they've moved to that you'd never know they hadn't grown up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 08:32 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,826 times
I went to high school and college in Wisconsin, and couldn't wait to get the heck out!!! I have lived in small (Minocqua) towns and big (Milwaukee) cities and the weather is just beyond awful. To me, it trumps anything that is good about the state. I would get sooooooo depressed in the long winters - I felt like I was living in a cave. Some summers I didn't even get to wear shorts or go swimming more than a few times because it never got that warm. Fall is beautiful, I will say that.

Don't move to WI unless you want to live in a cold, dark cave for about 7 months out of the year. I am deadly serious. I used to walk to college classes with a wind chill of -20 and it wasn't fun. I have since lived in Los Angeles and all over Florida, and this is really living!

One more thing - the people aren't all that friendly, no more so than any other place I have lived in. And it is true - there are many close-minded people there who never intend to leave the state - they are born there and die there and don't care to know about any other places in the country. I know this is true of a lot of people in a lot of other states, but there are so many with this mindset in WI.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:44 PM

286 posts, read 1,150,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
I went to high school and college in Wisconsin, and couldn't wait to get the heck out!!! I have lived in small (Minocqua) towns and big (Milwaukee) cities and the weather is just beyond awful. To me, it trumps anything that is good about the state. I would get sooooooo depressed in the long winters - I felt like I was living in a cave. Some summers I didn't even get to wear shorts or go swimming more than a few times because it never got that warm. Fall is beautiful, I will say that.

Don't move to WI unless you want to live in a cold, dark cave for about 7 months out of the year. I am deadly serious. I used to walk to college classes with a wind chill of -20 and it wasn't fun. I have since lived in Los Angeles and all over Florida, and this is really living!

One more thing - the people aren't all that friendly, no more so than any other place I have lived in. And it is true - there are many close-minded people there who never intend to leave the state - they are born there and die there and don't care to know about any other places in the country. I know this is true of a lot of people in a lot of other states, but there are so many with this mindset in WI.
Do you feel better now for coming in here and dumping? Do you have anything civil to say? How is the LA smog? How are the phony plastic people? How is the stalled traffic? Troll.
Apologies to WI readers, but this guy annoys me. I'll take down my post if anyone is offended.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:53 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,610,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallon View Post
Do you feel better now for coming in here and dumping? Do you have anything civil to say? How is the LA smog? How are the phony plastic people? How is the stalled traffic? Troll.
Apologies to WI readers, but this guy annoys me. I'll take down my post if anyone is offended.

I agree with you Gallon.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:56 PM

122 posts, read 519,480 times
I've lived in NW WI all my life. "We" --most (99%) folks I know in this area--are extremely accepting of newcomers, unless they are not law-abiding citizens, then you're on your own.

I don't understand how folks can post otherwise.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:15 PM

I know what you mean countrygal. Our subdivision that I grew up was full of transplants and about 60% locals. We all got along for the most part. Had block parties the whole nine yards.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:16 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,591,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post

Just to clear up gypsystar's misconception of WI weather - yes, winters can be bad. I hate them too. But it's not like it's 20 below for 7 months straight and it's certainly not horribly cold for that amt of time either. She's complained about it being chilly in LA too, if that's any indication.

We're not all gypsies like you, gypsystar. You've said yourself in another post that you get easily bored and like to move every 3 years or so. More power to you if you can do that; some of us prefer to remain in one place instead of hopping around. Doesn't mean any of us are less traveled or less cultured. For all you know I've been to more countries and states that you have. Right?

Old 07-24-2008, 09:27 PM

Good Point Wigirl. I didn't even notice that she moved so often.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 PM

656 posts, read 1,309,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallon View Post
I agree with gallon too. I can tell you first hand that L.A. is definitely not utopia. it's dirty and run down and full of gang bangers and homeless. i would leave here to go to WI tomorrow if i could. also, gypsy there's nothing wrong with you feeling the way you do however don't assume that because you do everyone else should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin