Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 05:53 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I know your from the New England so I have a question. Isn't customary to shovel your sidewalks when it snows? I was never told I had to, I just always thought it was courteous. Plus shoveling is really good excercise!
Where I've lived, the city always takes care of it. The only people who shovel sidewalks are the business owners downtown who don't want to wait for the sidewalk plows to come through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 06:55 PM

14,323 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I bought a house on the corner, knowing I would be responsible for the public sidewalk, it was that way in Illinois, too unless you live in a suburb like Lake Forest or Deerfield where they do handle walkways.

Boy, it was cold this weekend, plus raining on Thursday when we drove to DesMoines! On Saturday, we woke up to snow, at least an inch on the grass in some places. People that drove in on Sat. a.m. for the wedding said they drove through December-like weather!

Due to the cooler than normal weather, plus the lack of a great deal of color, I came straight home rather than driving along the Mississippi River north, which was my original plan. Leaves are changing but not like normal, seems many are falling before the change!

Old 10-12-2009, 05:30 AM

620 posts, read 1,838,821 times
Oh --- that's too bad you couldn't have driven along the Mississippi on the way back, Susan! We had light snow for a small period of time around noon on Saturday and then sun but boy was it cold for this time of year!

Old 10-12-2009, 07:28 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,673 times
Drinking coffee and watching the snow fall... I'm not amused since I didn't get a chance to head out with my camera and take some Fall photos. Looks like I'll be getting some odd looking Winter shots this week though!

Old 10-12-2009, 09:31 AM

647 posts, read 1,663,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
Drinking coffee and watching the snow fall... I'm not amused since I didn't get a chance to head out with my camera and take some Fall photos. Looks like I'll be getting some odd looking Winter shots this week though!

I hear ya TT. I didn't get nearly the amount of shots that I wanted to. I was laid up last week with back problems. It still hurts a bit, but at least I am able to work.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:15 PM

647 posts, read 1,663,880 times
Thanks Susan.....The backs getting a little better. I was on some strong meds and am now going to rehab.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:21 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,673 times
Got a back problem myself, so I completely sympathize with you and hope you're feeling better.

I'm driving myself nuts at the moment. Everytime I look out the window I keep singing "It's begining to look a lot like Christmas". Can't believe it hasn't quit snowing once today.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:41 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
So we are 20 degrees below normal and snow in the twin cities and Al Gore was in Milwaukee recently and part of his speech stips were that no one was allowed to ask him about Global Warming...hmmmm.

I guess Global Warming is more of a religion than a science, you just have to believe.

Anyways, for as much I you all know how much I hate winter and the cold. I am actually enjoying fall this year but when we get below 40 that's too cold for me. I went golfing Saturday morning and I have to tell you, fall my be my favorite time of the year to golf. It was so nice out with the wind blowing and the colors in the trees and GOLF! I had thought I was in Heaven.

PS: Who needs a psychiatrist when you have golf, you'll forget all your problems as soon as you take your first shot!!

Old 10-14-2009, 06:09 PM

947 posts, read 2,423,543 times
While the kids are small, I enjoyed living in an area with sidewalks, sought this out as part of the amenities I looked for in a neighborhood. And with sidewalks comes the chore of keeping them safe for passersby.

Children, some quite small, the elderly, etc. can be hurt if they fall on ice and snow.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:36 AM

14,323 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I was born in Evanston, Illinois grew up with sidewalks until we moved to Mundelein.

I like sidewalks, when I was searching towns, I wanted them. Someone pointed out buying on a corner would give me lots to shovel! I love being outdoors, don't mind shoveling, my neighbors help if we get buried.

If they are busy and I don't think I can handle it, I have someone I can call I pay them to do it. I am on a corner and have a double driveway, too, goes with the territory. Two Rivers is a walking town, people walk to Aurora's clinic and grocery store both just a few blocks from here, I have to shovel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin